Clone Wars feature film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Johnny Rico, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, so I finally got my Clone Wars DVD today and watched the film for the first time, after having seen the series up until now. Amd quite frankly, I thought the film was pretty good. Knowing how the series is, I think it can lower expectations to a degree. But that said, and after having listened to the commentary and watching the special features on the DVD, including clips from many episodes of Season 1 of the series, I gotta say that this series will someday be looked upon as classic Star Wars canon.

The way the producers are marketing this series is that they are taking the Star Wars Universe and expanding it beyond the story of Anakin Skywalker. Which I think is something the Star Wars franchise has been lacking in film/TV since its inception in '77. There is just so much more out there in the Star Wars Universe that it can make for many interesting stories.

Judging from the clips of the episodes we have yet to see, this series is gonna be great. Apparently there's another trilogy of episodes coming up dealing with some planet.

But one thing is for sure though...this series in indeed rendered in 2.40:1 unlike the 1.78:1 ratio we see CN broadcasting it in. So hopefully the eventual DVD release of Season 1 will be in the correct ratio.

2. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

The Clone Wars movie is decent, though I found the narration annoying and some of the Jabba the hutt kid stuff

3. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

For those who watched it back in August, was anything cut or edited out from the theatrical release? There was a great deal of whooping and hollering over Hutt scenes, iirc, involving a female hutt, or something...I was surprised to find that the movie wasn't the epic fail many posters labeled it as. Kinda dragged in the middle, but all in all, a decent movie.

4. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

There was no female hutt in the theatrical release and as far as I know the dvd is the exact same version as the theatrical release

5. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Ziro the Hutt was foppish...and effeminant. Someone said a tribute to Truman Capote. I found him quite hilarious.

I'm not sure why you'd send tanks straight up a mountain instead of using gunships.

6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

because it's KEWL!

i did like it though, and i'm enjoying the series (5:30PM, Sky Movies Premiere, Saturdays)

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Why do Sky have to put it on the movie channels, when it's a frakking TV show?
    I have Sky but don't pay the extra for the movies as I'd never watch them. Why don't they put this on Sky One? Bastards

8. captcalhoun

possibly because Sky One's schedule was too full.

9. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I recently purchased the DVD, and if I get a spare couple hours, I will actually watch it.

10. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Yeah, they couldn't lose just ONE episode of the Simpsons a week...

11. captcalhoun

*shrug* at least on SMP we get it without commercials...

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I was deeply disappointed with how low The Clone Wars seems to be aiming. The excuse for it is that it's trying to be a kids show, nothing more. I think the live action movies have proven that a good adventure story can & should appeal to kids & adults alike. It's pure laziness that The Clone Wars is dumbing itself down so far that only children could possibly find any real entertainment in it. I'm told that the TV series is slightly better than the movie because it focuses more on the minor, undeveloped characters of the franchise rather than just running Anakin Skywalker into the ground. Still, this seems to have all the sophistication of my best friend & I playing with action figures back in 4th grade. That's fine if you're making up the adventures yourself but it's death to watch other people do it.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is it the same Tom Kane narration we get at the beginning of the show's episodes? I kind of like that. It sounds like a '40s newsreel announcer, fitting the WWII-movie flavor that the producers are going for. It also evokes the opening crawls of the movies, but in a form that can be absorbed faster by the viewer and works better in a half-hour show.

14. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"turning every shade of green except the one he's supposed to be" was an especially annoying line; I kind of like Anakin, and was disappointed by his portrayal in this film; most of the character designs were bad, especially Dooku, and Jabba was taken down too much.

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Question (somewhat off topic) was this released on DVD as well? All I've seen are Blu-Ray copies of it.

16. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

17. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

Yeah, he also does Yoda's voice (also did Yoda's voice in Clone Wars cartoon series) and others.

18. captcalhoun

i like the film and the series and i'm a 30 year old adult. any claim no-one over 12 can enjoy it is BS.

19. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

The film was good, and I saw it in theaters, but overall I much prefer Genndy Tartakovsky's "Clone Wars" over the new CGI "The Clone Wars" TV show.

It is just that I wish George Lucas would have explored that time period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Having seen "The Droids" cartoon way back in the 1980's, there is a lot of ground here that they can cover had they wanted to. :borg:

20. Siwilliams

Siwilliams Fleet Captain

That is what the live action series is going to deal with, between episodes 3 and 4