All-Star Superman Specs Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The animation was very much a streamlined version of Quietly's art (which I'm a huge fan of :) ). I agree that they could have made Leo more like his outlandish self but I believe they wanted to make him a mirror for Lex. I kind of wish Jimmy's segments from the comic were put into the movie (he's got some humorous moments in the comic) but understand that it would be irrelevant to the overall plot.

2. What is with the 70 minutes running time? Is that a DC AU standard? If so, that's really stupid. At least make it an hour and a half. Many (many, if not all) of the most successful kids movies have been in the 1.5 hour range. If it's good, it will hold their attention.

3. Admiral_Young

^ Bruce Timm has stated on several occasions that the reason these films are 70 minutes and not longer are due to strict budget restraints. They're not going to be extended. He's added that of course he'd love to make some of these projects longer, but it's just not possible.

4. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These are not kids movies. These are DTVs. A quick check at Disney DTV sequels shows approximately 70 minute run times too. The fact is you just can't make enough money on a DTV to justify the cost of a 90 minute production.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They are movies, they're just movies that are released direct to video. There is nothing in the definition of the word "movie" that excludes any particular medium of release. And they are officially called DC Universe Animated Original Movies.

What they are not is kids' movies. The DC Universe Movies are all rated PG-13, targeted at teens and adults.

6. Admiral_Young

They're definitely not targeted towards young kids that's for sure. "Batman: Under the Red Hood" was arguably the most violent of them.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The people that want action so badly should just watch Superman II again. ;)

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ok, so call them DTV Movies. The point is not the movie title, but that they are DTV instead of theatrical. Bruce Timm has said the 70 min runtime is because of budget issues. It's a simple fact that you don't make as much money from a DTV as you do from a theatrical release. Superman Doomsday was the highest grossing of the line and it grossed $9.5m. Superman returns grossed nearly 10 times that in the first weekend alone.