Patrick Stewart, Leonard Nimoy on NRA Enemy List

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JarodRussell, Feb 5, 2013.

1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

My mom and uncle got me into target practice last year and I went bird hunting with my ex FIL (no shooting for me when hunting due to lack of experience and safety training) and I've really enjoyed it. My mom and uncle are good marksmen and take safety very seriously, even with a BB gun.

I'm moving to a bird hunting hotspot in a few weeks a definitely want to take the requisite training and get into it with some of the guys at work.

Plus, in an age of increasing gun violence, I wouldn't mind having some extra protection at home.

That being said, the NRA is nuts. They are as extreme as PETA or any other group that far out. But any special interest group is out to advance their agenda.

I'm a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. While not involved in such controversial topics, they publish a report every year that says our infrastructure is about 20 minutes away from falling apart. You can't tell me they aren't out to get zillions to fix bridges and leaky aqueducts.

2. gturner

gturner Admiral

Stewart and Nimoy can oppose firearms because they have phasers, so it wouldn't inconvenience them at all.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but if an Engineer is saying a bridge is falling apart and needs fixing, they can usually provide scientific evidence to support that viewpoint.

Unfortunantly there is no quick fix to the gun debate in the US. Even going to the extreme of a repeal of the 2nd ammendment woun't prevent tradegies like Sany Hook, Columbine, Virgina Tech and so on from ever happening agian. All that can be down is too reduce the risk of it happening it again.

Some will argue that if banning a gun (or type of gun) saved even 1 life it was worth it. Others will say that the right to own a gun is more important than trying to reduce the number of firearm related deaths.

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

What's with the list containing teachers and pediatricians? People who I think aren't supposed to be celebrities, public figures or whatever? How is drawing attention to them directly in any way acceptable? Is NRA 4chan?

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to watch movies of all these people now. So many cool celebs!
    Anyone who uses this list to boycott them will have ahard time ever seeing a movie in the theatre again.

6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging from the content of postings I've seen from a majority of pro-NRA people on TBBS, seeing a list like this actually feels a bit mortifying.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I don't quite understand the point of this list. To me it reads like "Look how fucking stupid and backwards we are. Here's a whole list of celebrities that you like, and organizations that do good who all hate us!"

8. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I was trying to say in [post=7641274]post #15[/post]. This and other tactics seem designed to inflame the passions of extremists while turning mainstream Americans against them. Either they're insane, or their agenda is not what their paying members think it is. Or both.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd go with both.

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, this list doesn't get nearly as much as attention as the list of child celebrities opposing Kirk Cameron, which draws support from both the left and right of the political spectrum.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ah, a good, old-fashioned enemies list. The spirit of McCarthy and Nixon lives on. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Unfortunately, they fail at getting celebrity babes to pose naked.

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, lists of "people and organizations that oppose our cause" are commonplace on any hot button issue, from gay marriage to global warming to Kirk Cameron.

Just typing "Organizations opposed to [space]" into Google brings up suggestions of:
    the death penalty, health care reform, stem cell research, global warming, gay marriage, euthanasia, bsl (breed specific legislation), globalization, gun control (the flip side of the NRA list), and cap and trade.

I think most advocacy organizations compile such lists.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Surprisingly, the guy can separate reality from entertainment. Lots of action stars are in favor of gun control, strange they didn't make it on the list.

14. Captrek

Richard Dean Anderson has endorsed laws to regulate Swiss Army knives and duck tape. Those things are dangerous!

15. gturner

gturner Admiral

Well, as I mentioned to a friend who was watching the hilarious edits of the latest Hollywood anti-gun commercial (in which each star's lines are intercut with their violent murder scenes), the problem is that many of the mass shooters can't seperate reality from entertainment, the Aurora Joker being a case in point. There are violent, crazy people out there who are obsessed with entertainment, one of the many reasons stars often have bodyguards, sometimes teams of them. And of course many of the stars who favor gun control favor it for everyone but themselves and their team of bodyguards.

"Only really rich and important people like me should be armed or protected by armed security" isn't exactly a revolutionary notion, belonging right up there with wanting maids, manservants, and of course lots of serfs to farm the estate.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

17. SmoothieX

It's called duct tape you know, genius.

18. Captrek

It's also called duck tape you know, genius.

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not so fast.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Duct_tape#Duck_tape_in_the_lead:

True or false, I don't know, but—you know—could be.

20. SmoothieX

Either way, you must admit it has wonderful uses.

[​IMG]