Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When you're streamlining things for mass consumption it just makes more sense for the evil robot to be built by the guy who makes robot suits instead of the guy who shrinks.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

What assholic reasons were these? In the original telling, Pym was one of the good guys, an Avenger in good standing, and Ultron was just an experiment gone wrong.

And IM is the cash cow member of the team, of course he's going to be featured prominently.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

My theory is that Ultron will be a convergence of technologies that achieves sentience and creates itself.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

That guy also built his own robot arm helpers and complex AI JARVIS. ;)

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

OK, I'll be honest. I retract what I said. I'm not sure where I got my information from, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, so forget what I said. :)

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Personally I like MovieBob's pet theory that Ultron will end up being Dummy, not JARVIS. There's way more pathos for a sentient robot arm subjected to a lifetime as Stark's whipping boy than what appears to be a glorified personal organizer/all purpose VUI. :lol:

On a slightly more serious note, I'd be willing to bet that the "creation" of Ultron will be more or less an accidental result of what we saw in Iron Man 3. We already saw the suit acting on Stark's subconscious impulses, so perhaps Ultron will end up being some twisted, AI version of Stark's own psyche. Clu to his Flinn if you will.

So yeah, I agree that on the face of it, Ant-man as the creator lacks a certain agency. Of course that opinion could quickly change after seeing the Ant-man movie...

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And honestly, given how his suits started behaving on their own in IM3 (for instance, when Tony was sleeping), I think the building blocks of Ultron are already there. Ultron is a natural extension of the Iron Man suit and Artificial Intelligence that Stark has already created.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That's more or less what Ultron is. His mind was based on Hank Pym's brainwaves, so having Ultron be some screwed up version of Stark's own mind is the same origin but with a different creator.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Indeed, the Oedipal aspect of Ultron was played up back in the day--wanted to kill his father (Pym) and marry his mother (created Jocasta to be a mate using Jan's brainwaves)...so it would make good story sense for Ultron to have a creator who's a well-established main character. Stark fits the bill perfectly.

Looking at the other half of the Oedipal complex...is Paltrow slated to be in the film...?

10. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Incidentally I watched a cartoon called The Next Avengers which takes place a couple dozen years in the future where Earth is ruled by Ultron and the Avenger's kids have to take him down eventually because most of the originals are dead.
    In that story it actually was a Tony who created Ultron.
    So there would be precedence for this.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That was a surprisingly good movie given that it started kiddie versions of the characters :lol:

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I vaguely remember that one as being one of the few halfway decent Marvel animated films. Weird how Marvel are making the best live action superhero movies while DC is chasing it's own tail just trying to keep up, yet when it comes to animation the tables are completely turned.

Maybe Marvel just needs to hire the likes of Dini & Timm...that or DC needs to get them hired over at WB.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

DC had the edge on Marvel with cartoons because DC had an animation giant like WB backing them up all the way, and a creative genius like Bruce Timm.

Marvel outsourced their cartoons to various different studios, and Avi Arad made them so the shows were mainly merchandise driven.

Arad's out of the way, and Marvel now has a giant like Disney backing them up.

Problem is now Joe Queseda, who likes shows to be more kid friendly.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

DC animated movies were great because they were adaptations of the comics, while the Marvel movies were original stories. Why not do adaptations? Planet Hulk was good.

15. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joe Queseda AND every single person he has to answer to.

Just ask Paul Dini. Times they are a changin'...

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

There is a Planet Hulk adaptation, no?

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's what I'm saying, the Planet Hulk cartoon was good. :)

I was really hoping they would make the sequel; World War Hulk! I'd love to see the Marvel U going to war with the Hulk in animated form!

18. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But why? Planet Hulk was good, but the comics were much better. If they never made an animated Planet Hulk, I wouldn't be missing out on that story.

So why do we need a cartoon version of the next chapter? Isn't that the beauty of these characters, there are unlimited stories to tell that we don't need to adapt stories already created?

After being disappointed by Flashpoint and then reading the series after the fact, I see how much is lost in the translation that I'd rather they didn't make them animated and do something, you know, creative and (at least pretending to be) original.

I'd rather have no clue where a story is going as it unfolds in front of me instead of not being surprised by every twist and turn I already read about.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

An adaptation of a good story is going to be a good movie (presumably).

An original story could easily be terrible.

Adaptations are predictable, but a sure thing.

Plus there's just something really magical about reading a static story/image and seeing it made real. :D

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The Phoenix Saga in "The Last Stand" begs to differ.