Enterprise-D vs. Voyager (extenuating circumstances)

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain McBain, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy Commander Red Shirt

In that video, at 2:11 is where I took the snap shot. Voyager is parallel with the cube, not in front of it, my bad. But it certainly is not behind the cube.

As for having a non-canon reference, sure, I'd like to see it.
    Thus far, you're the only person claiming the class 4 tactical cube is under powered compared to a regular cube.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^the video posted by T'Girl supports her comments regarding the length of the tactical cube. The best shot is at 2:09 and 2:10 by looking at the phaser switch, just as it passes the corner of the cube. I'm with her

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So basically Voyager is screwed.

Figured that was how it was going to end.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard got his crew back from The Triangulum Galaxy in 45 minutes, it took Janeway seven years to cover far less distance - what more needs to be said?

Voyager would be space-dust after a 15 minute section in the middle where Will performs 'The Riker manoeuvre' on Seven while Chatoky stands in the corner and has a face similar to a man having a prostate exam.

5. Finn

^No, Picard didn't. The Traveler did....

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

WHOOOOOOOOSH! :guffaw:

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Voyager has "transphasic warp" (or whatever the correct term is). The Enterprise would be in fruitless pursuit, taking hit after hit of aft torpedo launches from Voyager. ;)

Remember, we've seen the Enterprise trounced by Romulan and/or Klingon warships. We've seen both brought to near destruction by more powerful ships from other alien races. There's no tightly cohesive specification mapped out for how powerful each of these ships are. It all rests upon the story, in each series. As such, it could be written either way with Voyager or Enterprise winning... it all depends upon the context. :)

8. Hartzilla2007

So basically Picard got the alien that sent his ship to another galaxy to send them home while Janeway couldn't in her situation.

Picard 1, Janeway 0

Seeing as TNG is more popular than VOY I would fully expect the writers to have The Enterprise-D win after all being the big guns of the 24th century has its advantages.

9. Finn

Because the traveler didn't drop in to see Janeway. Besides, traveler had the ability to warp space, so it has nothing to do with the Enterprise D's ability to travel. That's my point. It would be meaningless in a situation where the E-D and Voyager faced off together.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't that basically a fictional device that the Doctor just "made-up" while have a conversation with Chakotay?

No, but Q did "drop in," and at one point was offering to send Voyager home.

Sometimes it isn't the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

The Enterprise's commander saw an opportunity to save their crew, and was willing to exploit it, Voyager's commander wasn't.

IMPROVISE - OVERCOME - ADAPT

:)

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The alien in VOY was the caretaker, I think what he meant when faced with a situation in which an alien transported the ship across the galaxy/galaxies. Picard was able tp get the traveller to return them home, whilst Janeway was unable to do the same task with the caretaker.

Yes and I know the situations had other diffeences

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Janeway was unwilling to even try. She refused to look into the possibility of employing the Caretaker array to send the Voyager on a return trip. If it looked like Janeway were about to lose the array to the Kazon, she always could have destroyed the array at that time.

She wouldn't even attempt an investigation.

Picard would have done more, and with the Enterprise Dee to back him up would have a increased chance of learning the array's secrets. The saucer could have been parked next to the array, while the drive section flew a defensive patrol.

The Enterprise would have had Data and LaForge to examine the array. Janeway had no Chief Engineer at that time, and the head scientist was apparently Ensign Wildman. Janeway couldn't have spared herself for the actual examination, her place was on the bridge.

:):):)

13. Vito Corleone

Vito Corleone Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm going to have to side with the Enterprise here. She has more firepower and can separate into two different vessels, giving poor Voyager two enemies instead of one. All things being equal, Voyager has no chance.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid you are mis-remembering "Unimatrix Zero." In "Part I," Voyager gets her ass handed to her by Tactical Cube 138 and only survives by warping away -- which was fine, since the plan was to take some damage and then warp out as a distraction for the team from the Delta Flyer beaming aboard. But they certainly didn't win that battle. In "Part II," Voyager fares a little better against 138, as she's aided by a Borg sphere that's been hijacked by liberated drones from Unimatrix Zero, but she still only survives because the Borg Queen initiates a self-destruct sequence for Tactical Cube 138 as an attempt to kill Janeway while she's aboard.

ETA:

To be even more specific, Mister Offenhouse compares the Enterprise-D unfavorably to the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, which was an ocean liner rather than a cruise liner. (Ocean liners are built tougher to withstand constant travel on high seas running regular trans-oceanic routes; cruise ships aren't as tough, and are built for shallower and less harrowing waters, for cruises rather than regular trans-oceanic routes. Think the difference between a pick-up truck and a luxury car.)

15. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

According to memory alpha, firepower is comparable between the two vessels. Furthermore the Intrepid class seems to be faster and possibly more maneuverable. Lastly the Galaxy class separating into two vessels isn't necessarily a prime tactical decision since the saucer has no warp propulsion and limited weapons systems. As I understand it the Intrepid also has a better sensor system than most other vessels, although it is not proven if it is better than the galaxy class. My guess is that in all out battle between the two ships, the power generation of the Galaxy may produce enough output to eventually overtake the Intrepid, while the Intrepid would probebly be more effective in Sweeping or Hit and Run attacks...again just my opinion.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know I suspect that a Galaxy Class vessel that was consturcted in 2371 and an Intrpeid Class that was constructed in 2371 would have identical sensors.

17. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

My memory of Voyager episode details is admittedly sparse, as it wasn't my favorite series of the franchise. It wasn't transphasic warp, but quantum slipstream drive. This was technology gained from Arturis in "Hope and Fear".

18. mtblillie

Theoretically, though not necessarily. And we are not speaking of any Galaxy class, we are speaking of the Enterprise.

Personally I choose the Enterprise, but honestly I cannot come up with a specific reason why.

19. Hartzilla2007

And they weren't able to get it to work so the scraped it.

And seeing as its the flagship they would probably have their sensors upgraded. They don't just build the ship and keep its tech the same despite advances in technology.

Probably because its the fracking Enterprise.

20. mtblillie

:techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.