Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

I guess Texas will be the dominant political and military power in Season 2.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Next season isn't about a dominant power.

It's about collating the minor powers into a heap.

By taking out the two strongest states, everyone else will team up to protect themselves from what ever fuck is nuking the former united States of America.

The Unician (Rhymes with Munition, should be a word.) is going to be spearheaded by the President talking about invisible enemies, if he doesn't outright blame Munroe...

It's what happened in Watchmen (the comics not the movie) when John faked an alien invasion so that the Russians and Americans would stop their posturing and work together to prepare for the next foothold.

Alan Moore got the idea from Hitler who bombed a couple government buildings in the early 30s and blamed the terrorists acts on radical Jewish groups, when it was really cheeky uncle Adolf all along.

It's also what Palpatine did when he backed/founded the separatist movement to turn everyone's Republic into his Empire.

Hell, Sheridan did this in season 4 when he let loose on a defenseless asteroid field, so that his allies would think that only he could fight their invisible enemies for them.

My conclusions from watching the first 15 minutes of Star Trek Into Darkness, was that Bin Ladin TRICKED America into starting finacially suicidal wars with Afghanistan and Iraq becuase he thought it was funny and that that series of domino's had always been the old coot's plan.

Or at least that was an idea which JJ was floating us.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they got the power back on, and now this show just turned into Jericho! Atlanta and Philly were nuked in that show also and Texas was its own nation.

So does the president hiding in Cuba, have his own army to take over the east or is he siding with Texas or California?

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I didn't bother watching this last night, instead opting to read the reviews (and forum posts). AV Club gave this episode a D+. They also pretty much gave me a line-by-line recap, which saves me from having to watch this anytime soon.

I think I'm out... I don't know that I want to come back for season 2.

I think she's supposed to be 31. Or at least, that's what can be gleaned from wikipedia, in which it claims she graduated high school in 2000.

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

How do you come up with 31? We see her as little more than a toddler in flashbacks just before the power goes out and the power has only been out 15 years.

This show is somewhat entertaining but your suspension of disbelief has to be off the scale. 15 years without power and every light and appliance magically turns back on at the flick of a switch? They aren't even trying.

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tighr is talking about the actress, not the character. According to wikipedia there's no actual age listed for her. Some sources have her DOB listed as 1988 which would mean she was 12 years old when she graduated High School so unless she was Doogie Howser I doubt that.

Let's say she was 17 in 2000 when she graduated HS. That puts her at 30 now which means she's only 13 years younger than the woman playing her Mother in the show.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Ah. Guess I should have read a few more posts.

8. tighr

Yeah, sorry. I'm talking about Tracy Spiridakos.

I graduated high school in 2002, and I'm 30, so I figured she's around that same age.

Either way, it makes it less creepy for a guy like Guy Gardener to leer at. Still creepy, just less creepy.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

This season finale still leaves the question of who or what caused the blackout? Initially I suspected Randall, but now I doubt it since he wasn’t knowledgeable enough to hack the Tower’s software by himself.

Some people might suspect the president in exile at Gitmo, though it seems (by turning on and off the lamp) it he appears didn’t have any power at Gitmo and wasn’t much more prepared for the blackout than anyone else.

Besides, if the president instigated the world-wide blackout, wouldn’t he have made preparations in advance like having the DOD fortify the white-house, pentagon, Air Force One, military bases and other critical government-facilities with the same type of tech that made the tower impervious to the backout?

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some other yet-to-be revealed character or people that’s responsible for hacking into Aaron’s code controlling the nano-weapon that caused the blackout.

The US president in exile wants to “go home”, which I is assume is re-occupying and reestablishing the United States

I’m not sure all the general populace will greet the president from Gitmo with a warm welcome after 15-16 years, even though the rebels in the Monroe Republic use the US flag as their emblem and talk about restoring the US.

The president and US colony at Gitmo will need something better than several sailing ships seen on-screen if he wants to retake the United States. And even if the president has planes, helicopters and modern ships at his disposal, he’ll still need a large standing army of hundreds-of-thousands of soldiers since occupying and holding territory requires a lot more than just airstrikes, especially a landmass as large as the United States.

And the president better hope the radiation from the nuclear blast that destroyed Philly doesn’t reach what’s left of Washington DC.

It appears Tom Neville’s back to being a bad guy with the militia. I’m not surprised considering his alliance with Miles was uneasy to say the least. I wonder who will make it back to Monroe Republic territory first, Neville or Monroe? Even with Philly nuked, the republic still covers a lot of territory outside the philly nuclear blast area.

With Philly and Atlanta nuked, it opens the series for Texas to play a larger role, or as another poster said, like Jericho.

So, will the food-supply limited tribes of the Plains Nation in Kansas and other former plain states suddenly go back to farming now that tractors and farm machinery can power up again? Though I suspect the tribes won’t change their ways overnight, and the Plains Nation (and the rest of North American for that matter) will be sort-of-like Mad Max, with people seeking out and hoarding fuel for their now-usable cars and other vehicles.

It’s amazing they showed of the power coming back on, though I assume there are places lights didn’t suddenly flicker on since power lines and utility poles would have been damaged over the years due to the weather and other reasons.

11. Guy Gardener

The President... Is this who was in charge when the power went out, or did they continue having elections in Cuba every four years and obeying term limits?

Good lord, I'm only 36! Half my age plus 7 is 25!

For some reason I was thinking Charlie was 16, but the power went out 16 years ago in the pilot and the character was easily a 6 or 8 year old which could make her 25 by the end of season one, even if all the "adults" are treating her like she's a dumb 14 year old kid.

I don't find the actress attractive, but how the story is playing, I can tell that I am supposed to because everyone else thinks that she is young and hot. Middle aged men on the other hand like middle aged women because they are clever and hot. If Tracy is over thirty, it's no wonder my jail bait alarms were not triggered which force me to look in another direction entirely and pray that no one is dialling 911 to protect their children. This casting is every bit as tenuous as the original Beverly Hills 90210 which routinely had 40 year old college students funking out with Brenda and Dylan.

The President doesn't need an Army.

God says that he is in charge.

And...

He brought the power back.

Which isn't a lie.

Which makes him a fricking messiah.

um.

You all do remember how electricity works, I know this show does say "FUCK science" quite a lot, but the Capacitors on those nanites are not going to power everything that isn't broken forever. All the simple widgets are going to keep working for maybe hours or possibly days.

After this TRICK has dispensed with itself, man is going to have to get up off his ass and generate power himself rather than relying on magic fucking fairies.

Power plants, battery factories, and so much damn infrastructure.

The power may have come back, but it's not going to last free of charge.

Unless, the nanites will power everything forever, drawing power from nature and evenly distributing that power throughout it's mass, or sellectively to where it's needed most, and this is like fairy magic?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are we sure those nukes actually made it to Philly and Atlanta? I mean couldn't they just turn the power back off again and wouldn't those nukes just drop out of the sky?

We didn't hear any explosions and there were still time left so I got the feelings there was still time to turn power off an since we seen planes drop out of the sky when power went off, then wouldn't the missiles or atleast the guidance computer quit working?

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, great finale. I wasn't too shocked to see Neville go back to being a bad guy again, Giancalo Espesito is just to great of a villain to turn completely good. And I loved him calling out Monroe on his fixation with Miles, that was great.
    I'm sad to see Nora go, I actually liked her.
    I did not expect to see them turn the power on already. I am very curious to see where they are going.
    I do have one question though, why did a lot of you guys stick with this througout out the season when you seemed to not enjoy any of it? Don't you guys have other things to watch?
    I'm not asking this to be rude or start an argument, it's just something I've been wondering about for a long time. For quite a while now I've seen people on threads for shows like this who watch every episode as it airs, but then do nothing but talk about how bad the show is. I find this baffeling because usually if I don't like 3 or 4 episodes of a show in a row, I stop watching it. There's enough stuff on TV that I do like that I don't want to waste my time on stuff I don't.

14. tighr

I stayed out of desperation that the season finale would give me a good reason to tune in to season 2. I came into this year with high hopes for this show, being the only new series I picked up this year.

15. Guy Gardener

I saw the pilot of Alyssa Milano's new show "Mistresses" yesterday.

I will not watch any more.

Saw the pilot for "The Fosters" this morning.

I will not watch any more.

Okay.

This wasn't Flynn on the Fly.

Before he left Cuba, the President said "Turn the power back on, launch some missiles and then kill yourself."

If the missiles where the Presidents plan... Then he sent teams to those silos to make sure that they were flight worthy when the the power did come back on, which might have even taken years to investigate as many silos as they could until they finally found two arrows that could fly.

And even then, they could have gotten pendants and launched the missiles from the silos without central authorization... But it seems that there was no reason to nuke anything and cater the necessary fear to build an empire until the power was turned back on.

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Go and catch up on Arrow. Much better than Revolution.

I admit, though, Revolution has the soap opera factor going.
    Forget all the apocalypse stuff. It comes alldown to this tiny group of people who scheme and plot to kill each other, change allegiances based on what fits their personal agenda of the moment best.
    The recap of the season at the beginning of the finale confirmed that to me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  17. Guy Gardener

The music at the beginning of the episode with the montage.

They stole that from Supernatural.

(Really?)

If they use the same piece of music next year during the season finale, then we'll know for sure that they stole that from Supernatural.

Difference is...

The Song from Supernatural didn't suck.

Well the Revolution song didn't suck per say, but it was definitely "meh".

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the same, "soap opera," that exists on the Walking Dead. Revolution is however inhibited by FCC rules on network television.

Nanities = Walker virus

Miles = Rick

Google Guy = Herschel

Monroe = Governor

Tom Neville = Daryl

Rachel = Andrea

19. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats a good point, but you get the impression that the nukes were just about at there targets and after Flynn damaged the controls and killed himself it did not look like they were scrambling to turn the power off.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Minor annoyance, and I know they just wanted the symbolic view of the power being restored, but why do all the lights suddenly work? Even if you accept that these little magical nanites can absorb electricity (except when that would be bad, and then they don't), things that are plugged in STILL wouldn't work. Little problem of supply, no? Once the power failed, I'd have to imagine people stopped tending the power plants, and didn't bother to keep generating power. Especially after 15 years. I'd think that even if power became physically possible again, you'd still need a pretty good effort to repair power plants, reactivate them, fix transmission lines, and THEN you'd get some flickers of power in homes.

It's less annoying than the explanation for why the power went out, but still, got a :rolleyes: out of me...