Book reading timeline

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mindx2, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Quoting from my own website:

In 1985, Pocket Books published Della Van Hise's novel Killing Time, then withdrew it from publication. The wrong draft of the novel had been printed. Pocket had the correct version in the stores pretty quickly, but didn't publicize the change. Van Hise was apparently active in the "slash" fan fiction scene (i.e., fiction about Kirk and Spock as lovers), and she worked a slash subtext into this novel, more overtly in the accidentally printed early draft. The editor at the time had Van Hise rewrite the book to get rid of that subtext. The revised version was used for later printings.

There are at least fifty changes from the first version to the revised version, some as short as a single word, others as long as a paragraph or two. Most of the excisions involve scenes in which there is physical contact between Kirk and Spock (for example, describing the warmth of Spock's hand on Kirk's face during a mindmeld). But there was also a sentence that described Spock's realization that Kirk was the person Spock was meant to spend his life with.

If the cover has raised letters for the title, it's likely to be the original; if not, check anyway, because at least some copies without raised lettering have the unexpurgated text. Better yet, just check page 41 for a passage that begins, "I understand that you were probably playing with dolls and wearing lipstick until you were twenty!" That appears only in the original.

2. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'd like to thank everyone who posted the lists in this thread - this is exactly what I've been looking for. I just got into reading the post-series novels (I've read Behind Enemy Lines and Tunnel Through the Stars, and have started The Battle of Betazed), and I can't wait to dive in further.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great list there but where do slings and arrows and seven deadly sins fit into that?

4. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Slings and Arrows would be placed prior to The Battle of Betazed because they tell the first year (2372-73) of the Enterprise-E's service.

As for Seven Deadly Sins...
    • "The First Peer" would be placed before Slings and Arrows as it takes place in 2267, less than a month after "The Deadly Years" (TOS)
    • "Reservoir Ferengi" takes place in 2377, placing it at any point after The Soul Key and and before Homecoming (which takes place in late 2377/early 2378)
    • "The Slow Knife" goes in-between "The Unhappy Ones" and Slings and Arrows and takes place in 2362.
    • "The Unhappy Ones" occurs in 2269, prior to the events of "Day of the Dove", placing it between "The First Peer" and "The Slow Knife".
    • "Freedom Angst" is a mirror universe tale and occurs in 2369.
    • "Revenant" occurs in early 2380 and is concurrent with Greater Than the Sum.
    • "Work Is Hard" occurs in 2370, placing it between "The Slow Knife" and Slings and Arrows.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just in case you don't know the years, the MU stories takes place before Kira and Bashir visit that universe in "Crossover".

6. timothy

Very cool thanks.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I know that's what the timeline note says, but I don't know why. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in "Revenant" that ties into GTTS.

8. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

I remember being puzzled about that when I first read the story, as I was quite excited when I saw the reference GTTS.

My memory about it is a bit vague, but I remember that a post-Destiny setting seemed more likely. Could be wrong though, I'll have to reread.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just assumed it was because the author wanted it to be set as late in timeline, but still involve pre-Destiny Borg.

10. Christopher

Well, it could be overlapping GTTS, since that novel spans about three and a half months. But what's odd is that the timeline note puts it simultaneous with the core events of GTTS in November '80, and I don't see anything in "Revenant" that pins it down that precisely. And it's not like the two events are linked in any way.

11. timothy

what is GTTS? and I was also wondering are there any other plans to do any more challenger novels to be release?

12. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Greater Than The Sum. :)

13. timothy

Okay thanks.

14. Mr. Domino

nope, there are currently, as far as I know, no plans to revive the Challenger line - especially now that Indistinguishable From Magic has been released, featuring an entirely different Challenger.

15. Christopher

I don't see how that's an issue, since the two are set in different centuries, and it's a name that's been used by multiple earlier vessels. But yeah, Challenger was a project specific to Diane Carey, and she's moved on from writing to politics.

16. Mr. Domino

Not a problem for you or I, but I try and never underestimate the ignorance of the common reader - even someone with the good taste to indulge in treklit.

17. Christopher

Right, since of course we've never had two or three series about different ships named Enterprise. That would just confuse people too much. ;)

18. Mr. Domino

Touche.

Its happened, though. In fact, one specific time in college, I had a friend who purported to be a big Trek fan, and I had just finished reading Imzadi - she hadn't, so I lent it to her. The next day she was horribly confused, because Kirk was nowhere to be found.

19. timothy

So are the challenger books and the gateway books importantnt to the time line reading?

20. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No. :)

A couple of the Gateways books are required reading (especially the DS9 tales), but not all are.