DS9 Meets Moonlighting

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Jul 10, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I enjoyed this - thanks for posting it. And I only wish I could say I'm too young to remember Moonlighting. I loved it but I haven't thought of it in decades!

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I love these "shows done X style" openings when they're done well.

And this was. :)

4. Shadowboro

Shadowboro Ensign Newbie

I love "Moonlighting", it's one of my favorite shows. The on-screen chemistry between Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepard is one of the best in the history of television.

What's funny is that a lot of actors who have guest starred on DS9 have also guest starred on "Moonlighting" : James Sloyan (who plays Dr. Mora on DS9), Richard Beymer (Li Nalas on DS9), Brian Thompson (Inglatu / Toman'torax on DS9), Colm Meaney (chief O'Brien); the show also featured other Trek actors as well like Whoopi Goldberg and Brad Dourif.

But the most memorable Trek guest star on Moonlighting is - not surprisingly - Andrew Robinson (Garak). Even though you never see his face during the whole episode he still delivers a memorable performance (even though the script for that episode was mediocre). Here is a clip of his performance:

http://youtu.be/nFB6tfoyVs8

Colm Meaney's short part in the episode "Atomic Shakespeare" (best Shakespeare parody ever IMO) is also quite funny; he gets chased around by Cybil Shepard and gets smaked into a water fountain. Here's the link (check around 04:40) :

http://youtu.be/KJ7KhhyMXB4?t=4m40s

As for the video dub posted, I love it and obviously a lot of work went into editing it. I also love the BSG and Dallas DS9 openings.

P.S. : I've always wanted Bruce Willis to guest star on a Star Trek show (though I always knew it wouldn't happen especially since he said he hates doing television and never did much guest starring after "Moonlighting"). Since he lost his hair he'd be a natural for playing a bolian. But 80's Bruce Willis, with hair and a decent script at his disposal could make even Okona seem charismatic and interesting.

5. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice job and a great soundtrack!

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Leave it to me to find a hair in the soup, but I didn't really think this was done well at all. If the goal was to emulate the opening sequence of Moonlighting, one could have done a better job. For one, this thing is much too long. I get that this is the full theme song, but it doesn't scream TV opening theme to me, when the whole thing is over three minutes long. Then I found the choice of images questionable. In the original, we're mostly seeing establishing shots and scenic imagery sans characters mixed with images of the character whose credit is about to show up. Here we have just a random mixture of "favorite scenes" interspersed with a seemingly random listing of the credits.

I get that this is just made for fun. But at the same time I'm sure this could be done a million times better. Sorry.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Starring Avery Brooks, then Also Starring everyone else in alphabetical order.

8. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, wow, wow! Thanks for this post, Shadowboro! I was a fan of Moonlighting growing up (I wanted to be David Addison when most of my friends wanted to be He-Man), and I have the DVD sets which I have enjoyed in the past few years, but I became a fan of DS9 only last year...so now, I need to go back and re-watch to enjoy those guest appearances! Thank you! I was aware of Whoopi and Colm since I knew them already from TNG, but I wasn't aware of most of the others. A re-watch is in order!

You know, call me crazy, but there were moments throughout DS9 when Bashir reminded me of David Addison! They were few and far between, but they were there!

The less seriously you take the video I made, the better! ;)