What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Field of Prey, John Sandford. Very disappointing. Davenport inexplicably failed to follow up on a really big clue early on, which is totally out of character. There's a subplot that serves no purpose at all, except perhaps to up the body count. In fact, that was my impression of the whole book, that he was trying to see how many murders he could fit into one story.

2. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I just finished the third "Dexter" novel, and boy, does it blow. Seriously, I love stories about unhinged psychopaths killing people who deserve it, and I love stories about demons (mmmm, demons) and old pagan gods and stuff. But when I open a book I believe to the the former (and the first two totally were), I get kind of bummed when it turns out to be the latter. And it was a complete cop-out, too. The book should be re-named "The Ending: It Came Out Of Left Field".

Seriously, when exactly did "Dexter" turn into an episode of "Supernatural"? And if it has, WHERE ARE DEMON!DEAN AND THE KING OF HELL? Without my favourite boys, this whole thing sucks. I am disappoint. :(

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Thankfully the Dexter tv series avoided that supernatural bullshit. I've really no idea why the writer decided to add that element to the Dexter novels.

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

After finishing Meltwater, I started listening to the next book in the series, Sea of Stone by Michael Ridpath, narrated by. Sean Barrett.

This series is about Magnus Johnson/Ragnarson, a policeman who was born in Iceland, but who moved to the USA when he was 12. He becomes a policeman in Boston but ends up being seconded to Icelandic Police to help the Icelanders deal with new sorts of crime. Magnus considers himself to be dual nationality but finds it hard to intregrate back into Icelandic society. He also comes up with policing practice that are different from what he is used to.

He finds himself working with Vigdis, a young woman whose father was a black American stationed at the US airforce base. Vigdis has never met her father and considers herself to be totally Icelandic but faces prejudices because of the colour of her skin.

I have really enjoyed all four books in this series.

5. down to earth

down to earth Lieutenant Red Shirt

No waaay, is that a real book?! :lol:

6. Miss Chicken

I am listening to The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, narrated by Jeremy Irons.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To Hell on a Fast Horse: Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett, and the Epic Chase to Justice in the Old West by Mark Lee Gardner

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It is, I've been meaning to read it myself.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Failure Is Not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Gene Kranz

10. Miss Chicken

I am listening to The Crow Road by Iain Banks, read by Peter Kenny.

My e-book read is The Murder of Harriet Krohn by Karin Fossum.

11. SB118_Laxyn

SB118_Laxyn Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am reading the books of Drizzt Do'Urden, Forgotten Realms (AD&D). Got them for my birthday by a fellow roleplay because he knew that I'm playing a drow in my RP round, and so far it is a very interesting read :)

12. Miss Chicken

I am listening to Weird Life: The Search for Life that is Very, Very Different from Our Own by David Toomey, narrated by Eric Martin. Currently on to life that around the hydrothermal vents on the ocean floors. Looking forward to chapters about what life might live in Martian permafrost and on Jupiter's moons.

After finishing The Crow Road I have sent for the miniseries based on the books. Made in 1996 it stars Peter Capaldi as Uncle Rory.

13. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Wolf Hall, Mantel

It makes me want to watch Becket, though that was a different Henry and a different Thomas.

14. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Broken Soul by Faith Hunter

15. Miss Chicken

My current e-book read is The Lost World: A Retelling by Brent Saltzman. It is a modern day adaption of Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World but set in the Congo rather than South America.

16. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished The Long War this week, and moved on to Slow Apocalypse by John Varley. Someone finds a way to destroy all the oil in the world by introducing an organism that causes it to solidify and explode, and bad things happen as a result.

I also bought two new books today - well, one new and one used, but new to me. Energized by Edward M. Lerner and Russian Spring by Norman Spinrad. I think that brings my backlog of unread books up to somewhere close to 90...

17. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading ST Voyager: Acts of Contrition these days.

18. Miss Chicken

I am listening to The Gingerbread House by Carin Gerhardson, narrated by Candida Gubbins. A Swedish crime novel about a serial killer.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I finished The Long War this morning, not sure what I'll start on next. I was going to start on The Martian, but life's taken a bit of a hectic turn so I may reread something so it doesn't matter as much if I don't give it my full attention.

As for The Long War...
    there is a disctinct lack of war :lol:

20. Miss Chicken

I am listening to The Dig Tree: A True Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier by Sarah Murgatroyd, narrated by Catherine Milte. It is the story of the Burke and Wills expedition of 1860 who were the first people to traverse the continent from south to north though most of the men died on the return journey.

I am getting through my e-book and paperback book more slowly than my audiobooks so I plan to concentrate on them a bit more tomorrow and the day after that.