(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

It is a shame the two probably won't be reunited this season. Unfortunately Everton just don't have the money that their rivals do. If Donovan were to go to a different club, Everton fans would probably be okay about it - not much the club could do about it and Everton know how they stand financially.

I'm not sure where else he would go really. Man City and Spurs don't need him, not sure Villa would be able to afford him either, and it doesn't sound like any of the mid-table teams are looking at him. I'd love to see him back in the English league but I don't think it's going to happen.

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

That's too bad. Considering what a rough go he had of it in the Bundesliga I wonder if something might happen over there. If one of the German teams could grab him he'd certainly being playing with a chip on his shoulder.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And for a left-back, he can't cross a ball for shit.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I always said while the better defender, Wayne Bridge was far superior in terms of crossing but lucky for Cole hes a great defender. Theres a good chance Gibbs will become the left back at Arsenal so if he also takes Cole place I wonder will he throw in the towel and retire because we all know Cashleys like to be number 1.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Typical, I'm out of the country and so can't watch us beat Leeds on the telly, then I come back and decide to go to the Cardiff game only to see us lose!

Good game though, a draw would have probably been a fair result, and we could have won it. HappyDayRiot, I think Olofinjana will be a good signing for you, and I'm really glad McNaughton seems ok. He was down for an awful long time and you always think the worst in those circumstances.

We seem same old Derby, good team riddled with injury problems and stop gap players already Varney did ok up front on his own but scary if we're having to throw him in three games into the season when we're supposed to be loaning him out!

6. HappyDayRiot

Bad luck with your game selection haha! You taught Leeds a lesson though so don't worry about. You're right about Kev's injury, I did think the worst! He got clattered against the Sheffield thugs last week, and 15 minutes is a damn long time to be down. He's a hard man though, Kev, he'll be back soon. Matthews is a more than capable replacement long or short-term.

I've not see Seyi play yet - I was a bit dubious when he signed, but since then I've considered his stints at Stoke and Hull in the Prem, and apparently Dave Jones signed him for Wolves way back when so he's got more pedigree than I realised. I hear he can pick a mean pass too, which we sorely need someone to do. With him and Koumas I'm happy with us going forward. Please, please, please strengthen at the back though, or at least play Gerrard and someone, anyone, better than Hudson.

Which is my way of saying god I hope Bellamy doesn't sign for us. He's a menace. He'd destroy a lot of this division, but surely he'd cost too much even on loan and rub people up the wrong way. A luxury we don't need in my opinion.

Weren't some of Derby's players playing out of position, or have I just forgotten some of them over the summer?

ETA: and wasn't it lovely to see Ipswich still know how to throw away a nailed-on win and have a nice 1-1 draw instead? My optimism for the season keeps on growing.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Still think Bristol City will go up? I didn't see that coming, although lets face it Copell has form! Can't believe two high profile resignations while I was away. I texted my mate who's a Villa fan wishing him a happy birthday and that's how I learned O'Neill had gone!

Re Derby don't think anyone was playing out of position per se, but we're playing a 4-2-3-1 formation and Varney isn't suited to a lone striker role. Interesting to note that our back 4 and keeper had the numbers 1,2,3,5,6 how often do you see that these days!

McNaughton is in the wars lately then, I think he went down not long before he got clattered again Saturday. I felt v proud to be a Ram given how he was applauded off the pitch as the stretcher went round the outside to get to the tunnel.

I'll be amazed if Bellamy goes to you rather than say Fulham, Hughes seems to take him everywhere. I agree though, possibly more trouble than he's worth unless the manager can get the best out of him ala Hughes or Bobby Robson did. He would annihilate teams in this division though.

8. HappyDayRiot

Well we got Bellamy I'll make the most of it - look out Doncaster!

I think it's very unfair to say Coppell has form in leaving a club after a very short space of time. He's one of only about half a dozen managers to hit the 1000 game mark in English football. He clearly has personal reasons for leaving Bristol City and Man City before that, and I don't see any reason anyone should be privy to them. Bristol have dropped a few places in my estimation though - top half now.

1-6 in the back row? That is unheard of outside the Dutch team! Well done Derby! Nice of you all to clap Kev off as well. I always make a point to do that, and I think it's only idiots who don't.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^ Well we do have Johnny Metgod on our coaching staff :D It sounds very defensive but it really isn't (going on Saturday's evidence!)

Re Copell. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of time for the guy, I think he was a v good manager, especially at Reading, but for years now you get the feeling his heart wasn't in it. He nearly left Reading when they went down, and how many times did he leave Palace/go back again? He wasn't at Brighton long either.

I think their are obviously personal issues at play, and we shouldn't speculate, but I think he's done the best thing in leaving now, and in announcing he's retired for good.

Cardiff are certainly doing well considering you were almost wound up a short time back!

10. HappyDayRiot

Got another winding-up petition against us today! Good grief we threw money around.

But in this case, can we not just give Paul Quinn back to Motherwell? I mean, it's not like we need him, or that he's good...

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well you can't say Spurs aren't entertaining a true tale of two halves. Spurs will over turn them at home thanks to that wonderful goal from Pav at the end.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's what you get for singing Bellamy when you still owe creditors I guess! It sounds like it should all be done and dusted soon enough.

13. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm happy. :)

3-1 at home vs Sampdoria is a good result going into the second leg. Obviously I would've preferred a 3-0, but conceding a goal in the last minutes is typical Bremen.
    I think we'll score at least one in Genua, so I'm confident.

We're also doing our part to getting that 4th CL spot. Werder vs. Italian teams over the last five years:

W D L
    6 5 2

Edit: Just saw this nice article on goal.com. Makes for lovely reading right now. :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  14. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    Were you there in the stadium? I watched it on tv and the support of the Sampdoria fans came across just phenomenally, it was hugely impressive.

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to today, first game for Saints in a couple of weeks (match last week was postponed due to our owner passing away). We lost the first game so really need to beat Leyton Orient just to get some momentum going.

I also had to revamp my fantasy team after just one week :lol:

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Same had to use Wild card so wouldn't lose any points, had quite a few to make.

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^I had Rodellaga in for the first week because I thought Wigan would easily beat Blackpool. That plan did not work.

Speaking of Blackpool they got a proper welcome to the Premiership. Reading the BBC text commentary it appeared as though the penalty call may have been a mistake. Will have to see what they say about that on MOTD/Goals on Sunday.

So Bale and Walcott, two ex-Saints had good days today. Saints did not, only drawing 1-1 with Leyton Orient. The season is only two games old but we do need to pick up a win soon if we're serious about getting promoted.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well my fantasy team has Walcott and Nolan in it! Whoo hoo!

Welcome to the Prem Blackpool...as for Wigan, might someone about to beat Derby's lowest points record?

Villa need a manager I think, not sure Bob Bradley is the man for the job though...

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^
    I had a good weekend and shot up to 3rd with Bale and Drogba getting me 15 and 26 points each. Just thought we should of done a BBS league on the Premier League website, oh well nex season I guess :p.

The papers are buzzing that Arteta could be named by Capello in the next Eng squad this saturday night. I think he is a wonderful player who is in the scholes mould of being a brilliant passer of the ball and can control the tempo of your attack but HES NOT ENGLISH. This would only create a backlash and besides we should have Milner, Rodwell, Wilshire and Gerrard in the midfield so we don't need him.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

if he's eligible he's got every right to be picked imo. Any pretense of the England team being English went out the window when we decided we could have a non-English manager. And frankly it isn't like our squad is so strong that we couldn't use the reinforcement. Other international teams do this, about time we did.

Of course all this supposes Arteta would even want to play for England...