Future of Star Trek...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by davidl28, Aug 3, 2014.

1. davidl28

davidl28 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The bottom line: The type and quantity of Star Trek merchandise/consumer goods just isn't very good for Star Trek fans as compared to Star Wars to appeal to young kids--and that's ashame... we need a Star Trek animated series and better toys...

The reaction./sights at San Diego Comic Con is a defining moment in my mind.. looking at kids clamoring at new Star Wars toys/Star Wars legos vs. Star Trek "Hallmark" ornaments

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

LOL... says it all really.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It seemed that at some point after TOS or TAS, Trek began to skew exclusively towards older audiences, although the recent Abrams' movies kinda reversed the trend a bit, IMO. Even so, I think there's still this perceived notion that Trek is for older folks, and the merchandise tends to be more towards adult collectors than kids.

As such, I also think Trek should diversify more and do an animated series aimed at a younger crowd, in its own continuity, and with a toyline to match.

4. Garren

Garren Lieutenant Red Shirt

The two properties are very different, though. I consider Star Wars an Action Fantasy Epic but consider Star Trek a Science Fiction Adventure.

Star Wars is about heroism, romance, and dramatic duels where the fate of worlds lies at the balance. Naturally, that's going to come with some pretty awesome toys and spawn iconic characters that are based around good and evil. It's a kids show in a nut shell.

Star Trek is about concepts, ideals, and cultures. While there are struggles against other races, there's no romance inspiring a grand battle between two heated rivals. There are political struggles, negotiations. The tension and action is derived from either scientific mystery or peace talks. Sure there's some ship or phaser action in there but there's no Good vs Evil driving it.

Thinking back to when I watched TNG a year or so ago, and to when I saw episodes as a kid, TNG did not bend a knee for children. It stood tall and spoke to the adults. If that ended up drawing in children as a result, that was just a bonus.

I think the appeal, for kids, would be the science fiction itself just as a some kids really like a good novel vs kids who like Call of Duty action games vs those in between.

Unfortunately, though, because Star Trek is the way it is, I don't see toys becoming popular for the franchise in the same way that Star Wars does and that's because of their fundamental differences in attraction.

Star Trek would have to abandon its identity if it wanted to compete in the toy market against Star Wars but I wouldn't really want to see that happen.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

:borg: "Resistance is futile."

:lol: Two words: Wesley Crusher.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek (including my favorite: TOS) is pretty kid friendly compared to literary sci-fi. Many fans started watching TOS and TNG as kids and teens and had no issue grasping what was going on.

7. Garren

Out of all 178 episodes of TNG, only about 6 of them physically featured the Borg. In the episode "I, Borg", we are introduced to the concept that the Borg are not Evil and can be sympathetic. So we could say only 5 episodes featured the Borg as antagonists. If we take this a step further, the two parter Decent features two factions of Borg, thanks to Picard's decisions in "I, Borg." The opposing faction is being manipulated by Lore. The rebel group is lead by Hugh.

While the Borg are introduced as antagonists, much like the Klingons, Romulans, or Cardassians, they are not labeled as evil but as a race that holds aggressive ideals that can be reasoned with.

Which is my point entirely.

Star Trek is not about battles of good versus evil, unlike Star Wars. The Borg are a race, or collective hive, of species that adapt and try to improve themselves for the benefit of the whole instead of the one. They are just another civilization that runs by a unique logic.

In Star Wars, you have the Empire. They are evil. They want to control the universe and they will blow up planets just because. You can try to argue the Empire's motives and that the people who comprise the Empire aren't evil, just their Emperor. But the movies do not make this argument. If they did, they'd have some explaining to do when presumably thousands of innocent workmen die in the great Death Star tragedy (and again when construction on the second Death Star is bombed.)

There is no negotiation with the Empire, there's no middle ground for understanding. It's light sabers out, choir-chaotic music on. It's feeling over thought and that resonates more with action figures.

Case and point: In TNG's "Silicon Avatar" the Crystalline Entity returns, feeding off planets and colonists. Naturally, some want this alien destroyed because it's devouring humans and destroying colonies. But Captain Picard hunts the being to find a peaceful resolution... to understand it - not to destroy it. Picard makes the argument that the Crystalline Entity has as much right to live as a human and they may be able to find another way for it to feed or live.

Star Trek had an opportunity to go a "good versus evil" route by saying "Crystal monster BAD! Federation GOOD!" But it didn't. It went with negotiation.

Check.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

They tried to communicate with the Crystalline Entity—and Dr. Marr locked them out and blew it up as if shattering a piece of glass.

The problem here is that it's much more nuanced than you're making it out to be. Contrary to what you are saying, the episode actually went with "Crystal monster BAD! Federation GOOD!" It's just that they also followed that up with an expression that it was the wrong choice.

It doesn't do your argument any favors not to get the details right about what actually happened. But even beyond that, I think you're oversimplifying by painting with too broad a brush.

Historically, Star Trek toys appeared before Star Wars ever came out. I know; I had plenty of them! Star Trek is a perfect fit for toys, even if right now there is much greater demand for Star Wars items overall.

9. Garren

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

I paint with broad strokes to give a more vivid picture of the differences. If I use too many colors, the general comparison between two franchises may be lost in the shading. (am I going to far with the painting analogy you provided? lol)

There's a market for Star Trek toys, sure. I had an Enterprise bridge playset growing up. But the argument posited in this topic was why are Wars toys more popular? To which my point is that Wars is more about passion and Trek more about logic. Sure, that's a broad statement because arguments will be made for both franchises that they are equally complex in their own universe but the point still stands.

10. BillJ

I think an argument could be made that TNG sucked the passion out of Star Trek. Star Trek provoked plenty of emotional responses from me over the years. The Next Generation and its spinoffs, not so much.

I'm still in love with Star Trek. That isn't the case with The Next Generation and its spinoffs. It isn't to say that those shows are bad, there was just nothing about them that gave me that feeling deep down inside, nothing that has resonated long-term.

Anything with the Star Trek name on it can't be as emotionally sterile as the spinoffs were or else they'll fail.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

You might be over thinking this, produce the games and they will come. Old FASA and currently Star Trek Online show that it is quite easy to play combat games within the Star Trek universe.

FASA didn't disappear because it wasn't any fun and no one played it, it disappeared because CBS television canceled their licensing.

People don't buy Star Trek toys in part because you simply can't find them.

If you can have Skywalker battle a Stormtrooper, you can have Kirk battle a Klingon.

Don't worry about the rules, the kids will create their own.

:)

12. The Colonel

The Colonel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I was born in 1988 and growing up I remember a lot of kids (including me) who were really into TNG and large collections of toys that always sold well. This seemed to drop off during DS9 and VOY. It's strange to me now thinking back on it. TNG doesn't seem like something kids would be into. It was often very ponderous and formulaic and it had very little action. I can't really say why I was drawn to it myself, other than I've always liked Sci-fi from as far back as I can remember.

As far as getting kids into Star Trek now, I don't think it's really necessary for the franchise to be successful. As long as their is a diverse cross section of adults in the fan base (boomers to millennials) it doesn't matter if people come to the franchise later.

The most important thing right now is for Star Trek to gain some sense of direction and return to its roots without reliving the past. For that we need a new TV series not these dumbed down Hollywood blockbusters with Star Trek themes.

13. TerraNovan

TerraNovan Lieutenant Commander

Lol I started watching it when I was six. I loved star trek from the beginning, wesley crusher was my hero until I was about 8 or so.

I loved star trek toys.

I had
    gowron, two worfs and his wife, lore, dianna troy, wesley crusher, a riker toy, possibly a picard etc. Even had a ferringy game.

Granted the toys were low quality action figures I can remember them all falling apart rather quick.

Add to that many of the ones I wanted were hard to find.

But make no mistake I never even hear of star wars until 1996 when they did the re-release. From 93-99 star trek was king for me.

14. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I look around and see how Trek as a franchise is falling way behind the others. Marvel has two movies a year, a live action series and a couple of animated series, and some Netflix shows coming up. Star Wars is going to have new movie episodes with solo character movies in between and another animated series. Even DC is ramping up its franchise. Trek doing a movie every two or three years shows how far they've fallen. They gotta pick up the pace!

15. Hober Mallow

I'd rather Star Trek be a good movie/TV series than be a "franchise," churning out product after product to be consumed. IMO, Star Trek's biggest problem was that it became a franchise in the first place, churning out crap just to get something out there.

16. TerraNovan

I think they are quickly approaching burnout phase.

They flooded the market with low quality product and are bound for a burnout.

Pop corn flicks are great and all, but they generally have a rather short generational life cycle.

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Ummm ... the movies and the TV episodes themselves are products.

:)

18. BillJ

Of course it is all product. But what went on in the late-90's made it feel like McTrek.

19. Hober Mallow

Exactly. There's a difference between a writer/producer having something to say with the Star Trek universe and a studio throwing a series together just for the sake of throwing something out there.

20. TerraNovan

Fine dining versus fast food.