Homosexuals and Deltans

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Sam_I_Am, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

So, maybe this has been discussed, maybe it hasn't, but what do you suppose happens when, for example, a gay human male meets a female Deltan? Will her pheromones attract him or not?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect that, if anything, they'd get a mild headache like hetero women do around Orion females (ENT: "Bound")

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Probably the same thing that happens when a gay human male meets a human female. A better question would be, is a gay human male affected by a gay male Deltan? Or does a heterosexual human male suddenly get attracted to a gay male Deltan?

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guesses would be: yes on the first, no on the second.

5. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Its pretty simple.

These 'super pheromones' should heighten sexual urges. So for a gay man/woman that would still attract them to the same gender of Deltan that they have always been attracted to.

6. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

That depends on how the pheromones work. If they are "merely" aphrodisiacs, what you say is correct. But if they work like Orion pheromones, ie working on specific sexes, then things would be different (though even then, it depends on just what the mechanism the pheromones use to get the reaction, and what specifically causes the homosexuality in the human).

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the whole purpose of pheromones is to further the cause of procreation, I would think they would be tooled towards the opposite sex.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

^ But in Deltan society, sex isn't just for procreation. It is part of literally every facet of their lives. Deltans are pretty much f*cking all the time. So it would seem that their bodies would produce pheromones constantly, to serve this purpose.

9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since I was born hard-wired for attraction to the same gender, the Deltan pheromones would either attract me to male Deltans or not work on me.

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been a while since I saw TMP, but I don't recall any mention there of Deltan's having overpowering pheromones (of course I could be wrong). From what I gathered they were just a very open and 'hedonistic' people, for who sex is an expressive part of their society, whilst also being very intense (most likely due to their telepathy)—for a people like that pheromones wouldn't really be necessary, as they would just have consensual sex with whoever they wanted. Which is why Ilia (and presumably all other who chose to leave Delta IV) took an Oath of Celibacy—as she says, to protect the “sexually immature” species they would encounter. If pheromones were involved, in order to live a life off of Delta IV they would need to take something that would suppress them or else they'd face sexual abuse and unwanted advances everywhere they went.

As for whether a homosexual man/woman would be attracted to an opposite sexed Deltan, I would say no. I do find some women pretty/stunning/attractive, but have no desire to sleep with them, and her being bald wouldn't change my opinion.

That's just my take on it.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They do have pheromones but when they go into space they're given medicine to suppress them and take the oath of celibacy while off world.

12. Bry_Sinclair

^ Where was that established, like I said I'm a little rusty on my TMP.

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Which reminds me to ask a question after having watched STID: At first, it didn't occur to me that this captain could have been Deltan.

After seeing his female and equally bald-headed counterpart in STID and other "baldies" (no offense) I'm starting to wonder how many Deltans are involved in nuTrek or not.

Bob

14. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Yeah, they have super strong pheromones. It was explained in detail in GR's Star Trek The Motion Picture novel. You could probably read about it on Memory Alpha as well for any other sources.

15. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though technically it's only the movies/TV shows that are canonical...

16. Bry_Sinclair

Ah ok. Thank you.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Although pheromones are not mentioned, Ilia does deliver the line "My oath of celibacy is on record, Captain" fairly early in the movie. If you jump to approx. 32:00 (theatrical version), you can review the scene in question.

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Am I the only one who finds the idea of pheromones off-putting?

Male, female, gay, straight, Orion, Deltan. I don't like the idea of being overwhelmingly attracted to someone because of the way they smell. Its like being drugged to have sex with someone. I don't find it erotic or sexy at all. Exotic maybe.

Off-putting for a Deltan too I'd imagine. Having people fawning over you because they are too immature sexually to control themselves.

19. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

If it means anything, the most current research suggests that people don't respond to pheromones of someone from the opposite sex if they are attracted to the same same (as opposed to someone attracted to the opposite sex). Pheromones don't simply put someone in the mood.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

He's not. Captain Robau is human.