Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The new mission with Tuvok is very cool:bolian:
    The servers crashed right after text "To Be Continued" and fade..good timing.

2. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

It crashed just when I beamed down to Starfleet Academy to do the daily, didn't try the mission yet.

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Another Season update, another crashed server.

Shocked, I tell you! :eek:

:guffaw:

When it eventually comes back, will check out the mission and start the super fun grind to check out the ship/set pieces...

4. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Two server outages, I got kicked both times lol

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I got crashed out on once, just while flying through space, not even in a mission yet! And that was 2 hours after it came back on and they said everything was fine.

Cryptic really knows how to ace a launch day! Can't remember the last one that wasn't a complete clusterfuck of crashed servers.

Even given if we accept there's nothing they can do about the hardware, and there's going to be a high tide rush of people, why not do the obvious? They HAVE a queue system for when it's overloaded, why the eff don't they use it on launch days?!? Sucks to wait in line, but isn't it better to wait in line and then play the new content rather than log in, play a minute, crash, server down an hour, back up, log in, play, crash, excuses, 2 hours down, now MAYBE it'll only be laggy for a day or so after we take it back down for emergency maintenance? Just turn on the fucking queue if the problem is too many people logging in. Unless that's just the convenient/accepted excuse, and the real problem is more with buggy untested crap that just takes a few days to work the kinks out of, and not related to user numbers.

You'd think after their fourth or fifth complete failure of a launch that they'd be up for trying to do something to avoid it... :lol:

6. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I thought the new mission was fun. A little story progression and a cliffhanger.

And quick-equip is great.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

It really wasn't bad.

Honestly, i wish they'd not focus so much on trying to make kewl artwork and new setups, and just have someone spitting out these kinds of missions on a regular basis. Monthly, or even every two months, doesn't seem like too much, especially if they don't go nuts with new artwork or voice overs.

Can still do big season updates and whatnot, but even a slow trickle of regular story content would be a huge hit, and keep the story moving along....

8. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Haven't had a chance to play recently. Going to do the new Tuvok mission now. So excited because as most people know I am a Voyager lover! :D

9. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

just downloaded the game for the first time last night and had a really good time! I finally treated myself to a top of the line laptop so Star Trek MMO was one of my first downloads!

One thing I was wondering, is your initial senior bridge crew random or the same default for everyone? Right now I have 2 female humans and a female Bolian.

Anyway, if you see Slvon Th'Chaplin of the USS Newport say hi! :)

--Chris

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Used to be random, the latest season update made them your former academy buddies, though I think one of them is a vulcan?

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Welcome to STO :) This is probably one of the best times to enter the game since they just launched the new "season" 8.5 which includes a lot of changes to the low level federation player missions. So it should be easier and more fun to play.

Oh, and feel free to ask us if you face any issues. We're always happy to help out.

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

What exactly have they changed with the low level episodes? I replayed "stranded in space" and didn't notice any changes.

13. Timelord Victorious

That's because Stranded in Space (and the mission with the Vulcan Ambassador as well as Doomsday) was already remastered ages ago. But after the Tutorial revamp during the main seasonal update they now remastered most of the Klingon Front levels afaik. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, though.

I hope, they will eventually get around to do the same to the Romulan and Cardassian Arcs.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Slyvon, let us know your Character@handle name, and we can add you to the Fleet. That way you'll know when people are online, and especially for playing through the first time, sure people are glad to team up and help you through some missions. Some are more fun/easier as a team.

15. Timelord Victorious

I played up until the Gorn episode with the missing scientists.
    There were maybe 2 or 3 very minor cutscenes, some minor changes to the environment.
    Most noticable the surface of Kassae IV and streamlining of mission flow.
    Less trash mobs in unnecessary places.
    So far there was no additional VO work by Lt. Flores fro example.

16. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I think "streamlining" is the perfect word to describe what they did with the early Fed missions. I'm leveling up a new Fed engineer and have noticed it going a lot smoother than when I leveled my first character.

17. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

Feel free to add me, akaria@robatorai, if you want a leg up on energy credits or gear. :)

18. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm thinking of starting a Fed Sciencer. What's Science about? Healing, mainly? Shield tanking/draining/rifts?

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yeah, kinda. The 'magic/caster' class with debuffs and whatnot. Honestly, not sure I'd bother. STO has completely ignored them as a class, and none of the team stuff really rewards or has any place for the SCI abilities. Really, you either need to go heavy on DPS and TAC, or go ENG for the tank/healing powers. SCI is that middle ground that's not really good at either, and the thing it does bring isn't super helpful IMO...

20. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I liked the Tim Russ mission. Enjoyed beating it with Tuvok and the EV suit part was cool. Trying to play the Q game but you can only really do it once a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.