Race & Spider-Man: Sony Confirms a Glass Ceiling for Miles Morales

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Shaka Zulu, May 15, 2014.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's probably just shared rights. What's hard to believe about that? Obviously, Sony never owned Daredevil but the rights were still associated with him in order to make the Daredevil movie.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nothing.

The Daredevil movie was made by Fox.

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

And the rights to Kingpin were "loaned" to FOX by Sony to make Daredevil, probably for a monetary price. Daredevil has since returned to Marvel, but whether or not Marvel owns Kingpin is still something for contract lawyers to argue. Either way, Marvel has other properties to explore on film, so Kingpin isn't necessary.

FWIW, Sony has stayed away from Kingpin, too. The waters are probably too murky and not important enough to wade through.

4. Alidar Jarok

^ Kevin Fiege has been clear that they have the rights to use Kingpin (and I would be genuinely shocked if he doesn't appear). That's why I'm skeptical that he was only loaned for the Daredevil movie.

Sorry, let me say that more clearly, I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. Obviously, Sony never owned Daredevil (Fox did), (so) the rights were still associated with (Daredevil) in order to make a Daredevil movie (and also associated with Spider-Man on television).

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

See, I've seen that oft repeated on multiple websites based on that Fiege interview, but here's what he actually says:

So he's not clear, he doesn't know. We have to take his word for it because he's in a position to know more than us, though. Not that it really matters, it's kind of a moot point. Marvel doesn't have a pressing need to introduce the Kingpin character in the films. Possibly the Daredevil TV show if at all.

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That could actually work in the movies if they want a cohesive, Garfield Spiderman universe. Let Parker grow up in this one, become a teacher and have Morales be his student.

Introduce him a movie or two before you kill off Garfield's Parker and let the audience warm up to him as Parker's protegé who is then inspired by Peter Parker's story and heroism to take up the mantle once the original Spiderman is killed in action.

It would make for a great story and i'd like to see that for both story potential and to see other races represented as heroes.

7. Alidar Jarok

He knows it's one of two options. He's not 100% clear on which. But either option belies the idea that Sony "loaned" Kingpin to Daredevil unless it was just a CYA move.

Given what they've said about the Daredevil TV show so far, I think it's pretty clear that Kingpin will be involved. Do I think Kingpin is necessary in a Daredevil series? No. Not necessary. But I do think he's his strongest villain and I do think the first season will likely involve Fisk, Bullseye, and Elektra and take elements of Vol. 1 issues 168 (or perhaps slightly before) to 191 or so.