The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gojira, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. There's a lot of name-dropping, but very little humour seems to come from a knowledge of the culture they're co-opting. My girlfriend was watching an episode a while back, where there was a joke about two characters arguing whether they should watch Deep Space 9 or Babylon 5. Eventually, they decided on Blake's 7 as a compromise, because it's between the two, obviously. But when I heard it, I couldn't help but feel that whoever wrote that joke had no idea what any of those shows are about, and just went "Ha! All these shows have names that end in numbers and are nerdy! This is gold!"

Then, of course, I compare to something like this (context: they've upset a friend badly, and she's run off):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqIZsvWDu_Y&feature=related[/yt]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It rings true to this geek. My sister and her husband recommended I watch because the characters reminded them of me and my friends. Wasnt sure what to make of that (Since my sister now lives halfway across the country her memories of me and my friends are mostly from when we were in high school and college) but I decided to watch anyway. And dammmit, they were right. Yes there is some comedic exaggeration but I do recognize pieces of myself in Leonard, Raj, Howard and god help me Sheldon. My oldest friend who has a closet full of Star Trek uniforms and onced owned a comic shop doesnt like it though. Too close to home I guess. ;)

I dont think getting the references "right" is as important as getting the attitudes right.

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recall an argument between the characters about whether "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" had better visual effects than "The Motion Picture" that just made me :wtf:

4. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Motion Picture obviously has the better effects.

5. Nerys Myk

Given the debates I've read and taken part in on the board, it doesn't strike me as improbable. ;)

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except in the actual episode, it was total nonsense. The whole scene felt like it was written by someone who had seen neither movie, and based the entire argument on the belief that the newer movie must have better effects simply because it's newer.

The argument would have no change in substance if the titles of the movie had been swapped out with any other two movies.

7. Nerys Myk

Same can be said for most arguments here. The names change but the arguments remain the same.

Somewhere on this board there is a member or even two, who might agree that STV's FX were better, Hell they might even think that STV is the better movie!!!!!

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

And exactly which planet would those people be logging on from?

9. Nerys Myk

Earth. We have a wide and diverse culture here. And for some reason different tastes. Weird, I know.

10. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

Excellent endgame by Sheldon, based upon a similar tactic by Capt. Kirk in a certain 3rd season episode ("Let That Be Your Last Battlefield")

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Spoilers for recent episode (28th April) we really need episode threads or a season thread for September 2011...

Excellent episode and I was starting to like Priya until she said to Lenoard they were finish if her parents found out about her...Shes a real ass. I love the Amy character more n more each week and am glad shes not been turned into a total carbon copy of Sheldon. Just like Beer can help Raj, its fun to see the more human side of Amy come out when she drinks and she clearly has a crush on Sheldon...love his reaction to the kiss ;)

12. Nerys Myk

Why did I find hungover messy haired Amy more attractive than regular Amy?

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I had that same thought when I saw her, shes clearly a attractive women in her own right.

14. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I don't like this show as much as I have in the past...I used to get excited for it every week and now I just catch it once in awhile, but this was a nice little episode. I liked Sheldon's Spock-like reaction to the kiss.

At first I thought there was a continuity error to him saying he's never kissed a girl since Leonard's mom kissed him while drunk, but maybe he thinks it didn't count because he didn't 'kiss her back'. He didn't do it with this kiss either, though. I wonder if someone will ever kiss him sober?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  15. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I want that countdown-thing.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I laughed VERY loudly at the LCARS Okudagram on Sheldon's laptop. :)

Surely it was only a continuity minute. The show's not that long.
    ;)

17. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I made that post very late and very tired, too tired to catch the blunder and apply my usual excessive editing. Thanks for immortalizing my typo by quote so I can't pretend it never existed. :)

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I thought the same thing!! She was cuter...somehow!

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's what we're here for.
    ;)

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

If you want to get picky, it was a 24th century LCARS display on the screen, but Kirk's destruct codes :vulcan: