STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Belz...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/19/entertainment-us-boxoffice-idUSBRE94I09K20130519

Paramount was hoping that this film would be like STIV, which attracted the general audience. From what I am reading, it is the fans who are seeing this film multiple times. Paramount was, also, hoping to get the coveted 18-to-25 year olds to see this film, but it is the older crowd who are watching the film.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3686&p=.htm

Having Alice Eve in her two-piece was acknowledged earlier this year as a ploy to get these younger males into seats.

I have done research on the terms fanboy and fangirl. I was wrong in what I said. However, the impression I get from research is that these are the people who will enthusiastically support a product, even when it's flawed. They are not the sort of people who would openly criticize a flawed product. In fact, fanboys and fangirls would attack these people for disagreeing with them. This is based on a cursory reading of the definitions supplied for this word at Urban Dictionary. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy)

PC Magazine defines fanboy as,

(http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/58308/fanboy)

I may get things wrong, but generally I make it a habit to research what I write so that I speak not out of ignorance.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

If the majority of people who saw the film were longtime Star Trek fans, the movie would have been the biggest box office bomb of the year. There simply aren't enough people to keep the film franchise viable with only the longtime fans going to see it. Even Nemesis with its poor showing relied on a hell of a lot more than just fans seeing it.

Plus, that article is discussing the projected turnout in the first weekend before the weekend was even out. Of course there's going to be a higher turnout of fans in the premiere weekend.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will end up a fantastical myth like all the fantastical myths we happily include in our history. I can't see it having lasting impact. Those that saw it will die off, the story will become hazier and more fantastical and eventually the civilization will develop to the point where most think the story is fiction dreamed up by some primitive who ate too many magic yellow mushrooms.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's what i thought on my first viewing - but on my second I saw that although the Enterprise was damaged and helpless, it was Khan's attack after beaming Kirk, Scotty and Carol back which damaged the warp core and sent the Enterprise falling to Earth.

5. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, I notice that every time. It's weird!

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Assuming this is correct, that's a LOT of fans. Second, that's very bad for the franchise.

7. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For the purposes of the movie, I think it worked. The first thing that came to mind for me, with that overhead shot, was "Mexico City" - i.e. a giant structure built in the middle of a lake. But I've only seen STID once, so I could be wrong.:)

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

It's just another nod to TOS. In Gamesters of Triskellion, Kirk mangles Uhura's name (see, there's a minutiae-laden Trekkie in each of us :lol:).

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

And at the end of Wrath of Khan, Kirk shouts, "Go Zulu!" as they warp away from the exploding Genesis device. That annoys me every. Single. Time.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Nah, you're just mishearing. He says Sulu ! Right ? Right ?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

There aren't enough Trek fans in North America to open a movie at better than about a thirty million dollar weekend. Most folks who saw it last week weren't trekkies.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  12. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We saw it at an 11:50 matinee. Just as Spock asks Carol Marcus "what are you doing here?" the power for the entire theater cut out. In the while-the-time-away discussions, I heard a younger-than-me group talking about the various Trek tv shows. Most memorable line overheard? "I can't watch the original show - it's too cheesy." (Second most memorable? An older guy telling his female companion "See, they have Section 31 and so do we!")

My husband and I are not the target demographic for this series now - it's the guy who doesn't think he'd watch TOS due to it's cheese quotient.

(After about 15 minutes of waiting, the entire multiplex was herded out and given passes. We drove to Waukesha and it took us until 4 p.m. to finish, but we did manage to see the whole movie.)

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, you've got to figure that most fans account for more than one ticket sold. I've gone to three showings with six people, and you could only call three of them other than me "fans."

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, along with high critical ratings and fan ratings in general, the site known for STID "bashing" rates an 8.3 from audiences, and ST09 is rated an 8.1.

15. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

I went to see STID with my best friend at Saturday's 1:10 pm showing in Jasper, AL, and, including myself and my friend, there were exactly six people in the theater. For the sake of the prestige of the Star Trek brand, I was hoping the film would do better than this. :(

16. Admiral Buzzkill

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

That 1-pm-on-Saturday Jasper, AL constituency is harsh, man.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

How do we know that's not a significant percentage of the total population of Jasper, AL?

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That wasn't name-calling, and "fanboy ranting" is both a reasonably accurate and a remarkably concise description of the content of at least three of the four reviews to which his remark was being addressed.

20. siskokid888

siskokid888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Either Quark's, or a bar on St. Mark's Place
    Well, late to the party, and I just can't make a determination about the movie (I gave it a B-). A lot of you, from the poll anyway, seemed to really like it. I can't decide, maybe I will have a better take after my second viewing. Plenty of action, decent humor. Fairly interesting story. I had guessed right about Cumberbatch's identity. As others have mentioned, the whiter than white 'batch playing (SPOILER ALERT)

Kahn took me back a little, but it is a movie after all. I just was hoping for a little more substance. The question is, with studios demanding the big payday from franchises like Trek, will we ever see a truly substantive Trek film.

Anyway, as I mentioned, a lot of you seemed to really like this movie. Would you point out to me what you saw as making it so enjoyable to you? Maybe you could help sway me from thinking it was mediocore to seeing something about it that I missed. Thanks.