Ever like a show but...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by BruntFCA, Mar 21, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good example.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes sense, yeah. One of the things I like about JoA, tended to be more show than tell - plus some ambiguity and snark.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the same thing with New Galactica and "Whiny CryKara". I REFUSE to call her Starbuck. That's Dirk Benedict, thank you.

Of course, I hated most of the characters on New Galactica, but that damn Kara was the absolute worst.

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I have never really had this issue with any main characters because if I don't like the main character I don't watch the show. Problem solved.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You liked the show while hating most of the characters? That's impressive.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's probably more accurate to say that I liked aspects of the show. The truth of the matter is, that if it hadn't been a remake of a show I liked as a kid (and still do), I probably never would have watched it at all.

And let's be honest, not one of those characters were exactly likeable now, were they?

7. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Major Crimes...hateSharon Rayder but love the rest of the team!

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i don't hate rayder, but i think brenda's a hard act to follow

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Overall, I like "The Mentalist," but I can't stand how Lisbon is written. She's written as a total idiot most of the time. I feel bad for the actress.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That about sums my relationship with Galactica up...

Well she's not quite as bad as she used to be, she does get meatier roles and at least she isn't portrayed as being as (likeably) dumb as Rigsby. To be honest whenever another agency or other cops are involved suddenly Lisbon and co look like rocket scientists...much as I love the show I would like more episodes where Lisbon or one of the others cracks the case.

11. propita

Re: Mentalist--Odd that the actor playing Rigsby is losing weight and the one playing Cho gaining.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The buddy system?

It's only safe for one of them to lose as much weight as the other can gain and vice versus.

13. propita

Maybe one's eating the other's lunch?

14. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say I loved the show but hated the main character, but I wasn't very fond of Jack for most of Lost's run, though I started liking him better over time. The first time I liked him was when he was Drunk Bearded Jack in the season 3 finale. :cool:

I don't "love" True Blood, but I did watch it and mostly enjoyed it (well, maybe not season 2) although I haven't bothered to see season 4 yet, but I probably will once I got the time. However, I find Sookie rather boring - I don't hate her or anything, but she's just not interesting, particularly with her relationship with Bill. Fortunately, most of the other characters are more interesting, like Lafayette, Jessica, Tara, Russell Edgington, Jason's girlfriend Amy in season 1, Sam once he stopped obsessing over Sookie, etc.

I've never liked Kirk much.

On the other hand, Buffy is one of my all-time favorite characters.

"Whiny"? Seriously? :rolleyes: How on Earth was she "whiny"? Because she wasn't all smiley and happy after she died twice by the age of 20, risked her life every night to save people (and never got anything for that, unlike her Watcher who was at least paid), had to sacrifice people she loved, when her mother died, when her friends got murdered because of their connection to her, etc., all the while she continued to fight and save everyone year after year? :vulcan:

I guess it's just an example of points 4 and 5 in this old list posted once by someone on Livejournal on the topic of the treatment of female characters in fandoms:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tim Kang is a crafts services bully?

16. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Jack Bauer's wife on 24; I think one episode she was kidnapped 3 times -it's a Darwin thingy for me

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

DevilEyes, I dunno Buffy is pretty much one of the few female characters I find actively annoying, I think it's less about gender than SMG's portrayal of her.

As for The Mentalist I'd still love to see Owain Yeoman use his natural accent for once :lol:

18. DevilEyes

I don't have a problem with people being annoyed by characters I love, people have different tastes. It's when they characterize them inaccurately, like calling Buffy "whiny" which makes no sense. (Unless you're Cordelia desperately trying to convince herself that she's superior to Buffy - which is where the original "WhinyCryBuffy" comes from - despite the fact that she spent most of her time on BtS having her ass saved by Buffy while complaining - whining, you may say - that her life had become so awful since Buffy moved to town.) When you call "whiny" I would expect it to be someone who has no real problems in their life and nothing really bad happened to them, but they keep complaining about just about anything.

As for the way that gender comes into it, well, I've never seen any of the angsty male heroes who had bad things happen to them called "whiny". Oh look that Whiny Cry Sisko, his wife got killed, boo hoo! Look at that Odo with his identity issues, what a whiner! That whiny Batman, still hung up on his parents' death! :rolleyes:

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anakin?

20. DevilEyes

Anakin's a hero? :cardie: