Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Relayer1, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?

1. I'll get both

10 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4)

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  3. Staying with Xbox (360 to One)

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4)

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  5. Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that they've warned people that they would get banned for cussing via Kinect. I think it might of been mentioned in this thread

It's true. They have a patent that would technically allow them to prevent more than the allowed number of people watching a movie. Here's an article that refers to it. It's an older article, yet it's likely more relevant now given the new Kinect's features:

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

The important part:

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

From the patent itself, the relevant part I believe:

So let's say it works, because God knows that something like this is going to wonderfully difficult, how is MS going to charge these licenses then? You see, I don't know how this would work. I really don't, does this mean I can't watch a movie with four people in the same room or that I can't share the movie via the cloud with four people? Without the information necessary to understand what really is going to happen with digital distributed media, we are left in the dark with Microsoft!

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see that Microsoft's stellar marketing blitz (to apparently try and ensure the failure of their product and the permanent tarnishing of their brand) is still continuing unabated. :rolleyes: Whatever next? No toilet breaks lest you incur the wrath of the almighty Kinnect? :wtf:

PLAYER: This is a great game, but I need a dump.

KINNECT: No one said you could leave the room!

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Difference doesn't always lead to improvement though. Change that makes things better is a good thing, change for the sake of change is a waste of resources.

But if you're looking for a family entertainment system you don't buy a car, even if that car has entertainment features. You buy a car because you want a car, the entertainment stuff is just a bonus. The same holds true for games consoles, people buy them because they're looking for something to play games on, the media functionality is something extra. Not many non-gamers were going to purchase an Xbox One for its media functionality, but that seems to have been MS's strategy in the beginning.

I guess this might be a preference thing. I prefer wands, wands have buttons, and buttons are irreplaceable for most games.

Kinect, theoretically, would be way, way more valuable to advertisers than tracking cookies. A tracking cookie can't monitor a users emotional state or heart rate while viewing content, the new Kinect supposedly can. Trackers can't monitor your eyeballs to determine whether an ad attracts the user's attention or not, while Kinect supposedly can. Trackers can't tell how many people are in the room, nor hear and analyse what they're talking about, while Kinect can. Advertisers would love to have access to the data from such a device.

I've already said that I don't believe MS would bother to actually watch its users using the camera. But the Kinect is not a normal camera, and unless you have a really expensive webcam the two things don't compare. Kinect doesn't just capture images, it analyses them and can determine mood and behaviour. I've already provided a short list of ways in which MS could use this to collect reams of data to sell to advertisers, so there is a potential motive for why for why they would.

I still don't actually believe they would, it would be a legal and PR minefield. But it's definitely something I can understand being wary of.

MS have said they have no intention of implementing such a system, and tech companies patent things like this all the time so as to prevent their rivals from patenting it first. But it is an example of how Kinect could be abused in the future, theoretically.

One thing holding MS back would be that the Kinect still isn't good enough to determine how many people are in a room or not. This segment of the Giant Bomb livestream last week is telling as the Kinect mistook a lamp for a person. I'd hate to have to pay more to watch a movie because of my lamp. ;)

If you haven't seen it, try viewing an episode of Black Mirror called 15 Million Merits. It's set in a dystopian future where everyone lives in a room surrounded by screens while monitored by cameras at all times. If a person closes their eyes or refuses to look at an ad, an alarm goes off until they resume watching. The episode was inspired by Kinect and the creeping gamification of society.

5. Owain Taggart

The only people that know for sure would be those at Microsoft. But the way I understood it was that when you rent a digitally downloaded movie, it would have an allowed number people in the license, so let's say for example, it allowed 4 people. Then a buddy drops by, and then suddenly you have 5 in the room together which the Kinect can see and says: "Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that!", stopping the movie.

So, MS has no intention of using it now, but the scary part is that it's been thought about at all. That's pretty draconian.

You know, putting it that way, it sounds like the Nielsens would love it for being able to track people's reactions when watching TV. Would be a very valuable vector of information. Imagine if this version of Kinect were available during last season's Game of Thrones' Red Wedding? Also useful during sweeps weeks and season/series finales.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. Kruezerman

We won't know until we see it actually happen. Maybe it's my optimism but I doubt that it would happen how you would describe.

7. Owain Taggart

Yeah, in fact, they might never end up using that, but it's the fact that it was even thought about and patented that makes it a scary proposition.

8. Kruezerman

The US, British, French, Russian, Chinese governments, et al. contemplated thermonuclear war and have the ability. They are now working to limit and eventually destroy that ability. Now obviously this is a dramatic comparison but it shows that just because somebody can have the ability to do something, and even planned it out, doesn't mean they will.

9. Owain Taggart

Oh definitely, I agree on that point. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. Sometimes ideas are simply just that.

10. Kruezerman

Now to convince the rest of the internet.

Advocating patience and pragmatism to these people is like trying to fly a jet through jelly.

11. soapp

soapp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Where's the option for None of the above?

Pay to play... no thanks, sticking with PC gaming.

I never was much of a console gamer, but the invasion of privacy and none backwards compatible and a bunch of other things just don't make them interesting to me.

But I'd love to get the "Xbox one not the first one but the third one" for the watching TV achievement! I mean I really need to have that! (sarcasm anyone?)

If other people like the consoles that's perfectly fine, won't rage... but I don't want them myself.

like when everyone kept buying Red Rings of Death machines... enjoy, I'll pass.

12. TheGodBen

Hey, I only bought 2! :alienblush:

I'm a PC and console gamer, but consoles are just easier. My PC has had two HDDs crap out on it. My graphics card encountered a weird bug where it randomly stopped working with my monitor. My replacement graphics card had a persistent bug for years where it would cut out for a second every couple of minutes, something I only managed to fix by underclocking it just slightly. My DVD drive no longer works, but I haven't bothered to replace it as I don't use DVDs much any more. My monitor just stopped working one day and needed replacement. I had to pay to upgrade my OS to Windows 7, then reinstall from scratch. Earlier this year, my CPU began to overheat and I had to clean out the heat sink and apply new thermal compound. I also can't be sure that the latest games will run on my PC and I sometimes resort to pirating them to check before purchasing.

But when I buy a console game there's very little hassle, I put in the disc and it works. There's no system requirements to check, there's no messing around in graphics settings, there's no compatibility issues with controller support. The games don't look as good and there's less variety, but sometimes that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

I love my PC, it's the only platform on which to play proper strategy and simulation games, and it's home to a lot of unique indie games that just wouldn't be made for consoles. I don't foresee myself ever not being a PC gamer. But I'm also a console gamer, and I don't foresee myself giving that up either.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. It's why I like this. ;)

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't like consoles, PCs, or handhelds. I like games. I find games that I want to play and then I buy the required systems to play those games. The idea of identifying yourself as a *insert system here* gamer is baffling to me.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

About the only drawback games wise is that they lack good strategy games.. the only one i know of and play regularly is XCom and it works because it's turn based.

So far every RTS type strategy game really sucked and the PC still rules that genre (even if it lost much of its market share in recent years).

But action games of any kind are just far more comfortable on a console and as has already been said much less hassle.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't like PC gaming because I don't like sitting at a desk when I'm playing a game. I don't like XBOX because I think the controller is an awkward shape.

Therefore, I am a Playstation gamer.

17. TheGodBen

That's how I feel too. For action games, I just want to slump in my chair with my feet up, staring at a big screen, while my hands are using a controller. For strategy and simulation games, I want to sit up straight at my desk and keep a close eye on everything. I know I could technically do both with my PC, but it's just easier to to have a PC and a console.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't stand first person shooters on consoles though. Mouse and keyboard is far more efficient there.

And I would play games like GTA V on a console if I didn't know how much the graphics sucked on the PS3 compared to a current PC.

Good thing I haven't seen one of the Assassin's Creeds on PC. And I better never take a look at it.

19. TheGodBen

But GTA5 shows yet another advantage of consoles; the best-selling game this year, and one of the best-selling of all time, isn't out on PC yet. It's pretty common for PC versions of games to come out weeks or months later than the console versions, and they're also typically ports that are unoptimised and buggier than the console versions. So yes, when the PC version of GTA5 comes out it will look much better, but it's late and you're going to need a beefy machine to run it (if it's anything like the GTA4 PC port).

The console versions don't look as nice, but console games typically receive more attention from developers and come out sooner. It's a trade-off that I'm willing to make for many games.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The wait doesn't really bother me, because I usually wait a year before I buy a game, no matter if console or PC. I saved 100-120 bucks on Assassin's Creed 3 that way, and I got the complete and patched game at once.