Angel ep by ep; rewatch and reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by saturn5, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

What a great line!

Angel's feelings are very similar to Fred's. For Angel, Connor won't really be lost through a portal to a hell-dimension until Cody knows. For Fred, her time on the other side of the portal wasn't completely real until she came face-to-face with her parents.

Joss did many great things in the course of Angel, and he rarely drops the ball as far as characters are concerned (as one of saturn5's earlier reviews said: there are no minor characters in Joss' 'verse).

But Linwood is just crap.

Actually - with all due respect to Daniel Dae Kim and Lilah the evil bitch - without Lindsey McDonald and Holland Manners, W&H is a pretty lame place. No wonder the beast will have no problems trashing the place in a little while.

I love how it takes just so fucking long for Wes to work himself back from betraying Angel. More than a season, really. Even saving Angel from the bottom of the ocean isn't enough.

That's one area where B5 really sucked. Garibaldi is back with the gang in no time. We never see whether or not Lennier works his way back into Sheridan's graces (although probably not). But the point is, unlike the the long agonizing building up to Wes' betrayal (for a faked prophesy, no less!), we get very little (other than jealousy) as to Lennier.

2. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the whole point of Linwood is that he's Holland Manners without the class, he's a weasel. Equally when we see Gavin kowtowing to Lilah later it's no wonder the senior partners picked Lilah

DOUBLE OR NOTHING

The Good;
    The Groo and CC back which is marvellous. Lovely little scene with CC and Angel and also a lovely little scene of Pylean kinship between Lorne and the Groo over the 'ritual of the bereaved'. Wonderful final confrontation too, watched this ep first at a convention and people cheered when Angel delivers his line

The Bad;
    The angry young man Gunn stuff is not so good. The cockney demon debt collector is deeply stupid, Guy Ritchie has a lot to answer for. When he first sees Caritas Gunn comments he's never seen anything like it but we find here he has (unless he's never seen karoke before?). Angel could smell that Wes has had sex with a bleached blonde back in season 2 but is unaware that Gunn and Fred have been doing the funky monkey all this time?

Best line:
    Angel; "Am I the only one who owes this guy money?"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?
    CC staking the guy's hand to the table. Gunn being so mean when breaking up with Fred is also hard to watch as is the guy getting his soul removed by Jenoff. Jenoff's death is not half as yucky as his 'rebirth'.

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche; Angel loses the card game and actually cheats, breaking his word to the guy. We think Fred is going to be more sympathectic towards Wes but she rejects him.

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tatt; 10

Cheap Angel; 9

Fang Gang in bondage:
    Cordy: 5
    Angel: 11
    Wes: 6
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Cordy: 11
    Angel: 14
    Wes: 5
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3

Kills: Gunn kills a skench demon
    Cordy: 5 vamps, 3½ demons
    Angel; 39 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 7 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.
    Gunn; 10 vamps+ 11 demons.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:
    Cordy: 2
    Angel: 2
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Angel: 8

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed;
    8;

Total number of Angel Investigations:
    6, Angel, Cordy, Gunn, Fred, Lorne and Groo

Angel Investigations shot:
    Wes; 1

Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:
    Cordy: 4 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo
    Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies
    Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    The demon fancies Fred, again weird, shouldn't demons like other demons? Groo comments Gunn is fortunate to have a woman such as Fred to 'take care of his weapon'.

Captain Subtext;

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;
    Blonde Cordy! Angel seems unaware that Fred and Gunn were dating, I thought he overheard them in 'Waiting in the Wings' or at least smelled them on one another. No leprechauns in the Angelverse although considering how they appeared on Charmed maybe we should be grateful. Wes coming home to an empty flat is a real killer. Angel refers to the AI gang as family.
    Marks out of 10; 6/10, fun but nothing special

3. saturn5

THE PRICE
    The Good;
    Very much an 'in the bottle episode'. Do like Fred drinking the snowglobe.
    The Bad;
    I think the Schlucks (or however you spell it) are deeply stupid, this doesn't really work for me
    Best line:
    Cordy; "We have a pool?"
    The poor guy crumbling. Also Lilah's assertion that when a co-worker at WR&H pats you on the back you should check to feel for the knife.
    Angel Cliches
    Inverting the Hollywood cliche;
    In disguise; 8
    Cordy's tatt; 10
    Cheap Angel; 9
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Cordy: 11
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Kills:
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 1 vamp
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang: schluck possessed Fred
    Fred; 1

Characters killed: the poor guy who get's dusted
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: Wes makes his first moves towards returning back to the fold

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Depending on how much you're into the Alien mythology you could interpret the Schlucks possessing Fred and the guy as metaphorical rape. CC describes Groo as 'sexy, well-built, go-all-night'
    Captain Subtext;
    Groo starting to pick up on CC's feelings for Angel.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony
    Drawing from Alien, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers and The Thing a great deal. Our first appearance of grown up Connor for good or ill. Love Lilah's tarantula, once asked Stephanie Romanov at a convention did she have a problem with that scene but she said no, they're 'furry like a kitten'? Groo's mother was called Pomegranate? 'Puppy-dog' is how CC describes the Groo and how she described Jesse in the first ep of Buffy. Gunn once again demonstrates his loathing of creepy-crawlies. 'Thaunmogenisis' is also the term used for the demon created when Buffy was ressurected. Love Lorne's hat. Note when Fred drinks from from the snowglobe she cuts her lip a little. Powerful scene between Gunn and Wes. First real signs of CC's greater power. Lorne uses the traditional Buffyverse line "Standing right here".
    Marks out of 10; 5/10 not one of my favourites

4. saturn5

A NEW WORLD

The Good;
    Anthony Starke who plays Tyke also played Ezra in the TV version of the Magnificent Seven, my favourite character, very Doc Holliday (he's also Sanchez's assistant Truman Lodge in the Bond film Licence to Kill). Love the way you can see Gunn and Groo just automatically reacting to Connors attack without a moments hesitation. Love Myrna too.

The Bad;
    Connor jumping on the bus looks very fake. The shootout with the police looks like it belongs in the Matrix films as indeed does the initial confrontation at the Hyperion. Also, where is the body of the beastie that proceeded Connor through the rift? Holtz's makeup also isn't too good. CC's blood seems almost translucent which it wouldn't be unless that's a side effect of her half demon side. You can see Angel's shoulder reflected in the door when he tries to follow Conor outside

Best line:
    Tyke; (pointing to where his ear used to be) "You'll have to speak up because I DON'T HEAR SO GOOD!"
    just beating;
    Fred; "Poor Connor he must be so scared"
    Gunn; "Yeah he looked real scared when he was KICKING MY ASS!" (once again Gunn is AI's straight man)

Sunny dead in the bathtub with the needle in her arm. Such realistic depictions of death and suffering always more disturbing than demons and vampires. Connor cutting Tyke's ear off! (an effect they loved so much the re-used it in the Firefly ep 'War Stories')

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

Cordy's tatt; 10

Cheap Angel; 9

Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Cordy and Groo
    Cordy: 12
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Groo; 1

Kills: none but Connor must be quite the boy to fight off Angel, Gunn and Groo!?
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 1 vamp

Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 1

Characters killed: Sunny ODs.

8;

Angel Investigations shot: Angel by the police in the motel shootout
    Angel: 12
    Wes; 1

Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Tyke appears to be attempting to force Sunny to have sex with him in return for drugs. Connor is fascinated by a bra he finds at the squat. The Groo once spent 11 days standing stock still to avoid being mated with by a herd of Burrbeasts. He implies that he was a virgin before him and Cordy. Connor strips before Sunny and they kiss.

Captain Subtext;
    Sunny warns him not to play 'teddy bear in the hole' with another of the residents.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

When does Connor reload his arm cannon, it has 3 tubes but he fires four shots? Note Wes keeps a couple of swords in the umbrella stand by his door. It's an interesting comparison between Groo and Riley, both love their sweethearts but realise they're not the ones for them so leave. However whilst Riley was pretty much agony to watch the Groo does it much more subtly and with dignity (maybe the writers learned their lesson?). The LAPD at the crime scene seem remarkably forthcoming to Gunn, maybe they're friends of Kate's? Connor intends to find Tyke from his scent, has he inherited his parents vamp senses? Angel says that Stephen isn't an Irish name, true but in Southern Ireland Boxing Day is also known as St Stephen's Day.
    Marks out of 10; 7/10, pretty good

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

You didn't like that? I thought the slow mo fight at the Hyperion was pretty nifty. My fave fight scene in all of Angel though is the rooftop fight with the Beast in s4's 'Apocalypse, Nowish'. Now that was awesome.

6. saturn5

Oh I agree but it just seemed gratuitous

7. saturn5

BENEDICTION

The Good;
    The return of Justine but this ep will always be remembered for the incredible scenes between Angel and Holtz. They strike you as a pair of weary emotional boxers slugging it out to the last (Khan and Kirk?). I especially like the moment where Angel rages at Holtz for stealing his son and Holtz points out that he kept Angel's son alive whilst Angel(us) killed his.

The Bad;
    Angel just leaves a set of vamps lying on the floor of the club.

Best line:
    Justine; "How did you survive?"
    Holtz; "My hatred kept us alive" HOOOOoooooooooo!
    also like;
    Fred; "He's survived an unspeakable hell dimension. Who hasn't? It doesn't mean you can leave him on the streets of LA"

Holtz forcing Justine to stab him with the icepick

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

Cordy's tatt; 10

Cheap Angel; 9

Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Groo; 1

Kills: 2 vamps for Angel. 2 for Connor as well and we can add in the demon he killed in The Price
    Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 7 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 1 vamp
    Connor; 2 vamps and one demon

Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:

8;

Wes; 1

Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    According to Fred's gizmo Connor is 'Hot'. Gunn dislikes the idea of tracking Angel's teenage son's 'emissions'.

Captain Subtext;
    Groo and Lorne, their scene together very reminiscent of a scene in season 5 Buffy with Xander and Riley at the magic shop. But the Groo does it SOOOOO much better than Riley does "If she asks" Awwwwww!

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

One thing I've noticed in working my way through Buffy season 6 and Angel season 3 is that I keep leaping ahead wanting to watch more and more Angel and not Buffy. Note that the PTB's decide to save Justine through CC's vision. Holtz is quite religious believing god gave him Connor. You genuinely get the impression that they do love each other. Interestingly Fred refers to 'being at the bottom of the ocean looking upwards'. Does Holtz go to hell? Is he an evil man? The only evil thing I can think off he does is slitting Wes' throat but that's Justine and we've no idea that he even knew about it.
    Marks out of 10; 8/10, an ep of great emotional depth and poignancy

8. saturn5

TOMORROW

The Good;
    The ending is amazing, simultaneously heartrending and (literally) uplifting. Also love the touching Groo leaving scene and Fred's vamp impression.

The Bad;
    The drive in film is Courage Under Fire which was brought out to little acclaim in 1996 so I'm not sure why it should be being shown again? How does CC drink the mockna and not stain her magnificent teeth?

Best line:
    Lilah; "Mind if I join you?"
    Wes; "On many levels and with great intensity"

Connor cuts the head off Holtz's corpse. Wes tells Lilah post sex 'I wasn't even thinking of you when you were here', god, talk about the most heartless post-sex line EVER! And just for a second the mask slips and you can see the hurt in Lilah's eyes.

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

Cordy's tatt; 10

Cheap Angel; 10 Angel thinks 50 cents is enough for a teenagers allowance. Even CC observes that he's 'tight with a buck'.

Fang Gang in bondage: Angel chained and in a box
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: Angel is tasered into unconsciousness
    Angel: 15
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Groo; 1

Kills:
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 1 vamp
    Connor; 2 vamps and 1 demon

Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:

8;

Total number of Angel Investigations: Byebye Groo who unfortunately we'll never see again on the show although he shall return in the comics. I heard one rumour that in season 5 Harmony would have a 'Naked Musclely Hunks' calender and Fred would look at it and recognise one of the models as the Groo. Byebye Angel who's taking a dip at the bottom of the ocean, byebye CC who's taking a break as a celestial being and byebye Lorne who's off to Vegas. This officially leaves AI as Gunn, Fred and Connor, back to the same number as in the first episode of the show.
    3, Gunn, Fred, Connor

Angel Investigations shot: no but Angel tasered again, it seems to be a highly effective weapon against vamps.
    Wes; 1

Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Lilah and Wes
    Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Lilah and Wes, once again Wes is violent as hell with Lilah yet this seems to turn her on and she ends up having sex with him. She seems intirgued to know what it's like to have your throat cut (one day she'll find out) Groo offers to rub CC's shlugtee which is actually Pylean for neck but that's not what she thinks he means. CC and Angel 'try out bedrooms' in the Hyperion. CC refuse to tell Connor the facts of life as Angel requests but one day she will graphically 'fill in the blanks for him'. Connor comments on CC's beauty.

Captain Subtext;
    Lilah thinks Fred is cute.

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

What the fanficcers thought; whatever happens to the Scoobs/AI the Groo always shows up to save everyone

How does Lorne get on a commercial flight even with his fedora disguise? Connor refers to Holtz's home as having white cliffs which implies he's from Dover. Sorry to say goodbye to the Groo, your heart breaks for him but he does the honourable thing with dignity like the hero he is. CC looks at a season 1 pic of her, Wes and Angel demonstrating just how much things have changed (not least her hair). The scene where CC talks to an image of herself is very reminiscent of the scene in Xena where Aphrodite chats to her own reflection in the mirror. Connor refers to Angel as the Prince of Lies who Angel will encounter in 'Why we fight' (also underwater). Note when CC and Angel are finally getting together she's dyed her hair blonde, just like Darla and Buffy.
    Well, Joss and co not exactly scared to shake things up and leave us with a hell of a cliffhanger! Hugely powerful ep, so many aspects to praise.
    Marks out of 10; 9/10

9. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The demon rises up to heaven while the Angel sinks into hell. Quite poetic.

Also, CC's vision of herself is actually a flash forward to her conversation with Skip, in case that wasn't clear.

10. saturn5

That's a wonderful way of putting it, I never thought of it like that.:)

DEEP DOWN

The Good;
    Wonderful to see Fred and Gunn as Connor's surrogate parents during the summer, would love to see that in the comics sometime. Love Fred's attempts to speak 'street' especially Gunn's little look when she says 'Word'.
    The Bad;
    The vamp Fred and Gunn confront gives them the info they want then tries to attack them anyway, please!
    Best line:
    Gunn; "2 coats of polish"
    Fred is pretty vicious with the old taser! Also Linwood get's 'headhunted' WR&H style
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cordy's tatt; 10
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage: Connor tied to the chair
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2
    Connor; 1

Fang gang knocked out: Connor and Fred
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Groo; 1
    Fred; 1
    Connor; 1
    Kills: 2 vamps for Fred, 1 for Gunn and 2 for Connor
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 11 demons.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamps
    Connor; 4 vamps and 1 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations:3
    Gunn, Angel and Fred

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah plus possibly Justine?
    Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Lilah appears to wear no bra. Wes keeps Justine as a slave girl, do they have sex? Lorne says give fluffy enough love, Fred wonders does he mean Gunn or some part of her?
    Captain Subtext;
    Fred flatters Gunn that he's the Alpha male of AI. Despite being his slave Wes won't make Justine feed Angel from herself, he knows that would cross the line after losing her sister. When Angel get's back Gunn tells Connor to stand by for his spanking. Connor warns the gang that Angel will turn on them which he will.
    Goodbye to Justine who will change her identity, move to San Francisco and embrace her inner lesbian.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    What the fanficcers thought;
    Read a pretty good one once where Justine discovers she's pregnant with Wes' twins and goes off to rebuild her life, changing her identity, moving to San Francisco and becoming a lesbian. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3071303/1/Whatever_happened_to_Justine
    Hell of a long teaser, if you hadn't been following the series you'd be utterly lost. Note that whilst Wes is back at the AI dinner table there's no Groo? AI are almost broke, either Angel must subsidise the agency with his private income or they must spend all their time looking for Angel and CC. Vamps can exist indefinitely without blood but they go mad with hunger. Lilah mentions Mr Subarto, did she actually meet a senior partner? Do Buffy and co know about Angel's disappearance? Oddly this summer is probably the best time Connor ever has, he has 2 loving parents and a fairly normal life (as normal as it can be working for AI)
    Marks out of 10; 7/10

11. DS9Continuing

Yeah, I get the feeling this is one of those things they didn't quite think through as well as they could have.

Let's just retcon it to say that Mr Suvarta is one of the Circle of the Black Thorn, the earthly proxy to the Senior Partners.

12. saturn5

GROUND STATE

The Good;
    Wonderfully clever opening, you think Gwen's parents and headmistress are uncaring but actually they love her, they can just never touch her no matter how much they want to. Also love Angel's drawing and Fred's show, especially her little ghost.
    The Bad;
    Gwen is fab, the rest of it is pretty stupid truth be told
    Best line:
    Gunn; (about their chances) "Operation chance in hell!"
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cordy's tatt; 10
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Groo; 1
    Connor; 1
    Fred; 1
    Kills: 1 demon for Wes
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 13 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp
    Connor; 4 vamps and 1 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:
    Recurring characters killed; Gunn dies for a few seconds but then comes back.
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations:3
    Angel, Gunn, Fred

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 2
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Gwen RRRRRRRRRR! Love a bad girl in leather/PVC. And you can see her nipples through her outfit when she enters the bar. Justine described Lilah as 'incredibly loud' during sex and there's some belt snapping action between her and Wes. Lilah describes herself as Mrs Robinson and indeed Connor will develop a thing for older women. Gunn likes it when Fred is in charge. Gwen describes Angel as handsome and Gunn as 'Denzel' which certainly must have pleased him. Gwen describes Angel as a great kisser (the Furies were right) and sits astride him.
    Captain Subtext;
    Fred's plans include going to prison and becoming somebody's bitch. She hopes her cellmate will be gentle (see also What the fanficcers thought). Gwen seems very close to her cute blonde Marlene Detreich-like female butler. Gwen calls Fred honey.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Angel beats the building plans from a snitch
    Read an interesting one where Fred does indeed go to prison and becomes someone's bitch. Lucky for her that someone is Faith. Also the last appearance (or not) of Phantom Dennis. Read a lovely fic once where CC in 'You're welcome' goes to visit Dennis and tell's him that she loves him and it's time to pass over to the other side which indeed he does, his love for her all that was keeping him on Earth. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3044478/1/Whatever_happened_to_Phantom_Dennis
    Wes has his own organisation with 3 employees, maybe that's why Gunn and Fred are broke, he's taking their business. The Chandler auction house is of course a homage to LA author Raymond Chandler. Angel's 2 previous break-ins were in The Shroud of Rhamon and Choices in Buffy. Neither is very successful. The squatter camp Connor goes to is the old power station you see in countless movies and TV.
    So why does no one wonder about Groo? Possibly because he let Lorne, Fred, Gunn know of his plans or maybe he's been in touch with them since?
    Marks out of 10; 7/10 but only due to Gwen really

13. saturn5

THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS

The Good;
    Lorne's performance is wonderful and love Fred's excited squeal. The Vegas stuff is all great
    The Bad;
    The actual story is not that good.
    Best line:
    Angel; "Boy, Vegas was a lot friendlier when the mob ran it!"
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cordy's tatt; 10
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 3
    Fred; 2
    Connor; 1

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 3
    Groo; 1
    Fred; 1
    Connor; 1
    Kills: 1 vamp for Connor and another human for Angel
    Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 8 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Wes; 13 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp
    Connor; 6 vamps and 1 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang: Destinyless Angel
    Angel: 9
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: 4
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne

Wes; 1
    Packing heat; Angel uses the guard's gun to kill the casino owners' assistant
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Fred in her Lornette costume is a revelation. Hands up who else was thinking what a shame we don't get to see CC in the same? (and Charisma is a Vegas girl after all). Lilah and Wes have some pretty explicit phone sex.
    Captain Subtext;
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Once read an interesting one where Angel introduces Elvis to the delights of wearing black leather whilst Elvis teachers him karate.
    Angel in pinstripes, interesting look for him. Good enough, especially the musical numbers, glad to have the gang back together and Gunn get's to achieve his ambition, as indeed does Lorne. But you want them to get back to LA and crack on with the season. Wes seems quite happy to take AI's business when they're out of town suggesting he was partly responsible for their lack of clients during the summer. Also Fred seems to win pretty good at the blackjack table which might explain why AI's money problems seem to be over. Weird to hear Andy Hallet's commentary when you know he's no longer with us.
    Marks out of 10; 6/10

14. DS9Continuing

More subtle foreshadowing:

The big crisis comes when Angel has to get into the back room to win back his destiny. Cordelia uses her super powers from the higher plane to affect the roll of the dice, thus defining the destiny of the characters from that point on in the story of the episode. Which foreshadows how "Cordelia" will be manipulating the destinies of everyone else the whole rest of the season.

15. saturn5

SLOUCHING TOWARDS BETHLEHEM

The Good;
    Like Connor's vamp hunting and some of the humour with amnesiac CC especially Gunn refusing to be a sidekick (having been the Alpha-dog all summer). For me the Wes/Lilah stuff saves this ep for me.
    The Bad;
    Much I'm afraid, especially the stupid looking client Gunn had in the hotel 5 minutes after he is unexpectedly back from Vegas. Also the vamp Connor sets on fire seems to burn very quickly compared to Dru and Darla who were soaked with a lot more petrol.
    Best line:
    Amnesiac Cordy; "I was popular. Well no suprise there"
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cordy's tatt; twice, once when Angel pulls her off Lorne and once during the fight with WR&H's goons.
    Cheap Angel;
    Fang Gang in bondage: Lorne seems to spend most of this season knocked out and tied up to something
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: poor old Lorne really seems to be getting it lately
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills: 2 vamps and a demon for Connor. At least one demon each for Gunn and Fred
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon
    Connor; 8 vamps and 2 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang: amnesiac CC
    Cordy: 3
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Total number of Angel Investigations: not going to count Cordy just yet so 4
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Wes and Lilah at it again (doesn't she think to shower after sex?). I actually think the whole dollar thing is utterly charming. And of course Lilah's right, she played Wes but he betrayed her. Also in a sign of things to come Connor grabs one of CC's breasts in bed.
    Captain Subtext;
    Lorne has been borrowing CC's lingerie for a 'friend'?
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    CC appears to think that she is actually a character in Alias which was Buffy's great rival at the time (but never came close despite Jennifer Garner's obvious loveliness and Amy Acker/Roger Moore guest starring). Gunn's fear of rats occurs again, Wes once again starts to take steps back into AI, it's actually Gunn who's more hostile to him than Angel (Wes can't help needling them about getting CC back only to immediately lose her again). Connor seems to be living quite well on the street but I guess if he survived Kortath (or however you spell it?) he can survive LA. And probably steals the vamp's stuff after killing them. He is lonely however and misses being part of AI. CC sings The Greatest Love of All which she also sang in Buffy's The Puppet Show. I freeze framed my DVD but unfortunately there's no one I recognise from SDH in CC's yearbook.
    Marks out of 10; 5/10 very static, stupid demon, Lilah and Wes and CC's performance largely saves this one for me.

16. DS9Continuing

Apparently it's spelled Quor'Toth.

17. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

I can't decide if that sounds Klingon or Narn? (Na'Toth v. Sto-vo-Quor).

18. saturn5

REAL geeks speak Wookie! (It's all in the intonation)

SUPERSYMMETRY

The Good;
    Angel versus the demon and all the Wes and Lilah stuff
    The Bad;
    Surely the Prof can think of a less public way to get rid of Fred? All told this is a pretty damn stupid ep
    Best line:
    Angel (to demon who keep's fighting despite having been decapitated) "Come on, I'm holding your head"
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 5
    Fang Gang in bondage:
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 4
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out:
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 1
    Lorne; 4
    Groo; 1
    Kills: 1 vamp for CC, 1 demon for Angel and one human for Gunn
    Cordy: 6 vamps, 3½ demons
    Angel; 41 vamps, 58 and 1/2 demons, 8 humans
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons+ one human.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon
    Connor; 8 vamps and 2 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang:
    Cordy: 3
    Fred; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Connor remarks that CC steals the bedcovers much to Angel's distress. Gunn mentions that Fred kept him up all night and was unstoppable.
    Captain Subtext;
    Lorne calls Angel 'sweetie' when he brings him breakfast in bed. Whilst Connor refuses to bring Cordy any pics of Angel he's fine with everyone else, even Lorne.
    Parking garages; yep, if I were Lilah I'd just take a taxi every night
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Really not good, silly plot and although there's some powerful emotional stuff really far below par. First time we ever see CC's parents. Now when we see Angel recreate the conference room scene at the Hyperion is that just a photographic memory or a spell he casts? Love the satire on the Angel fans, Angel referring to the 'chatty rooms'. Love Fred's Ripley moment, "I'm the bitch!".
    Marks out of 10; 6/10 and maybe that's generous

19. DS9Continuing

I don't like that this episode basically rewrites a vital portion of Fred's backstory, but only for the span of this episode, and then it's back to the original version again for the rest of the show.

We always thought Fred was sucked into a portal accidentally when she read a book in the library, and that it was same portal that accidentally sucked Lorne through to our side. Now they tell us that this guy deliberately sent her to Pylea (how? by forcing her to read the book?). Then in "Inside Out," Skip says that Fred reading the wrong book was a specific part of Jasmine's plan. So which was it?

20. saturn5

Maybe the Prof was one of Jasmines minions?

SPIN THE BOTTLE

The Good;
    All of it, easily one of the best episodes of season 4, obviously with a debt to Buffy's Tabula Rusa but with a delicious spin of it's own. Unlike 'The Shroud of Rahmon' the framing device of Lorne with an invisible audience is terrific, he even breaks the 4th wall. If there is a favourite moment I think it would be CC declaring Fred as 'all neck' and Fred giving the 'mother of all shrugs' (give Saddam his due he gave the English language a new phrase).
    The Bad;
    Only thing I can find wrong is that the commentary is not as good as you'd hoped despite having Joss and Alexis. Again though wouldn't Liam notice his lack of heartbeat etc?
    Best line:
    Gunn; "What happened to you man?"
    Wes; "I had my throat cut and my friends abandoned me"
    Angel Cliches
    In disguise; 8
    Cheap Angel; 5
    Fang Gang in bondage: poor Lorne gets taped
    Gunn; 4
    Lorne; 5
    Fred; 2

Fang gang knocked out: poor Lorne againx2 plus Gunn
    Doyle; 1
    Gunn; 2
    Lorne; 6
    Groo; 1
    Kills: Gunn says he's been killing vamps since he was 12 . He threatens to cut Lorne's head off although we actually know that wouldn't kill him. Another vamp for Connor who is starting to catch his old man up.
    Cordy: 6 vamps, 3½ demons
    Doyle; 1 vamp
    Kate; 3 vamps
    Gunn; 11 vamps+ 12 demons.
    Groo; 1 demon
    Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon
    Connor; 9 vamps and 2 demon
    Fang Gang go evil:
    Gunn; 1
    Wes; 1

Alternate Fang Gang: teenage everyone
    Cordy: 4
    Angel: 10
    Fred; 2
    Wes; 1
    Gunn; 1

Characters killed:
    8;
    Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne

Wes; 1
    Packing heat;
    Wes; 6
    Doyle; 1
    Angel; 3
    Gunn; 1

Gunn; 1 Fred
    Fred; 1 Gunn
    Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:
    Wes' projecting stake and Fred's fear of aliens probing her helpless naked body. Liam is all for the sinful desires. Connor get's felt up by a hooker and CC promises to sleep with him if he kills Angel. CC is delighted with her bountiful adult breasts, Fred disappointed she seems not to have much 'up front' as Harmony will later put it. CC says 'Hello salty goodness' when she sees Liam which is exactly what she said about Angel when they first meet. CC in her towel. She thinks that danger makes her hot, she said the same about Xander and her in 'Dopplegangland'. CC thinks Angel is deviant because he didn't try anything with her.
    Captain Subtext;
    CC thinks Gunn and Wes wrestling is homo-erotic. CC wonders how Wes got the title 'head boy'? Note CC treats Fred EXACTLY as she treated season 1 Willow.
    Parking garages;
    Guantanamo Bay;
    Liam is alarmingly racist (as indeed is Keith Topping in his book) both against Wesley as an Englishman and Gunn as a slave. Ironically he later comments that people are ganging up upon him because he's different and he accuses THEM of being hypocrites. CC comments that she know's who's president and wishes she didn't. Weird, I'd have always thought of her as a right wing girl. Gunn suggests that if something looks wrong it should die which is a lot different as to how he thought in 'That Old Gang of Mine'.
    Fred is a cannabis smoker. Maybe it doesn't make you dumb after all? Liam thinks the cars outside are demons which is exactly what C17th noblewoman Buffy thought in Halloween. Interestingly Wes refers to the Watcher's academy being in Hampshire which means it may have survived Caleb's attack on the London base and helps Buffy&co in season 8. Interestingly Angel doesn't trust magic, much like Connor. Wes is very Bond as has been commented on before. Gunn's fears that he's just the 'muscle' (the BA Barracus?) of AI once more come to the fore. Interesting to see him as an angry young man just as we saw in 'Double or nothing'. Some funny mocking of Angel's very poor Irish accent. Gunn votes that they don't put Wes in charge, a ref back to 'There's no place like plze grb'. Note that when Gunn goes for a weapon he instinctively selects his hubcap axe even though he's amnesiac. Note also Fred fondles the palms, Illyria later able to mind meld with them.
    Lorne smokes again. Even though he's his teenage goof self Wes is still heroic, pitting himself unhesitatingly against a vamp to save Fred and CC and quite a good leader. Lorne tells Fred 'look into your heart' which is the famous line from 'Miller's Crossing', the greatest gangster film ever. Our first glimpse of The Beast.
    Marks out of 10; 10/10 stunning