Tom Paris or Nick Lacarno?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I read somewhere that Tom Paris was originally going to be Nick Lacarno, the cadet from The First Duty, played by the same actor. And that they changed that because they thought the audience wouldn't forgive Nick for what he did.

Would the character have been better had he been Nick Lacarno instead of Tom Paris?

First off I doubt anyone would have hated Nick Lacarno based on that episode. Half the crew was Maquis and Seven was a borg, and Seven briefly increased the show's ratings. And Nick Lacarno was a kid, everybody makes dumb mistakes when they're in college, if anything they would have identified more with him than a guy who'd committed vague unknown crimes in the past.

I think the character might have been stronger if he'd been Nick Lacarno.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There's also speculation that the reason Locarno became Tom Paris was the writer of "The First Duty", who created the character, would have to be paid a royalty for every Voyager episode with Locarno. I suspect this is the real reason for the switch.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's true that they were after a Locarno-like character but Berman was actually surprised when Bobby showed up to the general audition, and that McNiel was actually the best bloke for the job winning out against thousands... Maybe hundreds, of other actors who tried for the part..

4. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Locarno was written to be somewhat like a young Jim Kirk character, a charismatic risktaker who'll break rules. But rather than coming out on top like Kirk does, Locarno loses before his career had a chance to begin. It might have been interesting to see what a Kirk-type personality would be like without the success that Kirk generally had.

But I guess the Locarno/Paris idea was that Locarno was seemingly a really good guy, but deep down he was flawed. Conversely, Paris was the guy who seemed like a bad guy but really was decent and good. Take your pick.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's no James T. Kirk.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Tom Paris was essentially toothless. Nick Locarno would have had an edge to him, but knowing the way VOY was written they probably would have dropped that ASAP.

7. teacake

I always wondered if B'Elanna got her teeth straightened, to fit in with the humans. No way would she have had those perfect teeth with a Klingon parent. I'm thinking when she has a midlife crisis and embraces her inner targ she will file them.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're gonna have that expensive dentistry to fit in, why not go the whole way and have a Doctor give her a forehead job.

9. teacake

Despite being called a turtle head in childhood forehead ridges are not going to produce the feelings of revulsion that Klingon teeth would. Imagine her as a teenager, no human boy is ever going to kiss a mouth containing Klingon teeth. This is probably why she doesn't smile very often, every year at school photographs when she was told to "smile" she could hear snickering in the background.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't Alexander, with his one-quarter Human ancestry, have pretty nice teeth?

:)

11. teacake

Alexander was born with no teeth at all due to a genetic defect. K'Ehleyr had a basic set implanted by a human dentist but planned to have an eventual adult Klingon set done when he reached maturity. Unfortunately she died and the kid was shipped off to the Russians where his teeth were so gleamingly superior to everyone elses that nothing more was said about them.

12. R. Star

Maybe being a dentist just isn't an honorable profession in the Klingon Empire? Though that doesn't explain Worf.

13. teacake

Martok didn't even get an EYE replaced.

14. R. Star

Well there is Worf's comment on DS9 to Zimmerman. "I do not like doctors... any doctors."

15. teacake

They probably dig out their own rotten teeth with qutluchs.

16. Melakon

The Klingon Dental Association makes millions of darseks selling tiny bladed weapons for use in tongue fights.

17. teacake

Tongue fights, that's like Khitomer kissing?

OH MELAKON SO NICE TO SEE YOU DRESSED!!

18. Melakon

Thanks! You mean this little thing? Just something I slipped on. Got it about 3 hours ago. Debating whether I should make it a single image. Might be too distracting now. I think I'll look for more Skip photos of his non-Trek roles. He first caught my attention in The Outer Limits: "Expanding Human", when it aired in 1964.

19. teacake

Oh that's a very undistracting animated avatar compared to some on here :lol:

20. Melakon

Maybe I'll gradually extend it (keeping an eye on file size as this now is 78kb), so it becomes a slideshow for Skip's work.