PICTURE POST II!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Ugh. :(

Do you at least get vacation pay worked into your cheque? When I had a similar position there was 4.5% vacation pay included. I tried to keep that in a separate account to save for an actual vacation, but cost of living rarely allowed that to happen.

Much as there are days when I really don't like my job, I'm so grateful for my time off I continue to stay. Former co-workers have left, and they experienced your rude awakening. They have since told me they wish they had stuck it out.

There's just nothing easy about this working for a living gig is there?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit.

I'm sorry I ever said anything. :( I certainly didn't mean to piss anyone off!

3. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I don't think anyone is pissed off...its just a conversational tangent! :)

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It's a good tangent. Jobs are not all about the pay. My sister has a job that doesn't pay a whole hell of a lot, but they do give her some paid sick days a year, a drug plan, and paid vacation time - not sure how much time - and she has repeatedly said that those benefits more than make up for an extra couple of bucks an hour. I always told my kids to look at the whole package when going for a job.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

Although I would've loved to have had those four weeks' leave forever, overall I ended up happier working elsewhere. Right now I wish I could work!

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I am currently at 4 weeks of leave per year. I started off with three and then after 8 years of service they give you an extra week. I'll get bumped up to 5 weeks of leave after 18 years of service and 6 weeks after 28 years of service. The only way for me to increase my leave is if I take leave in lieu of pay for overtime.

Anyway, back on topic. I've been browsing through photos from my trip to Tuscany a few years ago and thought I'd share this one again. For some reason I really like it.

[​IMG]

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Technically I get about 7 weeks, but as a teacher, those times are fixed beyond my control.

8. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

In honor of Veterans Day, some pics of me when I was in the US Air Force.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic from when I graduated from Basic Training.
    [​IMG]

9. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If you've answered this before I've since forgotten - were you stationed with American NATO forces over in Europe?

10. Tom Hendricks

I was TDY (temporary duty) a few times in Europe but never with NATO.

11. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got to meet this fine gentleman at the Star Trek convention in San Francisco yesterday. It was my first convention even after having been a fan my entire life. It was quite a thrill to meet Mr. Frakes in person and also speak to Marina and Gates.

[​IMG]

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Cool. Reminds of pictures I've seen of my Dad when he was in the Air Force. ( back in the late 1940s!)

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I've never had the chance to meet Frakes or Sirtis so congratulations on getting a signed photo posing with Jonathan. He always comes off as a very nice guy who enjoys mingling with the fans.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^Yeah, he's near the top of my list in terms of Trek actors I'd like to meet.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

When were you in the AF? I'm not completely familiar with the uniforms, but isn't that an older style?

And thanks for your service!

16. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Played with a community concert band for a pre-Veterans' Day concert and for the Veterans' Day parade. My 13 year old son just started band this year, so I got him to help me out on bass drum. Marches are insanely easy on bass drum since it's mostly just straight quarter notes, and he didn't have to worry about sight reading anything (which he can't do yet). But it was good for his very first performance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Mum's been looking at some photos from this summer and mailed me this one of me in the parking lot at the auto-train station in Narbonne.

[​IMG]

It was a hot day and the train was 6½ hours late...

ETA: (Could someone please tell me how to stop images taken on i-devices to always display wrong side up!)

18. Tom Hendricks

I was in from 1986 to 1990, thank you!

19. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I spent this evening at a book reading, sponsored by ChiZine Publications. Among the authors reading were Melia McClure (reading from The Delphi Room - Stargate fans may recognize her name, as she was in two episodes of Atlantis), Michael Rowe (reading from his upcoming second novel, Wild Fell - Michael has been a friend since he was Editor Guest of Honour at the 2006 Gaylaxicon, which I chaired), and Christopher Rice, reading from his new novel, The Heavens Rise.

During his signing following the readings, Christopher was kind enough to pose for a photo with me:

[​IMG]

And yes, before anyone asks, he's Anne Rice's son - though he's carving out his own niche in fiction quite well. (And in case anyone seeing this is new to the board, or hasn't looked closely at any previous photos I've posted, Christopher is the gorgeous one on the left.)

I had a great time, and am eagerly looking forward to reading both Christopher's and Michael's books. I haven't picked up Melia's, but I may - her reading was excellent as well. Both her and Christopher's selections for their readings had a healthy dose of humour mixed into the horror. (All three books are in the horror genre, which I'm very picky about reading.)

20. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Number 1 has not aged well..