jj abrams not in 3rd star trek movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013...cting-star-wars-what-happens-to-star-trek/#/0

2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a 1970s cult-classic TV show (video below) that could use re-booting with a film franchise.
    It doesn't need to be Abrams, but it would be great if some studio finally gives this TV show a big-picture treatment (I've heard rumors about a possible film, but just rumors).

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY[/yt]

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

^ UFO was cheesy awesome. And The Cumberbatch's mum was in it, too.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

:sigh: One movie that I wish Disney would give a sequel to.

5. Jackson_Roykirk

The effects were all Gerry Anderson (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlett, Space 1999), and they DID have a certain cheesiness, but in a good way. The show itself (story-wise) was often very well done.

I just looked that up! I obviously remember Virginia Lake from UFO (she was one of the many hotties on that show), but I seriously had no idea that the actress (Wanda Ventham) was Cumberbatch's mother. I'm not sure how I ever missed that.

Thanks for that! :techman:

EDIT TO ADD:
    Colonel Virginia Lake (Wanda Ventham -- Cumberbatch's mum):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSwV7KJkw84[/yt]

6. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Well, well, someone who is actually in the know acknowledges that this is a big change and that JJ is moving on to bigger and better things. But don't let that temper your flat denials and blind optimism.

LOL, see post #604 in that thread.

Seems like my "forbidden" metaphor has appeared there too.

7. Jackson_Roykirk

Did you like the first one, or are you hoping they do a better job the next time around?

Personally, I fondly remember the Edgar Rice Burroughs books (although I haven't read them in years) but didn't really like last year's film version all that much. I would like to see them make a sequel, but hopefully do a better job.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean someone like the Paramount Vice Chairman?

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013...cting-star-wars-what-happens-to-star-trek/#/0

9. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Wow, he will be involved "in some capacity" with a "possible" third film as a "producer" (executive, associate, producer in name only?). That statement says very little, really.

I'll take the reluctant testimony of a creative insider than the boiler-plate assurance of a studio suit in damage control mode.

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

You really like spinning everything just to fit your argument, don't you?

11. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I think its way too soon to say who will be directing future ST or SW movies until the ones that JJ have been contracted to do have been made.

Afterall, the proof is in the pudding. If these movies fail I bet both companies will find a way to release him from these contracts.

I would like say, though, if JJ is doing all these new, hot movies, that doesn't leave any room for any up and coming directors. Which is a pity. Being a creative all my life, I have always believed in giving new talent a chance...it's only fair.

And second, if I was Paramount and I found out what JJ was pulling, he'd be fired plain and simple. Working on these two movies is a conflict of interest and I, as a producer, would feel betrayed. It's about ethics. I'd even do it to Spielberg if did this to me.

12. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

No, I just like being on the right side of the argument.

John Elway, for example, offered a similar noncommittal/lukewarm assurance last year when he stated that Tim Tebow would be the starting quarterback going into training camp for the Broncos. This was as much as he could really say, and even so, they still traded the Tebow-circus to the Jets before training camp.

And reluctant testimony (e.g., Orci) really is more valuable, because it cuts against the grain of the bias of the witness. If mom testifies that her baby is a saint and would never hurt anyone, we shrug, because we expect that mother would be biased to protect her child. When mom, however, reluctantly testifies that her son is violent and vicious, we take note that this is probably true for if she were to lie she would lie in the other direction.

More JJ from same link:

“There were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things."

So much for loyalty. But hey, throw me a few million and I'll dump Star Trek as well.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

From punchbowls to Tebow?

Are you for real?

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

And I could do with Bob Orci's quote the exact same thing you did to the other quote. The simple fact is, we don't know whats going to happen with the third film. Paramount doesn't know. Bob Orci doesn't know. All that IS known is that JJ is under contract with Paramount for a third film in some capacity Period. I would say most likely that JJ won't direct it, and that one of his directorial buddies like Matt Reeves will probably do it, while Abrams produces. Your continued insistence that it's all over and that Bad Robot and JJ are through with Trek, just because you think they are, and so it'll fit your random high school dance analogy, is tiresome.

15. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I know! How dare I use metaphors and examples. It's like I have a life and a knowledge base that exists outside of Star Trek or something.

Are you? Do you have anything substantive to say? Or are you going to keep complaining about the form of the argument since it appears you cannot engage with the actual matter of the argument?

Then do so. Let's not talk about what you could do. Do it.

To a certainty? No. Can we project what is likely? Yes.

And this in itself would seem to cut against the grain against of that desperate optimism that everything is normal or better than ever.

"In some capacity" - which really shows how tenuously he is now linked with the film.

There you go! We can say things after all! We have exceeded the "Period!" you so adamantly announced in the prior sentence. And I happen to agree with this prediction.

When did I say this? Exactly? Hmm? I said that JJ will now be substantively focused on Star Wars. Your prediction coincided with my own. Why are we arguing?

My argument does not stand on any metaphor, rather a metaphor serves to elucidate a relationship by comparison. It makes what should be obvious to others more perspicuous.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  16. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

How do you figure this is a conflict of interest? Maybe to nerds around the world who can't like both ST & SW, but not to movie studios.
    Directors are never tied down to one studio.
    And it looks as if Bad Robot will still be co-producing the next Trek film (if there is one, and I assume there will be). No conflict of interest.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, Abrams was employed by Disney (working on Lost) when he first worked with Paramount on Mission Impossible and then moved onto Trek. Nothing new here, really.

18. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

TMP was made (rather than a new series) because Paramount wanted to compete with 20th Century Fox's hot new property. The whole reason Trek got into the film business was to compete with Star Wars.

Star Trek and Star Wars are most visible and lucrative sci-fi franchises in history. They are the Coke and Pepsi of Sci-Fi. Would it be a conflict of interest if the Chairman of marketing ofr Pepsi announced that he would be helming Coke's new marketing campaign?

There is an argument to be had that it is an ethical conflict of interest.

My contention, however, is that what really matters is that it does amount to a conflict in terms of time, creativity, and attention. Star Wars is HUGE. JJ will really need to focus on this property. Ethical or not, there are only so many hours in a day.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Well conceived metaphors and analogies are always welcome. :)
    Good for you. :techman:

I engage plenty, and I attribute as much matter and substance as the argument necessitates, which is to say none.

Your argument doesn't stand on anything. That's the whole problem. You've made an ostentatious show of crying over the spilt milk. You can blame the cat, the wind, or Sid the wily dairy gnome. In the end you have to clean up and move on. The rest of us did that on Friday. Yet you continue to play the victim where there was no crime. Now the shit has curdled on the floor.

Move on, dude and find something better to occupy your time. At the very least, you can always hang with Tebow by the punchbowl and watch Sanchez do the tango with his career.

20. royalfan5

royalfan5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except that Coke and Pepsi are perpetually locked in competition against each other in a wide variety of places at all times. A Trek Film and A Wars Film will likely never be released in anything resembling the same time slot. Plus, it's not like people are out there thinking that in the next two years I am only going to see one Sci-Fi movie, because the same guy is directing both.