Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by superdeluxe, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

For some reason my SmartTV Vudu app thinks the VM movie is the only one of my UV movies I don't own. It only had the option to rent even though it's in my library. I watched a few snippets on my phone but that was it. Probably a good thing - I would've likely watched the whole thing.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So I just started the first season today (I just finished episode 3 as of typing this).

I'm pretty set on seeing the movie tomorrow, will the movie spoil the Lily Kane mystery? Or any other mysteries for that matter.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Having not seen the movie but all of the show, I suggest you just finish the show before starting the movie. What is the rush? You wouldn't understand who Piz is and he's the most important character besides Veronica. :lol:

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have to watch all three seasons before you can watch the movie.

The movie is just a really short short season 4.

If you can't be bothered watching all three seasons, watch the movie sure, no harm, but you are watching all three seasons, or as much as you can stomach, so you might as well watch the movie in the correct viewing order so that it makes sense and you avoid spoilers.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I've heard the movie is quite accessible to non-fans. So I don't think I'll have any problem with characters I've never seen before.

And the rush is that I've already planned a day at the movies tomorrow and Veronica Mars is the movie I decided to see.

6. bigdaddy

I don't understand why you picked it. I'm sure non-fans can come in and pick up on what's going on. But you asked if there will be no spoilers. Of course there will be spoilers. The first two minutes review the three seasons of the show. However if you really want to see it the spoilers given in the first two minutes are vague, but you won't understand what happened to certain characters.

But as a fan that doesn't live near where it's playing. Go see it, we like your money. :)

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to suspect this is how non-Firefly Fans felt when trying to talk about Serenity with Brown Coats.

I asked a simple question, and true I didn't specify, but it was kind of directed at people that, you know, have actually seen the movie and could answer my question.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

While a non-fan could watch the film, I'm just not sure why anyone would want to. Not only will it spoil certain things, you'll get so much more out of the movie if you know the characters. I can't imagine it being even remotely as satisfying to a newcomer.

9. Guy Gardener

I have seen the movie.

It's a reunion movie.

Imagine going to someone else's high school reunion.

You don't know these people, so you don't care about them.

Why the hell are you there?

If this is your only chance to see it at a real theatre, then that trumps all other arguments.

10. Guy Gardener

IMPORTANT!

There's TWO extras after the credits start rolling, so don't leave the theatre when all the other dillwads do.

There's more.

So watch the first bit, laugh, then watch some more credits, then watch another post snip, then watch ten more seconds and it's over.

Remember how annoyed you were when you missed Thanos at the Theatre?

Get your moneys worth and sit the hell down.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So I'm confused. Is the B plot supposed to be resolved in the novel?

12. Guy Gardener

A lot of things were happening.

Which B plot?

I doubt the books were canon.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

14. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to ask as well: Which B plot? Are you referring to

Weavel and the incident with Mrs Kane?

If so, I don't think it will be resolved in the book. It's more likely that it sets the tone for a possible sequel.

15. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is really
    tied into the whole crooked sheriff/"stop-and-frisk"/class warfare story. Because that encompasses Dan Lamb, Sachs' death, Weevil being framed, and Sachs' revelation that someone is pulling the strings, and it's not Lamb. The whole Celeste Kane thing, aside from shoehorning her into the movie, seemed to be to "reset" Weevil, as the whole movie "reset" Veronica. I took it as this "new" Weevil reverted back to his PCH days. Which is my biggest gripe about the movie, as I prefer to see characters move forward. Granted, it does set up sequels, but I'm not holding my breath for a sequel. Like this one, if it happens, I will be thrilled, if not, though, at least I'm left in a better position than the ending of Season 4.

Granted it was a Kickstarter, so it could have been money related, but I would really have liked to have seen Lily. Some point near the end, Veronica seeing Lily and having Lily tell her something to the effect, "This is where you belong," would have made me accept the ending a little more.

I started out yesterday upset that the nearest theater showing the movie was an hour away and ended the day renting it from Google Play and watching it on my television. Yay for modern distribution methods!

16. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Agreed :D.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yeah. That's the one I'm talking about. I'm actually really annoyed that Thomas did that. It's sort of an unwritten rule of filmmaking not to leave significant plot threads dangle at the end of a tent pole film. It's okay to do it once the franchise is established, but leaving something unresolved when the future of the series is totally unknown is in really poor taste IMO. And if it is something to be resolved in the novel, then he just did it to push books, which is even worse.

Certainly he could have created some kind of leader at the end like the Marvel post-credit scenes or even (presumably) the foreshadowing of a Klingon war in STiD. But this is wrapped around major story elements and transitions.

And that ties into the biggest problem I had with the film: it just wasn't very cinematic.

Like Guy said, it is really season four, but that's really kind of literal in that it's like a shrunk down 1 hour 40 minute season of Veronica Mars. The plotting structure/flow follows much closer to a season of VM than it does traditional film.

And the camerawork isn't very good either. Admittedly, this can be attributed to the budget restrictions, but, in a lot of scenes it seemed, the shot selection and cutting more directly followed television conventions than film.

All in all, if the ooey-gooey Marshmallowishness (which was every bit as good as season 1) weren't there, it would be a pretty poor piece of filmmaking.

It's because of that, that I'm sort of hoping the digital sales exceed the ticket sales. It might encourage WB to consider doing a ~10 episode streaming/on-demand series instead of another film.

18. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be a hell of a sweeps week two-parter. It would be a better season long mystery. It's not such a good movie. I think it shows that Veronica belongs on TV, though as you say, it's more likely that it would be as a streaming/on-demand series than a network show.

Anyone else find it a bit disconcerting when they cursed. It felt like a "hey, we can curse now, let's do it," thing. It's always weird seeing TV shows become movies and suddenly being cursing (though nothing can top Spike's 1986 "Oh shit!" in Transformers: The Movie :D).

I read on-line that Thomas commented about the ending, saying it's "noir," so of course it won't have a happy ending. I think that's a bit of a cop-out. He also said that Weevil's group is obviously older than the gang we see taunting Celeste, meaning he might just be looking to set some punks straight, which is really in keeping with his character.

Two minor things, one positive one negative. The nit-pick first, would Veronica's old cellphone really still work? And how? The more positive, is I loved the little pop-ups for texts. Most shows/movies have the character read it outloud, but I thought the pop-ups were quite effective. And was I the only one wondering if the others in the waiting room would notice Veronica's phone light up with a big picture of Logan on caller-ID?

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I will be streaming it off of Amazon tonight.

20. bigdaddy

You're question was does a sequel movie have spoilers for the show that came before it. The answer is "Duh", I don't need to watch the movie to know that. So don't give me attitude because you asked such a stupid question. :lol:

Made 2.2-2.7 million for the weekend, I think that's good for so few theaters.