AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless we get us a grey-skinned mobster Hulk, as in David's run.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

My idea for a Hulk film is this:

In the aftermath of The Avengers Bruce Banner is finally free to return to a normal life. Bruce tries to reestablish his relationship with Betty, his career as a research scientist and his friendship with young lab assistant Rick Jones.

General Ross-embittered by losing out on the Hulk bio-tech to S.H.I.E.L.D-turns to Samuel Sterns for help. Soon after a Hulk-like monster is attacking S.H.I.E.L.D facilities and the hunt for Dr. Banner is back on, with Ross leading the charge.

In a battle with Ross' forces Betty is mortally injured and Bruce manages to save her life with a blood transfusion which has the side-effect of transforming her into the She Hulk. The two of them on the run engage in a whirlwind Hulk romance which is put to the test when it is revealed that the Hulk attacking the S.H.I.E.L.D. facilities is in fact Ross himself as the Red Hulk. Hulk is forced to evolve into a more intelligent, cunning, Joe Fixit style Hulk to outthink Ross in battle.

Naturally Hulk and Betty Shulk knock Ross into next week and we're left with Samuel Sterns deciding: "If you want it done right, you've got to do it yourself." That would lead into Hulk 3 or maybe an Avengers sequel.

Just a thought...

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    I like the thought you've put into the blueprint for a new solo Hulk film spinning out of Avengers!!

As we await the actuals for this weekend that are calling for a 3-day total around $204-207m there is this news from Canada.

Avengers debuts with record $15.5m opening weekend in Canada.

4. Admiral James Kirk

Thank you. :)

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That actually sounds pretty awesome-- if only for the visual of 3 Hulks on screen at the same time.

Unfortunately I doubt we would get anything half as cool as that.

6. Admiral James Kirk

I assume we'll just get The Leader in Hulk 2.

7. Saw it this weekend, enjoyed it immensely. It was a very funny movie, and I particularly liked the character interplay. The final battle in NYC was cool though it dragged a little at times. loved Hulk punching Thor and throwing Loki around like a rag doll.

I do think people are overrating it just a tad, I think a year from now on DVD, it's not going to feel quite as substantial. I think it's telling that people have to qualify their praise by referring to it as a "comic book movie". That's always been the problem, the sort of lightweight expectations and delivery of Marvel movies. IM2, Thor, and Captain America are all fun entertaining movies, that I kind of forgot about 5 minutes after they were over. Avengers bucks the trend somewhat by actually feeling a little weighty, but the story is kinda bleh. It's so funny and has that newness of seeing several heroes onscreen together than it's still electrifying.

Solid flick.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Only that it's light-years better than Eric Bana's Banner/Hulk. Everybody's right that the depiction of Hulk in Avengers is the best of the lot.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the thing's set all kinds of records. It'll be nice if this gives Whedon some pull in the business in general, but with this kind of genre movie/franchise that's hard to predict.

10. davejames

No it's not the most substantial story, but it is really well constructed with tons of great moments and action, and there's no long origin story to sit through unlike the other movies. So I expect it will be plenty rewatchable.

Personally I don't think I'll EVER get tired of watching those Iron Man/Thor or Hulk/Thor battles.

11. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

The Thor/Hulk Rumble on top of the snake thing capped off by the Hulk punch to Thor was one of the best 1 minute scenes I've seen in quite some time.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This figure seems to be about nailed down.

North American 3-day OW release of $207.1 million. Records shattered.
    Scan The Avengers page at BoxOfficeMojo.com and look at all the 1st established with more to records likely to be set.
    Single Saturday gross
    Single Sunday gross
    Opening Weekend
    Fastest to $100m
    Fastest to $150m
    Fastest to $200m

I'd wager Avengers 2 will add Single Friday and Midnights to it's list of 1sts

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Seen it three times now. All of the other movies that I've ever seen in the theater that many times have all had the words "Star" and "Wars" in the title. :lol:

Edgar Wright has released what I am sure was a very stratigically timed teaser image for Ant-Man.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  14. Admiral James Kirk

I have the feeling Scott Lang will be joining S.H.I.E.L.D. for Avengers 2, should Wright get this movie out anytime soon.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Spider-man's costume was conceptually faithful yet certainly wasn't strictly what was seen in the comics. He also had organic web spinners rather than mechanical ones. I didn't have a problem with either because they got all the other important stuff right.

Loki's helmet just looked odd. Maybe when I see it again I won't think so. Maybe.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It's the horns, they looked ridiculous in Thor, moreso in this one for some reason. Mainly being metal I keep expecting him to tip forward all the time.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A novel of a comic is the weirdest thing in the world

19. davejames

You know I gotta say, as generic and unmemorable as the rest of the score is, the actual Avenger's Theme is pretty damn great.

I just wish the rest of the score was as good.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHLEOg5RPo[/yt]