How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Ted isn't actually the father of the kids. ;)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's kidnapped them and they're chained to the wall in the basement where they have been for the last 7 years listening to this story in real time?

If they break character or age naturally, they get the hose.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the suggestion of several women Ted meets.

Problem is, that they already narrowed it down to one of the musicians...

So, what? Ted dates a whole female orchestra and we won`t find out which one owns the yellow umbrella until later?

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Conductors work their way through their Orchestra all the time, why can't the orchestra work it's way through Ted?

Besides remember how over the top they were about having a threesome FIRST?

At their age and they haven't had group sex yet?

Ridiculous.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the bass guitar player! Unless Barney has a group of bass guitar players at his wedding...

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We also know she was at the train station with Ted, as per the Season Premiere. Thematically, it would be nice for the Season Finale to be Robin's wedding/almost wedding and end with the scene from the premiere. Next season could pick up from there and tell the story of Ted courting the mother, with the requisite break-up for the mid-season/Christmas Break point, and then have the second half of the season showing Ted trying to get back in her good graces.

It would almost be like a show about a ship flung into a faraway quadrant of space, trying to find its way back to Earth ending like, "Oh, look, there Earrth is, and The End." :devil:

7. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You think?
    Sounds more like a show about a superpowered guy angsting around for 10 years and then putting on a red/blue suit and flies away. The End.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Farhampton, it is shown that while Ted is waiting for the train back to the city at the Farhampton train station, after Barney and Robin's wedding, the mother also comes there, holding up her yellow umbrella in the rain. Craig Thomas confirmed in an interview that this is the place where Ted and the mother finally meet. http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/tv/tvguide/article/How-I-Met-Your-Mother-Boss-on-Premiere-s-Big-3891090.php

No more trickery apparently. They ought to introduce her this finale.

9. shivkala

Either way, the payoff for an entire show never fully happens.

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Either way, the payoff for an entire show never fully happens.[/QUOTE]
    Futurama does a pretty good job at continuity and payoff. There are numerous examples of things that occurred in past episodes, that if you go back and check you can see the foreshadowing. For example, Nibbler being the cause of Fry freezing himself in the first place. If you go back and watch the pilot, you can see Nibbler's shadow under the desk.

11. shivkala

^
    I was referring to the Voyager/Smallville methods of taking what everyone has been waiting for and fading to black just as it happens in the finale.

I'm not saying all shows don't pay-off. In fact, especially earlier in its run, HIMYM did a good job with paying off on previously mentioned things and/or call-backs (the goat, Halloween, interventions, etc.).

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Ted meets the Mother in four months! How are they going to sqeeze another season of the show in? The obvious choice would be to show the first year of their lives up til their wedding day, but I still have this feeling that Ted meeting the Mother won't happen until the last episode.

This was a really good episode. Lily was actually interesting for the first time since she and Marshall got married. It struck me that the entire show makes more sense as things proceed. Ted started the story of how he met the Mother by going all the way back to the day he met his first major love, the woman whom he would eventually have to give up and at whose wedding he would met his wife.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hooray! They set it in stone! We HAVE to meet the Mother in THIS season finale! Therefore she has to be a regular character in the final season! Squee!

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I was happy to see that the wedding is four months from now too. That really throws things. I hope that they use this and don't try to squeeze the next four months into the next season and a half.

15. tighr

Rachel Bilson!

And based on physically seeing Robin dance with her dad at the wedding, the odds of Robin and Barney not going through with it have diminished. Obviously, there is still the possibility of that curveball, but the odds are extremely lowered.

Maybe it was because of the engagement episode, but I was really hoping that the reason for Robin's dad being all weird was going to ultimately be another one of Barney's long con's. In the end, we would find out that Barney had already gotten her dad's permission, and it was an elaborate setup. But, the ending they decided to go with was much better: Robin getting the first ever apology from her father in her entire life, and it was because Barney was able to get him to do it for her.

16. shivkala

Signs the show has gone on too long, I had no idea who Ted was talking to on the subway and thought, for a few minutes, that Ted meeting her and finding out she was a lesbian would happen between now and May. I know better now and vaguely remember Cindy and the reveal that she's a lesbian, but what used to be an aspect I liked about the show (the continuity) now runs the risk of making it harder to follow.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Random thought:

Lyndsy Fonseca as the mother?

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

That might be one of those things that works better on paper.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hmm, well she is 26, and we know the Mother was in Ted's college class mishap a couple years ago...

20. tighr

That would be super creepy weird.