Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I spent the whole night tossing and turning (and peeing every 2 hours for some reason), so I was not very motivated this morning. Frankly, it's a wonder I got out of bed at all.

I'll hope for a good night's sleep tonight and start the swimming thing tomorrow.

2. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you drink a lot of coffee or caffeinated drinks? Frequent urination is also a symptom of Type 2 diabetes.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not sure what I did. I peed a lot more last night than I normally do.

And no, there was no caffeine or anything. I did accidentally take a little nap yesterday afternoon, so that probably had something to do with it. Oh well, it's not the morning, but I'm off to the gym to try the swimming thing anyway. It's also Leg Day. Hopefully the combination will wear me out enough to fall asleep tonight.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, that certainly worked! Holy crap, I can't remember the last time a workout made me nauseous. My head is still spinning.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, I think I may have ingested too much pool water, and I think I got a lot in my ears.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ew don't do that.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It didn't happen on purpose.

I do love swimming for cardio, though. I just need to remember how to breathe right while doing it!

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

... aaaaaand I'm sick again. So much for an exercise routine.

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Dammit! I just found out last night my gym is closing at the end of the month. Some dispute with the landlord.

It was a basic gym without lots of frills, but the equipment was new, you could almost always find a station, the locker room was clean, and the staff helpful. Time to poke around for a new one.

9. Gryffindorian

Well, don't push yourself too hard, Kes, especially when you're sick. Some people may experience typical aches and pains, but when the pain gets too intense that you can't move, then you're probably not doing something right.

10. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, I know. It's not that. It's that I have a stupid immune system which overreacts to things like pollen, and then is complete crap when it comes to fighting colds. So I get sick a lot, and when I have a cold it means things like nebulizers and very little activity for quite awhile. Then by the time I'm feeling better, I've totally broken my routine and it's difficult to get back into working out.

Sorry, I try not to go all self-pitying but sometimes it just sucks. I'm not even going outside! I just want to run for a half hour on the treadmill a day. Is that too much to ask?

11. Gryffindorian

Hope you feel better. And that's what this thread is for--so we can all motivate one another. :) On the other hand, this time of the year may not be as appealing for an outdoor exercise as during the spring and summer. The days are certainly getting shorter. Although it's been nice lately here in the Bay Area, we've also gotten some rain and it's starting to get cold, too.

I have an elliptical machine at home and would like to get a treadmill, too, one day.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I destroyed my legs the other day. I was trying to train people at the gym today and couldn't even demonstrate things properly because I'm so sore!

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Two really great workouts in a row. I'm feeling great.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This kid Joe that I've been training has been kicking his own ass when I work with him. It's been really motivating for me.

15. Gryffindorian

RAMA, I'm at 22% body fat as of this morning. Now the scale says that's high normal, but you're right. I aim to drop down to at least 20%.

16. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

About a year ago I was at about 230 lb. (which is a bit high for me) and put together a program to get back down to my ideal range (between 200 and 210). I finally got below 210 about 5 months ago and have been careful to avoid 200 (I hit as low as 202 once or twice, but otherwise have been hovering just above 205... I'm at 207 right now).

I don't have a good reason for wanting to get bigger (at 17% body fat and a height of 5'11" I'm already pretty big), but I'm considering stepping up my workouts to get up to around 215 lb. and down to around (or just below) 15% body fat.

I've already identified the weak points in my workouts... the things I do quite consistently are almost exclusively focused on my chest, shoulders and triceps. I do tons of push-ups, dips and standing dumb bell presses, but slack off on everything else. I originally had things like neutral grip pull-ups and bent-over dumb bell rows as part of my plan, but got lazy.

I figure that even if I don't put on any extra pounds, at least I'll be better balanced. :shifty:

17. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

As I've finally settled into my new city/place, I realized that I had built up a bit of a gut while I was at home for two months after college... I guess too much Taco Bell and Mountain Dew. I've already switched my diet to avoid eating out and I started my first day at the gym. Doing my regular combo of cardio/weights.

Are carbs that bad for me? My diet has been pretty much consisting of whatever the hospital is serving for lunch and then either spaghetti or eggs and beans for dinner. I am working on cutting out sugars (i.e. candy) and it is going better.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

All right, I survived Halloween weekend. I didn't eat very much, and I definitely consumed some alcohol, so I'm gonna be a little worn out this week. However, it was totally worth it.

No major drinking holidays coming up for a little while, so it's time to get serious.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Good luck with that!!:techman:

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have not survived Yankees parties well, I've eaten my share of pizza...ugh I refrained last night. I started back on my diet.

RAMA