What kind of Trekkie are you?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bbjeg, Jan 17, 2014.

?

What kind of Trekkie are you?

1. A) I'm a Star Trek Nerd - "I've read the manuals, the encyclopedia, their specifications, I know how

3.9%
  2. B) I'm a Star Trek Geek - "I've seen all the episodes (of that series), do you remember when..."

33.1%
  3. C) I'm a lovable Star Trek Dork - "I collect figures, outfits, trinkets, you name it, I got it."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A and B - "I'm deeply committed to the mythos, not much on the paraphernalia."

34.3%
  5. A and C - "I put more time in everything else (books, games, or collectables) than the show."

2.2%
  6. B and C - "I've seen all of that series and I'm a collector. I don't know the specifications."

10.1%
  7. A, B, and C - "I'm a hardcore Trekkie."

16.3%
  1. DataRules

DataRules Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I voted B.

I could say A too, but not enough to count.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Bumping this thread for the new members.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Geek. I do own a few Trek odds and ends (in addition to the TNG dvd's), but not enough to call a collection.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. That's me, as well.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Hobbies and letting things take over your life are two different things.

6. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I'm a hardcore trekkie

7. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

A- I am mostly into the hardware and designs. I love how in the later series have things worked out as to how they work. Discussions about how power is conditioned and relayed around the ship are fine, techobabble to save a plot thread is annoying.

I do not care which actor likes what, I prefer to ignore the actors and lose myself in a story. Famous guest stars take me out of the show and I start comparing performances in other shows- I really like TV/Movies with no known people performing.

I grew up with TOS and waited many years for first movie and new series, I am sad the Prime Universe is discarded and try to see the new movies as entertainment with no connections to what I have known- they just work better for me that way...

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

B. Just inordinately familiar with the movies & a few of the shows, and making attempts to finish viewing the entire franchise.

9. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

None of these option cover me. I have one series on DVD (ENT) and the TOS and TNG movies. I have fond memories of TOS and have managed to watch all of DS9. All of this might make you think I am not much of a Trekkie. But I do think about it a lot. I had to face up to my interest when I realised how much the treatment of Vulcans across the franchise bothered me. That's not something a civilian would worry about. Still I thought "I can't qualify as a fan because I am much too critical." It was only after discovering this forum that I realised how much criticism is a part of fandom!

Star Trek is part of the furniture of my mind.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^It sounds like B is your cup of tea.

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What kind of Trekkie am I? Well, I'll tell ya ...

I'm a Closet Trek Fan who finds The Next Generation to be my sole delight, my Heaven on Earth, my ... my very paradise! But when company's over, back in The Closet, it goes! As Deanna Troi so eloquently put it, " ... on this ship? Anything can happen." That pretty much sums up why I love this show so much.

12. Drone

Drone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not and I don't portray one on Trek BBS. OK, I guess technically I'm a B (for two series with the other three lagging way behind). Certain characters, plots, technologies interest me and there's a few that I find fascinating. I've read a few books, mostly TOS novelizations during the first run time period. But I don't own anything, including series or movies on video. Most likely I would only attend a convention if one was held particularly close to where I live or if a certain actor was appearing (the latter scenario almost happened but the person canceled.)

Basically, I guess that I don't quite feel the identification with what I think the term popularly embodies. But I would say that my interest in Trek does exceed the level of being simply a pleasant, comforting diversion.

13. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Just B. Too poor for C. I collect books, but that's to read stories -- not to acquire books.

Well, okay -- I did buy 3 boxes of TOS and TNG paperbacks off ebay just because I wanted a Star Trek bookcase.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

[​IMG]

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I own all the shows and movies on DVD.

I buy all the novels as they come out.

I own some of the reference books but not all. Things like the Star Trek Compedium, or the TNG Companion, etc, interest me. Things like the Star Charts, and other like books do not.

I own all the soundtracks.

I wait for the comics to come out in the collections (trade paperbacks), But only have a few.

I own some of the ornaments but stopped collecting them ten years ago.

I never pay attention to the toys or video games.

I've been to exactly one convention twenty years ago, and have no plans to ever attend another (but won't rule it out either).

What kid of Trekkie does all this make me?

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The kind Paramount loves.

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^That. :techman:

But you could go B and C or Hardcore RandyS. It sounds like you know enough references to bump you in the A category.

18. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Watched all the series (except TAS - hoping to Hulu that when I have five spare minutes to rub together) and all the movies; own a few collectibles; read a ton of the books going way back, and have sewn and knitted several Trek related clothing items, and usually include it as a hobby when asked about such things.

I tend to struggle with the science of Trek so don't think I can be called hardcore - I would only use the manuals for bookends.

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel the same way. The science part has always been a little over my head, which is why I tend to ignore books like Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, and the Star Charts one, and the science of Star Trek. The manuals I've always enjoyed were the companions with the episode guides in them. Of course, the problem there is that the DVD's come with inserts telling you what episode is where on the disks, effectively rendering those old companions moot.

20. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

More bookends, then? :borg: