STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

STID was partially set in the UK as well. Although it is doing pretty well in the UK, I guess.

F&F is a ridiculous franchise. Can't believe it's made it to six movies. You'd have to pay me to see it.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

There just wasn't as many high-profile takers (like Kellogg's) this time around as there was with Star Trek XI. The various licenses for merchandise was there, but not many were interested.

With Kellogg's, it might have been that they really didn't see an increase in sales with Star Trek XI and saw no reason to try something with Star Trek XII...

3. I am not Spock

If this is the last Abrams era film, will I be disappointed? Yes. Can I live with it? Yes. Trek as a brand is very unlikely to die. Someone else may get a crack at it, in ten years, fifteen years,etc. Maybe even sooner. Reboots come along much more quickly these days than they used to.

I was disappointed that Timothy Dalton only got two movies as Bond (one of my favourite Bonds), but his 2 are still IMO two of the best in the franchise. Audiences weren't ready for a darker take on the character at that time. At least we got two films of his.

I kind of have the same philosophy about Abrams Trek. I can live with it if this is the last we see of it. The next person to head the franchise, should this film not get a sequel, will probably reboot again

4. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

They say word of mouth is kicking in, which would explain the higher than anticipated bump for Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately, they also say the summer movie season has not been this competitive in 20 years.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is not the last film of the Bad Robot era. There's at least one yet to go, in 2016. :cool:

6. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Box office Mojo:
    $ 84,091,000 USA
    $80,500,000 Foreign Gross
    = $164,591,000 Worldwide Gross. What do you think? disappointing or not that bad?

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

All will depend on the Memorial Day hold and legs thereafter...

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't feel like the end, only the beginning. But worst-case scenario, I got two big-budget, fun, action-packed Star Trek films which I'll enjoy again and again.

9. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope that they get to work on the next movie right away, so we don't have to wait another four years. Hopefully they will also not release it right in between two huge action movies!

10. Admiral Buzzkill

It's both.

Look at the title of this topic - that's what the movie was expected to do a couple of weeks ago. At the last minute Paramount decided to open it a day early, and their expectations climbed in the days before release. The movie has disappointed those late studio expectations. Nonetheless, this is a successful release so far; Paramount's getting the big bump up in foreign money that just about their entire marketing campaign - and to a great extent, the content of this movie - has been aimed at from the beginning.

Everyone breath into a paper bag for a couple of minutes, or something. Sheesh!

11. I am not Spock

164 mil worldwide is not to be sniffed at, considering it's only been out for a week (in other territories). It should make its budget back by next weekend, and then it's all profit. Right? Right? Give me some good news here

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All movies these days need to make more than double its budget to make a profit.

13. F. King Daniel

This thread is titled STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]. It's managed $84 million and the day isn't over yet.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

That's just not so. Why does anyone still believe that? :lol:

15. I am not Spock

Does 190 mil include marketing budget?

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Are you kidding? That's common knowledge for anyone that follows the box office. Theaters still need to be paid, they end up with about half after a movie is done at theaters.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It was originally tracking for $85-90 million for the three-day weekend and over $100 million for its first four days, so it's come in under that range with $84 million for the four-day opening.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

No. You mean it's one of those things that "everybody knows"...that just ain't so. :cool:

19. F. King Daniel

Ah. In that case, bleh.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it's a little more complicated than that.

One of the things I've always heard is that the theater percentage starts low and then rises the longer they're showing a film. So the slow start may be bad for Paramount but good for theaters if the movie has legs.