Feline Follies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alienesse, Feb 18, 2012.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

One time a small male cat showed up at my dad's doorstep, walked right in and made himself at home. Fortunately, the cat had a collar and tag. He belonged to someone who lived half a mile away! Outdoor cats do tend to roam, but neutered males don't usually wander that far. I imagined the cat traversing the neighborhood, going from backyard to backyard and chatting with old kitty friends like Burt Lancaster in The Swimmer.

2. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

You make sure you have enough cat food and litter in the house, of course.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've had a bit of a crisis here so my housemate's girlfriend is staying with us for a bit. She's having to bring her own cat so I was wondering what advice people may have regarding introducing her cat to mine...

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Woo. Problem resolved here. Kitty woke up this morning, "asked" to be let out. He went outside, looked around and then headed out in a very purposeful manner. Not running scared mind you. Just looked like he (she?) had some intent behind his course. And no, I didn't slam the door behind him or anything.

It remains to be seen if he will return.

5. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Well, even if kitty doesn't return, it spend a lovely warm night with you, and that deserves a "well done". :bolian:

I must admit I'm a bit envious of the pics of your gorgeous kitties snuggling up with each other. Our longest-resident cat, Holly, dislikes all creatures except those which can fill her food bowl and scritch her behind the ears, so she never goes anywhere near Lucy and Lizzie. The latter two cats, despite being mother and daughter, barely tolerate lying close to each other. Snuggling is completely out of the question, because one will take a swipe at the other should they accidentally touch when sleeping next to each other. It's sad, really. :(

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

He almost sounds like the cat my neighbors had when I was a kid. He started sitting on our windowsill one day so we let him in. Next thing you know he was spending a lot of his nights just sleeping at our place and then we'd let him out again when he wanted to leave. We had all the benefits of having a cat with none of the fuss!

Here he is sleeping on my bed.

[​IMG]

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Depending on the neighborhood you live in, you can get away with that. My childhood best friend had a cat named Jackie who, for all intents and purposes, was a stray. She had a litter box and food in their garage, which they always left cracked open, but she was constantly roaming the neighborhood. Lived to be about 20-years old, too!

I'm too paranoid about my cat to ever let go outside for anything. She's a little wieny and would probably die within 5 minutes.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think my visitor was someone's indoor cat that got out. I'm guessing she went home and is now locked safe inside. At least I hope. Haven't seen her since.

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"LET ME OUT!!!"
    Banshee gets a little vocal if we don't let her out of the cage immediately after we get home! :lol:
    [​IMG]

10. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You did say she lost a substantial region of fur almost down to the muscle layers by being tossed from a moving vehicle, right?

From that angle, I can't even see those injuries. I take it she's healing rather well?

One thing you can't do with kittens (unless they are the Sphynx breed). With that fluffy fur, you can't get a good seal to blow "raspberries" on their tummies. Plus, they'd probably claw the crap outa' someone if they tried. (No, I've never attempted such myself. I'm not that stupid!)

Sincerely,

Bill

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you wouldn't see the injury from this angle. The scar where she was sewn up is hardly noticeable, but her nub of a tail points at an angle. The fur is growing back, but it's still much shorter in that area.

She does seem to be slowly getting functionality back, though. This morning, she managed to get out of her diaper, and then proceeded to squat and pee on our bath mat. We couldn't decide if we wanted to be upset at her peeing there and not in the litter pan, or happy that she was deliberately peeing! :lol:

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Well the bath mat was revenge for something, you can be sure.

13. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Isn't that the truth?

Hubby has locked Junior out of his office since we got him in October. One day last week, he forgot and left the door ajar while we went out for a few hours. Hubby also had his space heater on, so space heater + cat pee = entire house smelled. Never could find the exact spot where he peed, either, so everything got cleaned, sprayed, aired out, etc.

I think Hubby just lost the battle for territory in our house. :lol:

14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

What do you use to get rid of the smell?

15. auntiehill

Carpet cleaner and Febreeze Pet Odor Remover spray. That and having the windows open all afternoon.

16. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Still being fairly new to the board I wasn't able to look through the entire thread. I hope its okay for me to jump in and post some pics of my cats as well. I'm currently deployed so I miss my kitties alot. And my dog-dog too!

Panzer Krieg. This was when he was about 6 months old. He's about 19 months now so he's alot bigger!

[​IMG]

Shade AKA Little Miss Kitty and Mycroft (the stripped one). Mycroft passed back in Sept 2011. He was 14 1/2 ys old. Loved that guy so much

[​IMG]

17. auntiehill

Panzer is a GREAT name for big kitty. :bolian:

18. Sigokat

Thanks! As a purebred Maine Coon we had to give him a first and last name for registry purposes and we aren't allowed to use our last name. So when we came up with Panzer we decided Krieg was a good last name for him. We generally only call him "Panzer" on a day to day basis. :)

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'd love to have a purebred Maine Coon someday. My cat is a rescue and has some Maine Coon in him, but you can't really tell to look at him. He's a little larger than your average cat and his hair is like a medium length rather than short or long, but that's about the only difference.

Also I want to see more pics of Junior!

20. Sigokat

All my pets over the years have been rescue with the exception of Panzer. For a very long time we had wanted a Maine Coon and after Mycroft passed away we realized Little Miss Kitty was lonely. We discovered a Maine Coon breeder only about an hour from Fort Bragg where we are stationed, so we looked into it and were lucky when we found Panzer.