Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Feige-Oh save us Mr King-of-compelling TV and Spielberg's successor!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...in-the-armor-tonys-new-friend-and-more?page=2

J.J Abrams- Defender of Trek, savior of "Wars" and the American way

*Gushing*
    Gee is there nothing he can't do?

Maybe Chris Nolan was busy that week ;)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was kind of unexpected. I wonder if this means we can expect to see him do a Marvel movie too?
    As for the trailer, I thought it was awesome. IMO one of the best trailers I've seen for a movie coming out this year.

3. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there goes my enthusiasm. Thanks Abrams.

Half-joking, though given Abrams inability to mature past the "Gee whiz, MACGUFFINS!" phase of writing, I suspect he might have helped with some part of Extremis in the last act of the film.

This is not a good omen.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

If rumors are true the ending will pull the same thing the Avengers and "The Phantom Menace" did

Bethany Cabe shuts down the extermis virus. All the Iron Man drones just shutdown.

Hopefully Marvel won't pull the same anticlimactic trick out of their hat.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^
    Wait...

...Bethany Cabe is in this movie? There were rumors that Kate Mara's brief role in IM2 was going to be Bethany, but that obviously wasn't the case. Or did you mean Pepper?

6. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be honest, that's probably closer to the mark than we'd like to think. There's no way they'd let IM turn into Iron Legion in the next Avengers.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine that wouldn't be THE ending but rather part of the ending that allows your traditional one-on-one fight to happen.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Awesome trailer.. Marvel really knows how to sell their movies.

Since i already know about the Extremis plot and the multiple armors this is the first time that i see them in action and it's brilliant. Loved the Hulkbuster style armor (if it's indeed a Hulkbuster as opposed to a generic heavy duty combat design) and all the others.. since they began releasing specialized armors in the comics i've always been a fan of them.

Downey Jr. seems to be at the top of the game again, Special Effects are state of the art (of course) but it also seems there will still be a human component to the movie.

The only thing that's bothering me a bit is The Mandarin. In this trailer he comes off as very cheesy (especially with the delivery of that one line) and i fear we may get another rather weak/cheesy villain.

I loved the more recent iteration of the Mandarin in the comics (when i happened to grab one a while ago) that had the Mandarin as more of the chinese counterpart of Stark.. business suit and all that. Hammer in Iron Man 2 could have been that but they wrote him as a buffon so there's that.

Kingsley is an amazing and capable actor so i hope they've written a good role for him.

Additionally i wonder if they will use this movie to start up the alcoholism character aspect of Stark. It seems he's really torn up mentally after the Avengers movie and he always was quite the drink guy in the movies so it would be a good opportunity to lay the groundwork of Iron Man 4 if it will happen (and i guess it will even if Downey gets sick of the role which he's not even hinted at.. he seems to enjoy Tony Stark).

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The trailer does indeed feel epic. Nearly on scale with The Avengers.

With all those suits of armor and him talking of "protecting the one thing he can't live without" plus Pepper seemingly in the thick of action it would make sense that there is a Rescue armor for her.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. I know it's an iconic part of the comics, but I think it's probably TOO serious a topic for a big budget superhero movie to tackle.

Audiences still want to laugh and have fun with this character, and it'll be kind of hard to do that if he's a sad and pathetic drunk lying to everyone around him like Denzel Washington's character in Flight.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's possible to have it be a demon he overcomes. Still relatively faithful to the comics without bogging down his character.

12. James T. Vader

James T. Vader Lieutenant

Yea my wife, who LOVES the first Iron Man, HATED IM2 just because of the way tony acted when dealing wiht the paladium poisoning and being the drunk jerk at his birthday party.

13. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

It probably isn't the case, but the plot seems to be pretty clear from the trailers - Tony's bent out of shape, The Mandarin starts making terrorist attacks, catches Tony with his guard down, beats up on Tony, Tony goes into hiding and creates his Iron Man army, Iron Man army beats The Mandarin.

It probably won't shake down like that as why in the heck would you give away everything in your trailers, but the overall arc seems to be there.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

But given that it's a hero movie the script will surely call for Tony to get rid of it(sober up/realize his mistake just in time to win the final battle.

Now i don't expect a hardcore treatise on alcoholism ala Leaving Las Vegas but it would be a good way to "burden" Tony with another obstacle to overcome. Of course that depends on how IM3 plays out and if Tony overcomes his anxiety and mental problems (which i guess he will).

Still would be a fine nod to the comics and a good way to show that our hero can overcome any obstacle (and i found drunk Tony Stark hilarious.. the guy is a party animal when he's sober so imagine him drunk :lol:).

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The other day they showed some members of the press 20 minutes of footage, followed by interviews with Shane Black, RDJ, and Kevin Feige. IGN article.
    The most interesting tidbits:
    When the attack begins Tony uses a new device to summon the armor, but then puts it on Pepper.
    Maya Hansen is at the house during the attack.
    Aldrich Kilian works for the Mandarin, who makes Bin Landen style taped speeches.
    Feige and Black also talked a bit about the Mandarin's back story:

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    Less than two months to go now.....must....resist....any more spoilers!! :)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it helps it isn't anything to big, I just figured anything thing not revealed in the posters or trailers could be considered a spoiler.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh? That's what makes Iron Man different from all the other superheroes. He's a self-destructive egomaniacal fuckup who also happens to be a charismatic hero. Takes a particular type of actor to pull off a role like that and not alienate the audience, but they got an actor like that, why waste him on a vanilla role? Tell Padme she's missing the whole point of the character.

19. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I caught the Lethal Weapon 2 vibe as well. :bolian: It would be even more obvious if, in one scene, Rhodie is nearly killed by a bomb attached to his toilet. But something tells me that wouldn't mesh with the dark tone they seem to be going for here.

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that was already started up by the other films, IM 2 specifically. For some reason I think they're probably moving on from it by this point.