post Fate of the Jedi trilogy, OT era series announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

theforce.net

post Fate of the Jedi trilogy:

I hope this isn't in hardcover especially after all the FOTJ series being released in that format.

Original Trilogy era novels:

Sounds like it could be fun. Hopefully Han Solo gets one from his POV too.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I debated about starting a thread for this, but posted the news instead in the Star Wars ebook thread instead. I'm excited for the Jaina trilogy even though it's written by Christie Golden, and the "Rebels" series sounds interesting. I hope they're not in hardcover either.

3. Enterprise is Great

What is it with Del Rey and so many hardcovers anyways?

4. Admiral_Young

Remember that their hardcover initiative was announced back in 2007 or 2008 just before the recession hit. There was a reason why they decided to put hardcovers out, I can't remember what that is now. The recession really didn't help them out in that regard. It would be actually interesting to see sales figures for all the Fate of the Jedi hardcovers that were released. I know I passed on getting them because they were hardcovers. I prefer paperback myself.

5. Enterprise is Great

I stopped buying SW hardcovers after NJO. The quality of Legacy and Fate plus their bloated lengths just didn't justify the expense for me.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

About time they picked up that "Sword of the Jedi" nonsense and did something with it. They threw it out there, and then kept trying to bring it up and make it fit, just never did. So it's been awkwardly mentioned and then dropped a ton of times since it came up...

And yeah, I don't buy any of these anymore. Just too expensive. The library is great for that, if they want to keep doing all HC releases...

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ugh. I love reading these books, but I've disliked the Christie Golden books, and Jainia is my least favorite main character. She's just so one note and boring. Ben is infinitely more interesting.

Also, anytime a first time author comes to Star Wars, it usually doesn't come out very well. But I'm delighted they're making books in the Inter-OT-Movie-Era!

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Umm...$$$, you sell hardcover books for more money and make more profit from them. Most books that expect to have a large enough release to justify an initial HC printing and a followup PB release will do it. The only books that don't go HC are books that won't sell enough to justify the cost. If Del Rey is releasing the books in HC, it's because they think the books will sell well. I'm not sure why this is a shock? The Star Wars books have been coming out in HC dating all the way back to the Thrawn trilogy.

9. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, not me. Between Classic Star Wars, Marvel, Empire, Rebellion, Rebel Force, Shadows of the Empire, Allegiance/Choices of One, Vader's Quest, Star Wars Adventures, Splinter of the Mind's Eye and plenty of others too minor to name, this the most ridiculously packed time period in the entire saga.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

OT era? Yay, ones I might be able to get into!

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

My interest in the Jaina trilogy died the instant I read "written by Christie Golden." The Rebels series sounds cool, though. I'll probably check those out.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm interested in the Jaina trilogy. It's long past time that she's been put front and center. I don't mind Christie Golden. I thought she did a good job developing Vestara Khai as well as her part in fleshing out the Lost Tribe of Sith.

13. Admiral_Young

Jaina is my favourite EU character so I'm willing to tolerate Golden at least to check out the first part.

14. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would love,a complete reboot/restart to the star wars EU,books, my self, after legacy of,th.e force I just started to,lose interest.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

This is the same sentiment I expressed in the eBook thread, almost word-for-word. :lol:

I wouldn't call her my favorite, but I do imagine I'll pick up the first book if reviews are decent. I am interested in seeing this "Sword of the Jedi" mantle being developed into something real, rather than just a title that gets thrown around every once in a while.

I also hope that it will continue Jag's story, particularly if it does so by increasing the momentum on his path to Emperor of the Galactic Empire.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Hmm...I've been hoping to get back into Star Wars books after the Fate of the Jedi series. Not interested in starting off with a hardcover though, so I'll pass if that's the case with Sword of the Jedi. By the time it comes out in paperback, I'll probably have lost interest in Star Wars books in general by then.

18. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yes, I forgot add in "I agree with Scout101" in that previous post. You're absolutely right that it's overdue for something real to be done with Jaina's title. So far it seems like the only event that can really be tied to her being called the "Sword of the Jedi" was her confrontation with Jacen in LOTF.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

She was also instrumental in the Jedi Temple battle in the finale of "Fate of the Jedi".

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Heh, sorry, misunderstood the 'um...' post I made. We're totally on the same page with the part you just said. My comment was about your last part, Jag continuing his journey towards becoming Galactic Emperor. Was just stating that per the end of the last book, doesn't really look like that's headed that direction at all anymore...