Wolverine and the X-Men: Why was it cancelled?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

So I was just re-watching the episode 'Rover' and wow, it was amazing. Has anyone else seen this episode? It was incredibly cool for me to see the Sentinels engaging the X-Men. I can't get enough of seeing the Sentinels in action!

On re-watching this episode, I noticed that the rogue 'Rover' Sentinel looked a lot like the Mark 1 Sentinels from the X-Men animated show of the early 90's. Did anyone else notice that?

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Didn't the showrunners say that it was set in the same universe as The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's safe to say no. :sigh:

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Does he ever? From every topic I've ever seen him start, I can only conclude he thinks we're a substitute for Google.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: -
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think so, at one point or another. I remember that MRD was mentioned in an episode of EMH so that may validate this assertion.

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, if it works ....

8. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

Stop trolling man, it's getting old.

I just wanted to hear if anyone else enjoyed the show as much as me.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the show was great, and it sucks that it didn't last longer. It looked like its second season would have been cool.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes. Also several characters had the same voices, including Fury (Alex Desert), though his character design changed between the two shows. Of course, several Marvel characters have consistent voices across multiple continuities (including Steve Blum as Wolverine and Fred Tatasciore as Hulk), but there are some subtly shared backstory elements where Wolverine and the Weapon X project are concerned.

Note, however, that although the DVD feature Hulk vs. Wolverine is sometimes alleged to be a prequel to the "Wolverine vs. Hulk" episode of W&tXM, and uses some of the same voice cast and creative staff, it's actually in an incompatible continuity; at least one character who dies in HvW is alive years later in W&tXM, and the Wolverine of HvW learns things about his past that the Wolverine of the show is still in the dark about years later (although that isn't always definitive given what a mess Logan's memory is).

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Getting old? Ignoring for a second the *monumental* irony and hypocrisy present in that statement...I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever posted in one of your threads.

Also, that's not trolling. That's giving an honest answer in a humorous manner. If you think that's what trolling is then you've never been trolled.

As for the show, yes I enjoyed it for what it was. Not a patch on the Bruce Timm DC stuff, nor as memorable as the old 90's X-men cartoon. Pretty middling overall.

12. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

maybe you guys need to stop being enablers!

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a great show. Some of the set pieces were really cool, especially the tactics used by Kitty. I wish it had last longer.

14. Silvercrest

Like I said.

Not consistent with title of thread.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's not unusual to have a thread with the title of "why was something cancelled" and really be a discussion about how much one appreciated the show. See threads about Firefly and Dollhouse for examples. Now that the op clarified, maybe that clears up the confusion about whether it was literally about why it was cancelled.

Anyway, I never saw this version. Maybe at some point I'll go back and check it out. I think the premise, which placed Wolverine at front and center, kind of bothered me, but I don't know if the actual show followed closely that premise (irony, I'm judging it by its title ;) ).

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Perhaps we all need to stay on topic.

ReadyAndWilling, you have little room for complaint given your past performance, so please leave the accusations of trolling to the moderators for evaluation.

Mr. Adventure, Reverend, Silvercrest and anyone else concerned about Ready's posting ... you likewise need to stick to the topic. If you are concerned about anyone's posting tactics simply notify the moderators and WE will handle it. Capiche?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It varied. Some of its episodes were very Wolverine-centric, while others (probably the majority) were much more team-driven and dealing with more general X-Men story elements like the "Days of Future Past" future, Magneto's mutant enclave on Genosha, and the like. So the title was pretty accurate in that sense: It was a combination of a Wolverine show and an X-Men show.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

The title turned me off instantly so I only watched a few episodes. In general I didn't care for a lot of the central premise, especially turning Wolverine into an almost-Cyclops figure and vice-versa. It did have Kurt and Kitty, so that's a point in its favor, but in general for me it goes below the 90s show and Evo.

19. Silvercrest

Mea culpa; I focused too hard on the thread title. The topic is fine. Alidar Jarok makes a good point.

20. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked WATX. Wish it would have lasted longer.

It was a fun take on X-Men continuity. Definitely worth checking out if you're an X-Men fan. Don't let the name fool you. Lots of X-Men get lots of chances to shine. Nightcrawler was awesome.

If you're not familiar with the show but you were thinking of watching it, try to avoid spoilers. There are some pretty cool twists throughout the season.