STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They have to have something to announce/greenlight. Greenlighting involves the studio approving the finances of the film, etc. There's nothing to finance or approve yet. They haven't even developed a story yet.

That's like trying to announce the birth of your next baby when the first one was just born 5 minutes ago.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    12 times ? That would've cost me 360 dollars (I pay for the wife as well) !!!

There are a grand total of zero movies I like that much. :)

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

12 times. Wow.

I tend to choose one movie to support, and go a bunch of times. STID was four times, for me.

Last Christmas, it was Skyfall.

4. Kolinahr

Kolinahr Lieutenant Red Shirt

Same here, except I only went twice. I'm broke so there's not much I could do xD

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They greenlit STID before ST 2009 was out in theaters though.March 2009, if I remember right.
    And they had no story, nor did they know if Abrams would direct it at that point either.

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

If I am in charge of Paramount I would be pushing for the earliest possible release date, no point in hanging around waiting for JJ. Christmas 2015 should be the date. Hobbit is finished by then and the new Avatar sequels will not be ready either. Christmas 2015 is the best date for Trek.

7. SalvorHardin

The release date will be sometime in the 2016 summer blockbuster season, JJ or no JJ as director. I doubt it's going to move anywhere else.

8. Kolinahr

Really? That seems highly illogical and very irresponsible. Reminds me of that old proverb 'counting chickens before they hatch'. Maybe that's why STiD suffered in the eyes of many fans? In any case, they should wait for at least the ideas to be brought forward before green-lighting anything.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a difference between script development, which is often started very early on for potential franchise sequels, and actually greenlighting a project to start production. If a film's box office isn't good enough they can always pull the plug on the sequel. Simply starting script development doesn't actually commit them to make a film.

Edited to add: the weekend actual went up a little to $2,100,458 for $220,561,325.

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Bob Orci has said that he is in talks with Paramount about the next Trek movie.

11. SalvorHardin

Yeah.
    I also read an interview the other day and Chris Pine is now committed for 2 more movies, instead of one.

Yep. The news came out March 30, 2009

http://variety.com/2009/film/news/star-trek-sequel-on-track-1118001885/

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You don't have an equivalent of Half-Price Tuesday in your area?

You can't afford $15 (each) for a little entertainment (of over two hours) you really enjoy every few weeks?

You don't have a scheme where you can buy a booklet of ten (or five) discount tickets? (I almost never pay full price for a movie.)

You can only ever go to movies with your wife? :vulcan:

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Sometimes I actually prefer going to the flicks on my own, and I certainly wouldn't label myself in anyway "antisocial". I've seen STID seven times, twice with my wife, twice with friends and three times on my lonesome.

Actually, it was the Mrs who suggested going the second time. That's a great indicator of the movies broader appeal in my book - she is not a fan!!!

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

ST:TMP was my first solo experience, as a newbie Trekker and I found it was such a different experience. I love going to movies by myself now!

I often wonder if I'd still be as passionate about TMP if I'd seen it on opening night, where several of my future friends had wandered out absolutely hating it, and walking away from active fandom for several years.

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Got the fifth viewing under my belt sans son who slept in... 10 a.m. showing. 20 people there. Still loved the way the father-son dynamic played out culminating in Pike's death. Male action figures crying is something you don't see all that often, but man were the tears flowing in this film...

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Unfortunately, I've only been to see STiD once...
    Circumstances have been such that going to the movies, is a rare treat now-a-days.

As for multiple times of seeing a movie...

I do remember an occasion back in December of 1974 when I was stuck in Washington DC for a four day weekend of sight-seeing...
    I arrived Friday morning just before one of the biggest snowfalls in DCs' history socked in the entire North East.
    Stuck in a mid-range motel (two stars) in Alexandria for four days, the only saving grace was that right next door, was a two screen theater which happen to be showing "The Towering Inferno" on both.
    (back then one didn't wander around Alexandria alone day or night, unless one had no choice. Especially if one was a lilly-white honky-boy :ouch:)

If I remember correctly, it cost between $1.50 to $2.00 to see a movie.

I saw "The Towering Inferno" 14 times that weekend.

I remember actually only paying about $8.00 total for the whole weekend to see the movie, as for most of the shows, I was pretty much the only viewer and the theater owner was kind enough to not kick me out, between viewings.

After I explained my circumstances, he was quite friendly and we ended up enjoying each others company for several of the shows.
    (as well as some "after hours" fun in my motel room starting Saturday night. I was quite the adventurer in my younger days :devil:)

I don't remember how much I paid for the boxes of popcorn and soda. (though much of it was on-the-house, after we became "friendlier")

There is much more to this story, as I returned to that particular motel on many more occasions for weekends of fun and actually spent at lot of time wandering around Alexandria.

But that's a tale for another time...
    :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  17. Belz...

Yes but the flipside is that there is a LOT of people on tuesdays.

One of my favourite movies is Conan the Barbarian (1982), which I have purchased on DVD 12 years ago. I watched it 10 times since then. So I wouln't go see a movie 12 times in the space of a few weeks, anyway.

I have no idea.

Well, yeah. Going to the movies alone is more boring. And to be completely honest, I don't like seeing movies in theatres all that much because it's A) loud B) sometimes in 3D and C) full of people, and I usually don't like being around that many noisy, smelly idiots.

18. Kolinahr

:techman: I agree. That's why I usually go to the early showings, when there's not much popcorn on the floor yet. Also, most people don't drag themselves to the movies at the earlier times. Problem solved for me :) You should try it sometime.

Although I do like going to the movies alone on occasion. Sometimes it's nice not having someone there to judge me and stuff. I tend to silently freak out and grab the arms of a friend who comes with me to the movies.

19. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

Ditto. I don't go to the theater often (too expensive) but when I do the early showings are far superior. Apparently the majority of the moviegoing masses don't like to get up too early to hit a theater.

20. Belz...

Here, early showings apparently means 1pm.