Spoilers TF: A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 20, 2013.

?

Rate A Ceremony of Losses.

1. Outstanding

77 vote(s)
    62.1%
  2. Above Average

38 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Following last month's highly acclaimed installment, I think it's safe to say that everybody is now sufficiently primed for author David Mack to take on the baton and deliver us A Ceremony of Losses (a fitting title for a David Mack novel if there ever was one :p), the third installment in the The Fall saga. Between the backcover blurb and a recent interview, hints are this one may just bring resolution (or at least significant advancement) to the arc of the Andorian reproductive crisis, a story that, impressively, has been with us for more than a decade now. Official street date: October 29th.

A taut, no-nonsense official blurb follows:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Really looking forward to this. I haven't particularly enjoyed Bashir's plots in the past few books, and I hope that David Mack can improve upon him.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ditto I want to see Julian Bashir get a good storyline .This is one of the books I've been looking forward to reading in this miniseries.:techman:

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing Bashir is going to go rogue and join 31 in exchange for help with the Andorian crisis. Something about the blurb on the back makes me think that.

5. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I'm stoked for this. But there's a main character on the cover who's been on Deep Space Nine since season one. The Rio Grande. Please please please don't destroy it.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm only as far as Brinkmanship, so it'll be a while before I get to this one, but I've really enjoyed the Andorian arc, so I am looking forward to it when I do make it this far.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Should we not expect a high body count in this novel?

8. DavetheAvatar

DavetheAvatar Ensign Newbie

Agreed! I would be rather saddened to see the Rio Grande be destroyed. Still, very excited for this book. I have been wanting some furthering of the Andorian situation for a while.

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised its not in a museum.

Of course, just because its on the cover, doesn't mean it'll be in the book. For the first book in The Fall series we had an Excelsior class ship on the cover, and yet I never did find a reference to an Excelsior class ship in the story.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Peter David already destroyed the Rio Grande way back in The Siege, the very first original DS9 novel, which was set in the early first season. It's rather amusing in retrospect. He had no way of knowing...

11. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

There were two Defiants. Maybe it's the Rio Grande-A and no one bothered mentioning it.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Except that he's already joined Section 31 if we're to believe Sloan, who said that Bashir was accepted into the organization after "Inquisition." Now, if you mean that Bashir's going to finally admit to himself that he's joined the group, that's something I'd like to see.

--Sran

13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The registiy of the Rio Grande is actually wrong on that cover if you look closely; it uses the registry of the Shenandoah (NCC-73024) from "Change of Heart" and "Valiant".

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Point of view I guess. Sloan might have said so, but if Bashir didn't feel he was part of it, he wasn't. He only did that one mission for them because he was told to by his superior officers.

15. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I'm sure Doug Drexler will whip himself naked through the streets of Aberdeen while weeping bitter tears of regret.

Just kidding. Apparently, the registry-number error in the digital model of the Rio Grande is a holdover from the post-production files of the DS9 episode "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River."

Ah, well. Bummer.

16. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

It's pretty neat how little holdovers like that show up as details in cover art.

17. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

Like I said above I hope the plucky, lucky runabout isn't destroyed. I know how you authors like to blow up things. Ha. :lol:

Don't make me start a Bring Back The Rio Grand club. Us BBRGers are meaner than the BBKJers (Bring Back Kathryn Janeway) crowd. :lol:

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i just picked this up at Barnes and Noble tonight. I've got 30 pages to go on Crimson Shadow, then i plan to dive into Ceremony of Losses.

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I should be so fortunate to have my bookstore get a trek novel in early. Awaiting the download...

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awaiting the hardcopy here in Ottawa-Gatineau.