Broadcasters' woes could spell trouble for free TV

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by John Picard, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I *need* one, as such, but I don't care. Everyone should have an alarm system, because you never know. If not for burglary, then for FIRE.

And I get a discount on my homeowner's insurance for having an alarm system.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I would have an alarm wherever I live, hell if I lived on a desert island, I would think about installing a make shift security system, just incase.

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

No, I'm talking about the Harmonized Sales Tax; that will make everything more expensive, including DVD's. That's why I said Bisz should be stocking up now, and stocking up fast.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Harmonized Sales Tax". Sounds like the worst barbershop quartet ever. :lol:

5. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Only if DVDs aren't covered by already covered by the combination of the PST and GST.

only items that aren't covered by the combination of the two will go up it will simply mean that when you look at the price on the shelf it will already have the tax included (as is in case of Australian and it's GST) i.e for many things the price won't change for the consumer.

Secondly this will only apply in Ontario and British Columbia where where it is being introduced by the Liberal Govts there but required enabling through federal legislation.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it's called a smoke detector. Its illegal not to have one.

I don't see any reason to invest in a whole security system, though, unless you live in a really bad neighborhood (in which case, I would move).

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Some security systems, though, call the fire department as soon as the system goes off.

8. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

I really hope they stick around. Networks are pretty much the only place you can find decent TV.

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Compared with cable?!? No way! :rommie:

Only good network show I can think of right now: Lost. Maybe also Chuck.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know. My college townhouse was like this. It was annoying as hell because the fire department would show up and make us evacuate the building anytime my roommate accidentally burnt something on the stove and set off the smoke detector.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That would suck!

12. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I had no idea I was supposed to be concerned with any "hassles" the next owner of my house would encounter. Does that mean I should not have replaced my electric store with a gas stove? What about the dryer? I removed the electric and plumbed it for gas as that's my preference.

In 2008(?), AT&T laid off over 1,500 employees because *drumroll* more and more Americans are cutting the cord and no longer using landlines. In 20 years time, a house with a landline will be in the minority and more people will be removing all traces of one from their homes.

Anyway, if the new homeowner wants a landline, then he can have one installed.

Don't see the need for an alarm system. And as for fire -- that's what a smoke detector is for. :rolleyes:

That's the last thing you need. It's best that the structure burn to the ground. Think I'm nuts? Water and smoke damage will be a bitch to repair and will also give the insurance company reasons the screw the homeowner on the claim. If you've ever had to deal with an insurance adjuster on anything you would understand this. I've known people who spent thousands on trying to get rid of smoke damage in a house, and it's something that just never goes away.

13. Michael Chris

Definitely! You got 30 Rock, The Office, Chuck, Glee, 24, Lost, Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, etc. The only things I watch on cable are Psych and Stargate Universe.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Neither has caught my interest of late. The only things I watch with any regularity on broadcast/cable in the last couple of years are NFL broadcasts and ABC's Modern Family. Very little return on a cable bill of $140/month. If I were single I wouldn't have cable TV.

Creatively, television has become a wasteland of bad programming and infomercials.

15. John Picard

QFT.

16. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You're probably lucky becasue you live in a city or metropolitan area and can get good reception on all channels.

I'm 120Km out of Toronto and the only two watchable channels are the local CBC affliate and Global out of Toronto.

So with out cable or satelite we wouldn't even have networks (CBC, Global, CTV or A) to watch.

17. Michael Chris

True, plus the transmitters are all atop a 10,000ft mountain on the edge of town, and there are no other obstructions around other than buildings and trees. That said, I think most of the (US) population can get the networks over the air.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

24 should probably pack it in this season, that premise has been milked for all it's worth. Maybe The Office is good, I've never checked it out, but overall your list is pretty paltry compared with Dexter, Big Love, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Sons of Anarchy.

Although I commend you for being able to tolerate SG:U. :rommie:

19. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

No love for House:(

20. John Picard