The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I really need to see this thing in IMax myself.

And, to the several dozen parents who brought their 6 year-olds and younger to this afternoon's showing? SHAME on you.

I hope your children have nightmares for a month.

2. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I havent seen the movie and I do not feel a rush to see it even though I am a big fan of superheroes.

I am just stumped by the people that are willing to pay 50 or more dollars to see the movie. It makes no sense to me. What is the rush that you have to see it. On the news, some movie goer said that they would be willing to pay 150 dollars to see the movie and they expected it to be sold out for weeks. I think that is nonsense. There is no way that the movie is going to be sold out for weeks. If you want to see it that badly go see it during a week day.

3. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it at midnight on Thursday and the theater was packed. They sold out eight theaters and everyone got there an hour early. Heath Ledger owned that movie, and he deserves an Oscar. Otherwise, I enjoyed the movie and thought it was pretty good, but not four stars good. It's not worth all the hype and the fuss the critics are making over it. And the plot was better than Batman Begins.

4. Trekker4747

Thursday's midnight showings here were sold out at 4 500+ person screens in a theater down the street, 2 500+ screens at another theater, 2 500+ screens at another, and one 300 screen at the theater I ended up seeing at -at it's second 200+ screen. I bought my ticket at around 10, got to the theater at 10:30 or so and there was a small handful of people there.

I went and saw this afternoon with my roomate who bought our tickets this afternoon for what turned out to be a sold-out 3:30p showing -very unusual for this theater.

Now, granted, we live in a very saturated theater market. There's scores of screens in reasonable driving distance of me. So getting a ticket isn't an issue for me. I can't see it being all that different in other places. If you want in you can get in without over-paying for the ticket.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I think that they might. My sister was going to take my niece and nephew earlier this evening (8 and 12 respectively) and I told her not to.

I'm hoping I wake up on Monday morning to hear that it squashed SpiderMan 3 like a bug.

6. Trekker4747

I'm sure it will.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ I wonder what the I'm a Marvel and I'm Batman will do with this...

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw Batman and Batman Returns around that age, never had any nightmares. I was watching Batman Returns on some movie channel a few weeks ago and boy that movie was awful bloody and such.

9. Trekker4747

Kids these days are FAR more sheltered and TDK is far darker than Batman '89 and Returns.

It's not about blood. It's about style and attitude.

10. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it wasn't $200 million, but they did blow everyone away! $155+ million. Warners estimated was off by one-third below, and the other tracking sources where about $15 million shy. :techman:

11. Trekker4747

Minus marketing the movie paid for itself in three days. Not too shabby. And it should remain real strong in the BO. Mulder and Scully haven't a chance to de-throne TDK.

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow. This is incredible. Even I didn't expect the film to do this well.

What an awesome time to be a Batman fan. :D

13. T'Pers0n

T'Pers0n Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw people come in all the obvious costumes: Jokers, Arkham prisoners, Batman, Riddler. But, someone at one of the showings surprised me. They came as Bruce Wayne. Not only did they have the suit and hair, but they came in Bruce's Lamborghini. That time I saw the movie, the theater was in the middle of no where.

14. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

My wife and I wanted to avoid crowds and lines as best as possible, so we saw a 10am showing on Saturday, and the theater was packed. I imagine the afternoon shows all sold out.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I think someone said something similar about three prostitutes and their mom dethroning Indy, yet they did. So, you never know.

However, you're probably right.

16. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also doubt the X-Files will do better then the Dark Knight next weekend, but then again I doubt it needs to, I'm sure the X-Files has a much smaller budget then the Dark Knight.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The X-Files, according to rumor, had a budget in the 30-50 million dollar range. The Dark Knight cost 180 million dollars, which puts it 3-6 times as expensive. And let's not forget the cost of marketing, which I'd estimate as being considerably greater in quantity for Batman than it has been for the X-Files.

I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up being equally profitable, although the Dark Knight is going to be a powerhouse for the rest of the month.

18. Trekker4747

Three prostitutes and their mom...

:confused:

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

^ "Sex and the City"

20. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Did anyone else catch this? At about 2 hours 9 minutes into the film, right after the ferry civilian remarks that "no one wants to get their hands dirty" and we go back to the fight between Bats and the Joker, Joker says, "Of all the old familair places..."

What of it, right?

Well, as far as I can tell, the line is from a song as I'm sure many of you know.

What really gets me is that the song is titled "I'll be seeing you"...

How prophetic to have Heath as the Joker say that, in hindsight. :(