Plot for a new Star Trek Series

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dan_bevan, Jul 27, 2013.

1. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Millenia ago a race known as the Iconians flourished, they were the dominant force of the galaxy and their empires reached every corner. This was until an unknown species even more powerful than the Iconians appeared from another dimension and lay siege to them, wiping their entire civilization out and purging them from the galaxy.

In 2899 the Federation has reached its peak, and the galaxy is a peaceful place. Mankind has lost its curiosity and will to explore the outer reaches of the galaxy and is instead only concerned in keeping the peace of the Federation and making it a secure place.

This is until a group of Iconians appear in the Alpha Quadrant, shocked to see Iconians alive they are even more shocked to hear their warnings. The species that wiped them out are back, their singularity has reopened, as it does every millenia and they are back once more to purge the galaxy again.

The Federation quickly puts together a new crew: Their Captain is young war hero and somewhat of a celebrity in the Federation after succesfully defending a number of skirmishes. He also has an ego to match. His first officer is a Starfleet Intelligence Operative who is very 'by the book' and who has been strategically placed on their ship to undermine the Captain and will resort to any means necessary to ensure the mission is a success.

Their 'conflicted' crew is made up of a number of misfits, but their passion for exploration makes them relics of a time gone past, but they will have to join together and put their differences aside to defend the galaxy from the Purge...

2. dan_bevan

Re: Plot for a new Star Trek Series
    This is my idea for a new star trek show, i have plans for a pilot and some ideas for future episodes. I have a few ideas on other characters and actors who I could see playing them. The idea I have could be for either a tv show / web fan series / books.

I am looking for others to join me in this project. Would anyone be interested in helping me put this project together?

3. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Have you looked at the Star Trek: Gateway group? Same time period... but the other group, it's the Empire from Star Wars!

4. cheesepuff316

cheesepuff316 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sounds awesome :D

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

This is the forum for fan-made films and other productions. And you've already posted this over on Future of Trek.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A show about yet another enemy that's supposed to be even more dangerous than the Klingons/Romulans/Borg/Hirogen/8472/Whatever?
    And we should care, because?

Personally, I stopped giving a shit about the enemy of the season years ago.
    The overuse of that trope after TNG (and on Stargate as well) more than cured me of that.

7. dan_bevan

No I haven't seen that. Could be helpful... Do you have the link?

Yeah i've realised now that i put it in the wrong forum. Ive now posted it in here because Im trying to get people involved in a project to produce a fan film.

So let me get this straight... U want a Trek with no baddies and no threat...!?! Sounds like boreville mate. No Trek tv show would work without a credible threat to the Federation.

Granted Voyager dragged out the Borg to death and Trek needed a shake up but where would TOS and TNG be without the Klingons or Romulans? I think ur in a minority mate.

If the bad guys are done the right way then it could make for a successful series.

8. lennier1

1. Get a spell checker. We have the technology!
    2. Trying to twist my words won't make your idea any better.
    3. I don't have a problem with conflict in a show, but if the whole premise of your show consists of just pulling yet another big bad enemy out of your ass, you might as well go for a JJverse show where that's the only thing they're able to do.

9. dan_bevan

Spellchecker? You are going to call me out on my spelling? Really?
    The more threatening the villains the higher the stakes the more tension and conflict is created. The bigger the challenge to the main characters the more their personalities are d explored and their skills shown.

These particular villains may only last a season or two. Fundamentally the show will be based on original Trek of seeking out of new civilizations and boldly going where no one has gone before. Basing the series in the 29th century would be an opportunity to introduce original new species.

10. lennier1

Considering you're not even able to spell "spell checker" correctly, even though there's an example right in your quote? Or based on how complicated words like "you" seem to cause you problems?

So, you're not able to work with the wealth of existing lore and you already know that your "enemy of the season" will fall soon apart, at which point you'll probably pull another one out of your ass?

Sorry to disappoint you, but the initial idea of Trek was not to offer a new space battle every week. That only really took off when DS9, VOY and the other newer installments decided to cater to the dregs of fandom.

11. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I hate to sound discouraging, but as is, the plot sounds a bit generic. I think you need to flesh out the plot outline more. The unnamed "popular" Captain and the "by the book" First Officer sound like Kirk and Spock 2.0. Also, the idea that Starfleet Intelligence would want a first officer to be secretly assigned to undermine his Captain "to ensure that every mission is a success" sounds illogical to me. If a branch of Starfleet doesn't have faith in the Captain, why give him the job in the first place?

The Federation is made of numeous alien races. Have all of those other alien races lost their curiosity to explore as well? As is, this plot outline sounds very human-centric.

Why would the Iconians wait till the last minute to warn the Federation? Why would the Iconians - a technologically advanced race - spend a millenia in hiding? Why does Species 8472... er... the aliens... feel the need to "purge" the galaxy? If they do it every millenia, why have they been unable to succeed in wiping all of us out?

I do think that DS9 did a good job with the Dominion war stories. Some of the space battles could have been handled better (a few times there was way too much "eye candy" on screen), but the stories were well written. Voyager and Enterprise tried to copy that style, and the results were pretty bad. I don't like space battles just for the sake of space battles in Star Trek.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  12. dan_bevan

You are very bitchy today im sorry I didnt realise it was your time of the month. I should have been more careful. Im introducing an interesting species that provides a genuine threat. The species would have a backstory that gives a reason to their motives. I will run with that story until it reaches its natural conclusion. My wealth of existing lore is fine thank you and i know plenty about species such as the Klingons and Romulans just dont see the point of rehashing something that has already been done a number of times. That being said I already plan on showing existing species that we all know and see what they are doing in the 29th century.

"Dregs of fandom" !?! Who is this guy? Clueless. You are just one of these bitter fans of TOS and is unable to accept any other incarnation of star trek.

13. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i would like to see some unlikely alliance

14. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Good luck with that recruiting drive, mate. :bolian:

15. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i'm interested in this, but for now i'd think this idea would work as a novel series, the ideas can flow a lot more, its how the new frontier was great, for now i'd prefer to see this as i fan novel series with some amazing stuff going on

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

After the comment about 'time of the month' aimed at a man, I was tempted to NOT bother to get back to you.

But I am the keeper of the index (self-appointed) and as such, I try to rise above my own issues.

So, Gatekeeper, the super European fan film, ... you can get a collection of links on it under (G), here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html . The blog 210 includes Star Trek Fan Filmmakers who have not yet released films.

For the moment, I am going allow my response to your comment to NOT yet give you a listing there.

I'll see if you follow through a bit. There are about 5 people who announce they are going to make a fan film for each one that starts, and about 3 or 4 that start for each that actually produces a film. As far as I can tell, you have neither a track record nor a tact record. You'll need both if you are going to pull this off.

I don't know where in the world you are. You might do yourself the favor of attending a shoot for an existing fan film group to see what's involved in this very demanding undertaking.

The map here will help you locate a group that is filming or has filmed a Star Trek Fan Film in your area. http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/4.html

Good luck with your film. There are never enough excellent ones. Much is forgiven when the product is excellent. Be excellent.

17. dan_bevan

To be honest, im not interested in recruiting obnoxious people anyway. Am open to constructive criticism but dont respond well to blatant rudeness. Lennier1 only seems to like TOS and complains about the other Treks but i bet has watched every single ep of TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. But no one was forcing him to watch them.

18. dan_bevan

Yeah ur probably right for now. Im gona work on a draft for the first episode and get it up on here for people to read and get some feedback. Still thinking up the other characters but looking for inspiration if anyone has any ideas im open to suggestion.

19. dan_bevan

Didnt mean to cause any offence to anyone. Was meant as a bit of sarcasm in response to abuse. I will check out them links and let you know what I think. Im in the United Kingdom by the way.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

IMO unless you are actually serious about producing this thing, I still don't think this belongs here. It's fan fiction otherwise.

Also, can you please use the multiquote feature instead of writing multiple sequential posts, which looks spammy?