The ENT and Melakon

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Melakon, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I try to avoid mentioning them myself in this thread for the sake of any Trek virgins who might be reading. I certainly allude to them with some of "tv blurbs".

I just try to avoid them in the "reviews", I'm not worried about readers' comments. It's no biggie.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh.

But where will I opine on the wonders of the TCW?

3. Melakon

Feel free to opine them here. I watched them all in February and March, and for each commentary I watch an episode 3-5 times in the days before the post.

You might eventually persuade me my perception is mistaken. And will also have the ability to change my opinion of the Xindi Arc when I get there.

4. teacake

Yeah but I was going to post about stuff way past where you are in the thread.

Never mind, it will come up eventually.

And.. 3 to 5 times?! Woot!

5. Melakon

Go ahead and spill future stuff all you want. I'm only trying to control what my review posts reveal. Sort of a game of self-discipline I guess. Hell, I knew all about TATV years before I saw it this January. It's the only episode I'm dreading having to watch again for the final review, so thank the Great Bird that it's last.

6. Melakon

1:12 - Silent Enemy

TV Blurb: Aliens get sneaky, Malcolm shoots big, and Hoshi plays Miss Marple.

Unknown aliens attack, so Malcolm and Trip work to get the new phase cannon installed. Hoshi is ordered to solve a mystery. Written by Andre Bormanis. Directed by Winrich Kolbe.

Some nice effects work with the aliens, their ship, and cannon tests.

My favorite scene is a cargo bay search, due to camera and editing.

It's a nice show. Dominic Keating and Linda Park get good screen time.

Next: "Dear Doctor"

7. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Silent Enemy combines with Shuttlepod One to give Reed some great character back story, definitely more involved than Mayweather or Sato ever get.

8. teacake

Silent Enemy made me quit ENT the first time around.

The pineapple cake had me clawing the couch with frustration, THIS IS NOT A STORY, this is not science fiction, this is not character development, this is not interesting.

There were other factors though that made me so bored by it, like being half asleep because it was on at midnight here and interrupted constantly with 5 minute long ads for phone sex. When I eventually watched it all from the beginning in my own time at not at the mercy of our horrible tv stations I was.. okay about the pineapple cake :D

9. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I liked seeing his family, and his friend (except for AG Robinson, when else do we get to see any pre-launch pals?), Mark Latrelle.

10. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like "Silent Enemy." I have some dailies from the AD that show the alien scenes (without the aliens of course). The actors really do an amazing job in this episode with nothing there.

11. Melakon

The birthday quest was indeed an odd subplot for a Star Trek series, and seemed more appropriate for one of those teenaged girls shows I never watched. I'm sure the cake onstage was delicious for everyone after the shoot, but I'd never seen pineapple cake as shown here. I was expecting pineapple upside down cake.

12. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The whole birthday sub-plot didn't bother me at all; in fact I rather enjoyed it. It really was an easy way for the writers to show Malcom's guarded personality and it gave us some insight into his character.

13. teacake

I'm trying to think how you could infuse the maximum amount of pineapple flavour into a cake. I like hummingbird cake because of the pineapple but it could always do with having MORE pineapple.

14. Melakon

Hummingbird cake, that's a new one on me too. How many hummingbirds does it take to make one? Is it the entire hummingbird, or just its eggs? :shifty:

A hummingbird surprised me once. I was on an outside balcony at work, 9 floors above street level. There were some flower planters near the railing. A hummingbird came straight up about 2 feet away from my face and went after the flowers in the planter. It was a fascinating 20 seconds.

15. teacake

It's funny how small snapshots of life remain with you forever.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And our good ole moral Doctor Phlox has no problem with giving detailed medical information about anyone on request! :p

17. teacake

Yeah how does he know Hoshi wasn't plotting to kill Reed with one of his allergies?

18. Melakon

That was a big problem, though maybe Phlox later verified the "orders" with Archer.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Orders from a military superior don't matter. There is a thing called Doctor-patient confidentiality. At least among the ethical doctors... though Dear Doctor already proved that doesn't ally to Phlox.

20. Melakon

I'm studying "Dear Doctor" today, preparing for its analysis, and it may be a lengthy one judging from my first notes. Phlox obviously doesn't follow all aspects of the Hippocratic Oath.