Underworld #4 - Beckinsale in 3D?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Not bad, hopefully it'll continue over the next few weeks, this film did get a much bigger advertising campaign than RotL did though.

2. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the film. I thought it was an improvement over the third film, though I got a sense of franchise fatigue. I did like the Super Lycan though I wish the human war against the supernaturals had been more of an part of the film.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

As much as I'd have liked to see more of the Purge and so on, the Underworld story has always been from the immortal point of view first and foremost, it's always ignored the human side of things unless one of them wanders into the midst of the war like Michael etc

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

As well as the Chris Martin thing, there was another aspect that amused me. Anyone seen the Inbetweeners Movie? The guy playing the vampire son of Charles Dance was the prick holiday rep in said film. I kept looking at him expecting him to have some shit on the end of his nose :lol:

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Considering none of them have defecated in centuries, I doubt it.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So.... if she has the power to ressurect a dead vampire with a few drops of her blood... why didn't she do that for every single vampire that got killed?

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Time? They had her daughter, she'd be losing ground. So
    by resurrecting that groups leaders son she bought some understanding from him...in theory.

Also, UA saw a marginal increase on it's first Tuesday(typical 1st Tue is a drop) of 1% making another $2.1m to bring it's US domestic total to $29.5m. Increases on a first Tuesday are usually attributed to good WOM about a film.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Several of them were badly mauled, a lot probably already had the Lycan strain infecting their blood killing their cells.

Selene only has so much blood in her body and doesn't exactly have reason to waste on them, she only really liked the guys son and spared him for that reason.

And oh yeah, they gave her daughter to a pack of rabid cannabalistic monsters.

Fuck 'em, the Elder's son was the only one worth saving.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

But if she saved em all she would have had an army backing her up ;)

10. Captain Craig

^^^
    No she wouldn't. They had a pacifist as a leader who only seemingly had weapons on hand to have them. He had no interest in using them and thus that clan, as evidenced by their slaughter, had no fighting experience vs other supernaturals, weapons or hand to hand combat.

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Exactly.. Those Lycans tore the coven apart like it was tissue paper... These are Vamps in hiding who only survived because they could run faster than the humans persuing them. They had no fight in them to begin with.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Exactly, his son was the only member of his coven remotely close to being a Death Dealer, or willing to be. The others wouldn't have even thanked the "traitor" for bringing them back, so why bother?

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Surely they would be grateful for having their lives saved? But I concede the point about them being crappy fighters.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

She obviously could only use that power once per encounter.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Some of them perhaps would, but given her reputation among them I doubt it.
    It really comes down to him being the only one worth it in Selene's opinion, both for him and proving her conviction to his father.

Other than that I think the bulk of the bodies would just have had full on sustained bites (complete with venom/drool) from the Lycans and therefore the dreaded "bite from both species" that kills even one of them.

We don't actually know what kind of Corvinus strain she has, probably a unique one altogether, that would not be "pure" and still retain Vampire traits that would make it impossible to bring back one of the Vampires with the Lycan virus in their blood too. Or worse, reanimate them in horrible agony as though their blood was burning.

16. Captain Craig

Another day atop the weekday chart for Awakening. It added another $1.5m on Wednesday to it's total for a domestic tally at $31m thus far.
    The film is doing nicely thus far for it's 4th entry in the franchise.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Not bad :)

18. Captain Craig

Underworld Awakening held well against all new comers except Liam Neeson's The Grey. UA finished #2 this weekend ahead of Man of the Ledge and One for the Money(the other wide releases). Kate's return to the Underworld pulled in another $12.3m, a drop of 51%, the best 2nd weekend drop for the saga to bring it's US domestic total to just under $45m and $84.9 worldwide.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

This is looking very promising for any plans of a 5th installment.

20. Captain Craig

^^^
    Indeed, so far so good.
    Going into it's third weekend and finished two full weeks at the box office Underworld Awakening has pulled in a domestic total of $48.7m and a worldwide total of $88.7m.
    Being SuperBowl weekend this film is likely to be hit hard as it's audience is mostly going to be watching football. The Grey, Haywire and Chronicle(opening new) will also be affected I'd think.