Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Judi Dench´s portrayal of Elizabeth I in Shakespear in Love and her dry humor and her wit. The same goes for Bacco. So I´m with you.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Bacco is from Cestus III, so I'm not sure where Earth nationality plays into it, but if you trace her ancestry back to Earth, it would be to neither the U.S. nor the UK, but to Italy. :)

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Since baseball was so popular on Cestus III, I always assumed that a lot of people from that part of the world settled on Cestus. Of course, this does not mean necessarily mean Bacco would be american, as KRAD was so kind to point out..

4. KRAD

^ That's a silly assumption, since baseball is also extremely popular in the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Cuba, Japan, Canada, Taiwan, and the Netherlands.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Why is it silly to assume several Americans settled Cestus? Baseball is the national sport in several american nations. I never said it was exclusively Americans from the USA. The Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Cuba, and Canada are all part of the America's, aren't they? And, the only baseball player we knew of for sure was Kasidy Yates' brother, and from what I can tell, Kasidy was of African American decent. I was just going by the information that was available.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, my feeling that Bacco should have a more working/middle-class American vibe was based on KRAD's description of her as being based in part on both Molly Ivins and former Texas Governor Ann Richards. In fact, given his description of these two prominent residents of that state as among the inspirations for Bacco, I sometimes picture Bacco with a Texan accent.

Whether or not you think Bacco should have an American accent, I stand by my stance on Mirren or Dench, though: I think they are both too patrician. Yeah, actors can act -- but most also have a fairly consistent vibe they bring with them, and an affect of being "patrician" or "plebeian" is typically among them.

I would, however, loved to see either one of these actors as Federation Councillor T'Latrek of Vulcan, whom I do imagine as having a very patrician air about her.

7. KRAD

^ Funny you should say that, Sci, because I've always written T'Latrek with Judi Dench in mind. :)

8. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Any suggestions for Klingon characters? Robert O´Reilly said, actors who play Klingons often have experience with playing Shakespeare characters. But they need physical presence, too. I like Robert O´Reilly´s glare.

9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been trying to find a decent Klingon in TrekLit that could be played by Clancy Brown. That man would be a great Klingon!

10. KRAD

Actually, Clancy Brown would be excellent for Lorgh......

11. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

I've always thought Leslie Jordan would make a good Klingon . . . I'm just not sure for which particular role. . . :)

And then there's Gilbert Gottfried. Even with his stature being slight, I'm betting his delivery would fill the bill! :)

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's hardly a Trek character who wouldn't be made massively more awesome AND hilarious by having their lines read by Gilbert Gottfried.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He needs to be a Ferengi.

14. Paper Moon

Paper Moon Commander Red Shirt

^Agreed– Gilbert Gottfried has to be a Ferengi. Failing that, a Zakdorn.

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

I missed a couple posts, and thought you were still talking about Clancy Brown.

That was an interesting mental image. :p

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what Gottfried's real voice sounds like. I know it's nothing like the screechy thing he always does in public.

17. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

He used his real voice in this SNL Weekend Update bit the year he was in the cast. (Warning, somewhat NWS content)

18. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

A few from Vanguard:

Karen Cahow - Elisabeth Rosen (Jennifer Hailey on SG-1; more recent photos)
    Mahmud al-Khaled - Khaled Nabawy (star of The Citizen, the mullah in Kingdom of Heaven)
    Vanessa Theriault - Molly Quinn (Alexis Castle on Castle; semi-recent interview - spoilers for season 6)

I don't know if you've seen it, but she showed off her childhood Los Angeles accent on Conan a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GgHhOqUrUw&t=2m8s.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Molly Quinn a lot, but don't you think she's a bit young? Granted, Theriault starts as an ensign in the stories set in 2266, but she's a lieutenant j.g. by 2268 and a lieutenant commander by 2269. Quinn only just turned 21--she's literally not even old enough to have graduated from college yet on a traditional college schedule. And she looks it.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always gone with Alyson Hanigan for Theriault. I believe she was David Mack's pick, and I've never really been able to picture anyone else.