Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Is there any information on when he may have passed? I can't find a date anywhere.

Rick

2. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Outside of this thread, I've found no indication that he's dead. How do we know he died?

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Perhaps that was an error on my part. I may have gotten my information confused.

[EDIT] Yes, it was an error. I was originally thinking of Mike Minor, who worked with Jennings on TWOK, but sadly passed in 1987.

My apologies.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's obviously having lunch with Gene Hackman. :)

(Happy birthday, Gene!)

5. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Joe Jennings was one of the first production designers I met during a job scouting trip to L.A. in 1977. He was a complete gentleman, and was totally straight with me about no work being available on the Star Trek TV show then in development (I also met briefly with Mike Minor and John Cartwright and some of the other art department folks during that visit). A few months later, Joe offered me an illustrator position when the TV project turned into TMP. He didn't really know me, a science fiction print artist from the East coast, but he took a chance on me, and I give a big salute to Joe in return. When he left TMP to work on Shogun, Harold Michelson took over. Another amazing man to work for, and a great teacher.

Rick

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^
    +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

7. Donny

Again, I'm terribly sorry I had my information incorrect.

And thanks for sharing that story, Rick.

8. FrankT

FrankT Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ah Donny, you are a marvel! :D Though it's doubtful I'll be able to walk through these interiors (at least not anytime soon), seeing them is eye-candy enough.

9. Donny

While I'm working on the Examination room, I made an observation.

The viewing screen wall contained in this room changes between TMP and TWOK, as seen below:

Here it is in TMP, as a expansive flat black viewing monitor. Note the border around the monitor is somewhat thin and there are greebles above the monitor's upper "lip"
    [​IMG]

Here it is in TWOK, the black replaced as a back-lit sheet of textured plastic or glass. Notice the border around the glass sheet is wider than it is in TMP and has curved corners, and the greebles above the "lip" have disappeared.

[​IMG]

After careful observation, I'm convinced that the wall, as it appears in TWOK, is in fact the large monitor wall from Kirk's quarters as seen in TMP (which happens to be replaced in TWOK by a smaller monitor wall in Kirk's quarters):

[​IMG]

The inner border surrounding the textured plastic sheet seems to be identical to the one in the TWOK examination room, and I'm guessing it's the same textured glass we see as well. I'm assuming they just removed the colored rectangles from behind the glass and then painted the surrounding wall white and, for reasons unknown, stuck it in the examination room in TWOK, replacing the viewing screen seen in TMP, but keeping the lip above the screen.

Anyone agree?

10. Tallguy

Looks reasonable to me. I'd even say it's the same piece of plastic. Only in TMP it was lit with colored gels or some such. In TWOK it's just lit white.

I always loved that display in Kirk's quarters.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Sure, seems reasonable. It would also stand to reason that that textured area might have served the same purpose in both sickbay and officers' quarters, turning into into a big-screen monitor as needed - for diagnostic purposes in sickbay, and when Chekov notified Kirk of Spock's "non-belligerent" shuttle in TMP, and the same screen Kirk used to watch the Genesis brief in TWOK.

You're definitely right about the border and missing top greebles, though. I think they just shoe-horned in the former and forgot about the latter after they finished the redress/move in TWOK. The mundane wall just goes up vertically there with an exposed open area behind the curved set dressing. It would appear that someone forgot something before they filmed that scene and, no doubt, nobody ever thought within their wildest dreams that we would be scrutinizing these little nuances over 30 years later on HD screens bigger than what they had on the Enterprise! :D

12. Donny

Here's what I have so far. Starting on the bio-bed next.
    [​IMG]

13. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looking great as usual, Donny! I look forward to when this is all integrated with a game engine so we can all wander around a virtual Enterprise! :techman:

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Looks likely that the screen got swapped.

Also, did you notice that there are two heights to the ceiling in this room? See this image (link).

15. Donny

Oh, yes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That lower ceiling is just over the area with the bio-bed though, probably to differentiate the space between "analysis alcove" and the passageway through to the ward/office.

17. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.

With all of your renders of Sickbay, Donny, I'm realizing that it's got the design legacy of The Andromeda Strain all over it. That sleek, monochromatic look had to have been something Bob Wise wanted for the set.

18. Tallguy

Hmmm. The edge of that overhang looks a lot sharper in the screenshot with Scotty.

But it's all gorgeous.

19. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

It's possible the alcove's soffit like nature might internally house a bunch of scanning equipment involved in the functioning of that bio-bed as well.

Awesome stuff Donny! I'm still amazed at how much they were able to squeeze into that relatively small room.

I love that you were able to deduce that the screen from TMP was not only distinguishable from the TWOK version, but could very likely be the one from Kirk's TMP quarters. Scouring screen shots of that portion of the examination room alone gave me headaches when I was modeling my version. I knew there had been obvious changes between films, but that was a sweet find.

It reminds me though, I remember posting a page on my blog a few years back, which pointed out the possibility of that gridded "Partridge Family" screen as seen in Kirk's TMP quarters, might have been either some sort of future holographic screen saver for use when the viewer was not active (this could also apply to a similar grid in the transporter room control booth), or it might have just been a large sliding decorative panel to help cover the viewscreen during for those functionally inactive periods.

https://starstation.wordpress.com/2009/08/09/a-23rd-century-screen-saver/

The shots with Uhura and Chekov, announcing the long-range shuttle, seem to suggest the sliding cover idea, since you can actually see what appears to be the base of the grid's frame stretched across the very top of the viewing alcove. You can even make out some type of "pocketed recess" where such a cover could slide within. However, these features are not readily apparent later on when Kirk and McCoy are observing Ilia-Probe and Decker touring the rec deck. Just some observations.

Keep up the virtual amazement! :D

20. Donny

My next step is to actually add a light panel and some "scanning equipment" greebles above the bio-bed, in similar fashion to TNG's sickbay sensor cluster housing.