So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find myself reading so much at once it's not even funny. I know some here like to gobble up as many books as they can at a go, but I've always been the one-at-a-time type (occasionally two at a a time). And right now I've got: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (a re-read); Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens; The Complete Terry And The Pirates, Vol. 4 by Milton Caniff; and a manuscript science fiction novel written by a friend. All of this and reading the Bible in a year as the cherry on top. :)

And catching up on the last few pages of this thread makes me remember how far behind I am in my TrekLit. Almost one of those projects you don't want to start because of how big it is, but you know if you leave it much longer it will only get bigger. <shudder>

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading:

Captive of the Desert King by Donna Young....

3. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading the second book in the Forest of Hands and Teeth series by Carrie Ryan. :D

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Just started reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone in Russian. Fun way to brush up on my very rusty Russian and get a HP fix.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^So in Russian is it Philosopher's or Sorceror's? I doubt the words translate the same way...

6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^They don't, and it's Philosopher's, thank goodness. The change to Sorcerer's for the US edition is one of my pet peeves about the series.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

On the suggestion of a friend, I'm currently reading through Horus Rising from the Warhammer catalogue. It's fairly interesting, if the Universe-specific terminology has a steep learning curve for someone who isn't totally immersed in that universe.

As soon as I finish this one I'm moving on to the third Mission Gamma novel, Cathedral and then Genesis Wave, Book 3. (I am hoping to alternate DS9 and TNG books so once I finish Unity, I'll be up to the A Time To... novels.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Stargate SG-1: Sunrise (bleh) last night, and started on Starfleet Academy: The Edge.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

About half way through Gemworld II - it's taken me about a year off and on to get this far through them both, but going to finish them this time.

Not awful, but not really that interesting...

10. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Finished Spirit Walk: Old Wounds yesterday and made a start on Resistance today as part of a 25th Anniversary run through of the TNG Relaunch novels. About 40% through so far and I wish that Lio Battaglia and Sara Nave's characters were replaced by Jim Peart and Kell Perim from the A Time to... series. I know they left at the end of A Time to Heal, but their deaths would have had more impact. Oh well.

11. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How did you like the Spirit Walk duology?

Edit: Whoops, Old Wounds is only the first part.

12. bok2384

That's fine, Sho, I'm rereading the novels anyway so I'm aware of any plot points. :)

Just my basic thoughts on the first novel, but I actually enjoyed more this time than I did the last. When reading in 2005 I remember the scenes on Boreth going on forever and ever and boring me to tears, but they weren't a large part of the story than I initially thought.

Of course, the biggest difference this time out was that I was more invested in the Chakotay and Kaz stories. With Chakotay especially, I believe my interest stems with the excellent work done on the character by Kirsten Beyer's later novels, seeing him not as a dull character who served as Janeway's yes man. I lapped up the stuff dealing with his sister's experiences on Dorvan V and the fears of the colonists as they approached Loran II.

Basically, a long-winded way of saying that I enjoyed the first novel and look forward to picking up Enemy of My Enemy when I'm finished with Resistance.

13. Sho

Thanks :). I've heard a lot of bad things about Spirit Walk (though some good things as well), and since I've yet to read them myself another viewpoint is always interesting.

14. bok2384

Well, my advice would be to just go for it and see if your opinion matches up with general consensus or not. Interestingly, I'm finding with the rereading of books lately that my opinions have changed since I've last read them.

Actually, I've often used fan rumblings/praisings of certain novels to tip me off to read them to see if I share their opinion. I tried it with the TNG novel, Balance of Power, last year and, although it wasn't the greatest Trek novel ever written, if you ignore the inconsistencies and just buckle up, you have a rather amusing adventure that doesn't make much sense.

I suppose that's why I love Doctor Who so much as well. :D

15. Sho

Oh I'm definitely going to read them, my completionist impulse is too strong to just start at Kirsten Beyer's books, I'll need to start at the beginning of the Voyager relaunch :). I was just dreading those two a bit.

16. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Next in my reading pile:

*Red Harvest Joe Schreiber

Currently reading, somewhat reluctantly for class purposes, pages from:

*The World is a Ghetto by Howard Winant

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wrote a review for Gateways #3: Doors Into Chaos by Robert Greenberger. Read #4: Demons of Air and Darkness by Keith R.A. DeCandido, and started on #5: No Man's Land by Christie Golden!

18. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I've read a fair few things since I posted last in the last thread.

But the most recent thing I've read was Star Trek Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock.

Overall I thought it was okay, it wasn't the bestest ever novel like some people think it is mind, but it was an enjoyable read and even though I had a few problems with the novel: the abundance of Quantum Theory which I couldn't fully get my head around being the main one. I though it was his best full novel since The Buried Age.

I did like the concept of the Axis of Time and the cameos from a few Trek Alumni like Janeway and some of the crew of Titan and Enterprise were done well. I did really like the wrapping up the Temporal Cold War, it just felt rushed and could have done with being drawn out a bit more.

When it's out in a few months, I'll certainly be getting Forgotten History.

19. bok2384

Finished Resistance last night. A great novel, far better than I remembered actually, which is a good thing. A couple of niggles, but that's the way I like it.

Next up, Spirit Walk: Enemy of My Enemy.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished reading March to the Stars and We Few. I'm now reading Star Trek: Rings of Time.