Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no helmet

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, May 1, 2013.

1. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Re: Uhura - A message from Harrison & first look at Klingon with no he

I get some racist vibes from this. Looks kinda like a Western guy would imagine a "primitive" African with those ear-rings (if there are ear-rings, perhaps I just don't see it correctly).

2. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss the goatee!!! Otherwise, I'm fine with it. The Klingons changed from TOS to TNG...and then *again* for ST:III and *again* for TNG...and the Klingons in both ST:V and TUC (Star Trek 6) were a mix of several designs - take Chang for example...who actually looks similar to the Abramsverse variety...

http://www.revolutionsf.com/images/content/startrekchang3.png

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They don't all look alike :p

-Chris

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, TOS Klingons didn't have any specific way of wearing their hair. And different designers have taken Klingon hairstyles as well as ridge designs in their own directions. Plus General Chang in TUC was bald.

That's an odd interpretation, considering how many cultures employ earrings and piercings, including Western culture. And we've seen Trek aliens with piercings before, such as the Orion males seen in ENT.

5. horatio83

It's not an interpretation, it's just the vibes I get from this picture. TOS Klingons were based on racist clichés about Mongols in TOS and it wasn't a big issue.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

My brother is bald and I have a full head of hair.... Must be some type of family reboot or recon going on!

Seriously I remember seeing a site which examined all the variations in Klingon ridges. There was no ridges of TOS, very high pronounced in TPM but the other TOS films were more subtle. With the TNG it was kind of between those two.

Their idea was that Klingons like Chang could have had implants to hide the effects of the virus in ENT. Bottom line it's much more interesting to see all these variations in makeup and hair style. It always bugged me that in TNG/DS9/VOY era that every Klingon, Vulcan, Romulan looked exactly alike in clothing, hair and makeup. That's not believable or interesting. Though any times variations have been tried some fans feel a mistake is made or has to be explain....

We have to explain why some Klingons have piercings and others do not? Really!

7. horatio83

Last time I checked in TOS the Klingons looked very alike and had the same uniforms too. I fail to see the problem with that, the characters underneath the costumes and make-up still differ. Worf, Duras, Martok and Gowron are fairly distinct individuals. Gee, two of them could be Romulans.

8. Dick Whitman

[​IMG]

Lets see different skin colors, clothing, hairstyles. Some with piercings and only a few with facial hair. I am not convinced they all are the same species or live on the same planet.

9. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*sigh* I had promised myself to avoid spoilers going forward, specifically how the nuKlingons look...and then someone posted that photo of the maskless Klingon and boom...right on my Facebook feed. Guess I should just avoid all forms of visual communication for the next 2 weeks.

10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I like it. It keeps enough of the classic Klingon look and makes it look like more than just a guy in latex and makeup.

11. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new look doesn't do anything for me. I don't quite agree with you Horatio on the reasons for your vibe, but there was something off about the picture for me too. It looks like another black guy playing a Klingon. Sure there have been whites and possibly others who have played Klingons, but it seemed like black actors became the go-to from TNG on for a lot of Klingon roles, but few leads ones beyond Worf and Kurn.

12. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I like it. Less Ming the Merciless (TOS, TAS), and less 'member of 80s thrash metal band' (TMP, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT); more terrifying huge Uruk Hai looking ogre (Into Darkness). Bring it on

13. I am not Spock

I agree. Modern day hew mons don't look identical or homogenous. Why should all members of an alien culture? There's no reason why some Klingons can't be tall, huge, balding, have piercings; and some have prominent ridges, and others more subtle ones. I always thought the ridges were like a fingerprint. Each individual Klingon has slightly different ones.

14. I am not Spock

Eh? McCoy was a prominent character in TVH, TFF, and TUC. Especially TUC

15. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Waaaaaay too greasy looking, IMO. Like someone poured a cup of oil over his head. But other than that, I'm fine with the look. It's a Klingon.

I'll reserve final judgement on the NuKlingons till after I see the film.

16. Dick Whitman

The quality of that picture is so blurry its hard to really tell the color or detail. I think that "greasy look" is just the light reflecting from the torch.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trek has always indulged in a casual kind of racial stereotyping with its aliens. Early on I think it was a matter of being able to afford only a few makeup and costuming cues to indicate difference from human beings. Over time, as the Franchise gave up all pretense of treating alien species as other than representing human national/ethnic differences the whole "they all look alike/dress alike/act alike" thing got really annoying.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

In Michael Westmore-style Klingons, the ridge patterns run in families; Kurn and Alexander have ridges nearly identical to Worf's, and all the Duras family members have pretty much the same ridges.

19. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

They should have kept the helmets.

20. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't buy the "wig sticking to the inside of the helmet" story. Couldn't they use stronger adhesive for the hair on the head prosthetic? Or how about doing an unmasking scene with a specifically made helmet that's missing its back half so the hair doesn't get stuck to it. You can hide the missing gap in the helmet so it looks like an ordinary helmet removal.

But worst of all, what about the lack of facial hair? That's what stinks about this excuse from the makeup department. It may be a stereotype, but Klingons always rock the facial hair. I'm sure I've even seen some female Klingons with facial hair in at least one episode. The fact that the unmasked Klingon is clean shaven leads me to conclude that this is not about a makeup malfunction. I imagine this little spiel was presented by someone in Abrams' office at some point during preproduction:

"We're taking the Trek mythos in a new and exciting direction! First bald Romulans, now bald Klingons! It's a pity we can't make Cumberbatch bald for the film too, but we can't afford to sweep another lawsuit under the rug after he defenestrated the last stylist who tried to shave him against his will. Love that guy! He'll be a perfect Khan!"

Last edited: May 2, 2013