What if Ezri Dax was a male?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Faria, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

What do you thing worf and Bashir do with him?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Drink?

Ask for bawdy Curzon stories?

3. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

^Exactly!!

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

he could hang out with female quark

5. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Gender never seems to be much of an issue with the Trills-
    I would love to see the expression on Work's face though...

6. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It wouldn't be Ezri Dax, but a totally different Dax. I would imagine for Worf and Bashir, he would be definitive proof that Jadzia was truly gone and perhaps even easier to accept, IMO.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Having Dax continue to be female was too easy.

If the new Dax had been a young man who continued to have romantic feelings towards Worf would have made for a whole new interesting story line on the show. The character of Erza was good, but TPTB were taking no chances with her gender.

Bashir already had his bromance with O'Brien, and a dominance game thing with leather clad Sloan, so the male Dax would have been right up his alley.

:)

8. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

It would not have been cute.

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This + you avatar had me explode in laughter! :guffaw:

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Good one!

--Sran

11. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

At first, I almost wished the next Dax had been a dude. Since it was Ezri, i think I disliked her just because I kept thinking she compared unfavorably as a replacement for Jadzia. And sure, she's supposed to be the next Dax, not just a replacement, but as a viewer, I think the transition would've been easier for me.

As for the actual characters, I think Worf would've had an easier time. Since Worf likes women, he'd be less weird and more accepting that it was a different person. On the other hand, looking back at the Jadzia lesbian kiss part, I wonder if a male Dax would have been attracted to Worf, and how awkward that would have been. ^_^

And I still don't understand why the Trills are so terrified of expressing feelings toward their old host's partners, when Ezri didn't even seem to care. Not talking about that one time on some other planet, but I mean, they briefly seemed to be considering a relationship. Wouldn't somebody from Trill show up and exile her or something? Or maybe they just don't give the symbiont to anyone else. I don't remember now.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could see Quark and Bashir hitting him up for intimate details on Jadzia... only to have Worf kick all three of their butts. :p

13. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Would of been more interesting. Although, I think Worf would have the most issue with it for a while, then drank a gallon of prune juice and get over himself.

14. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Well, the prune juice would've helped him get a lot of his system.

--Sran

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think they went with a female Dax more because of the male:female ratio on the show than because of creative cowardice.

But it would have been cool to have a male Dax. Sisko re-discovering the things he used to do with Curzon, her 'suitors' feeling super-awkward about it as he tried to hang out with them as friends, then when they finally get over the awkwardness casually mentioning something intimate between them. A lot of creative possibilities there.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Erza being implanted with the Dax symbote was a emergency situation, Dax would have died prior to arriving on Trill if not implanted in someone, anyone.

Ezra (iirc) wasn't in the symbote program and didn't receive the training.

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, indeed, and that was one of the aspects that was great for the character - having to grow into the role of host.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's much that would've been done with it back in 1998. Bashir wouldn't have tried to make the moves on him. Worf is a wild card. He'd see him as a completely different person or he'd give him as much of a cold shoulder as possible and they'd never become friends.

If DS9 were made today, they'd push the angle that the new Dax used to be a woman. Homosexuality, transgender, not being completely one way or the other mentally, any of those. Bashir would have more inner conflict about it, but I still don't think he'd go for him... or would he? ... but Worf's reaction would be the same as it hypothetically would've been back then. Cold shoulder.

19. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I don't think so. He seemed to be quite hetero. I don't think he had any particular thing for Dax as Dax. He liked Jadzia, sure. But I don't think he held a particular flame for her, like Quark did. And if I remember correctly, he didn't pursue Ezri in particular, either - she chose him, he was available, and he's not the kind of guy that says no in that situation.

20. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

Oh, ok, makes more sense now. I must have not been paying attention there. ^_^