The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

All of my Ezios are from NECA but McFarlane has the license for AC 3 and 4 figures as far as I know.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Who here has found the brand new 3.75" Black Series figures? I've seen a handful of online store reports of the first wave of eight characters showing up in random states across the map, but I have yet to spot the new 3.75" assortment myself. Anybody spotted Wave 1 and/or have any pics of a score?

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I saw them at TRU the same day that I grabbed my 6" figures, but didn't pick any up. If they've reached Iowa, then they are definitely out there across the country.

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, I got some interesting goodies for my birthday yesterday....

"Tasha? Is there something you forgot to tell me?"
    [​IMG]

"What is this, a starship for ANTS?" Captain Kirk is disappointed.
    [​IMG]

Also, I added Emily (Molly's English friend) to my American Girls collection.
    [​IMG]

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVE these Tom Servo "cameos"!!!

You know, that's a visual we rarely see anymore. Not the celebrity cameos, I assume that was just the Adam West series. No, I mean the "climbing" up the side of buildings. I'm not sure what's normally depicted within the comics (I've only purchased Fred Perry's Gold Digger with any regularity), but since the motorized grappling "gun" was introduced in the Tim Burton movie, Batman simply presses a switch (after he's anchored the line) and "zips" upward. True, it's a practical idea, and a technology that can more or less be replicated in real life as MythBusters demonstrated. But I can't recall in the movies when Batman had his boots planted against a wall as he gripped a rope.

Sincerely,

Bill

6. 6079SmithW

I got a Mal action figure and a Jayne action figure yesterday at Shore Leave. They came autographed, which is probably why they cost so dang much. Still, they're awesome! :)

7. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

I skimmed the thread and didnt see this one:

[​IMG]

Marvel Select The Wolverine. Gonna be a definite buy for me. The heads and hands are interchangable.

8. cooleddie74

Keep your eyes peeled, guys. The new Black Series figures - both sizes and scales - are reaching every corner and region of the country. The TRU in Times Square in New York is jammed full of the eight new 3.75” characters and reports are trickling in from more and more states.

9. golddragon71

golddragon71 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, It's been a long time coming , and, no lie, the upcoming ARROW Figure was definitely a catalyst towards my working to get this one but now Justin Hartley's Green Arrow has joined the ranks of my Collection....I feel compelled to mention I got him for less than a Hundred Dollars (about 75.00 in point of fact!)
    Green Arrow
    [​IMG]
    Hooded Green Arrow
    [​IMG]
    Hooded Closeup
    [​IMG]
    Green Arrow and Impulse
    [​IMG]
    Green Arrow and Impulse Hooded
    [​IMG]
    Smallville Green Arrow and New52 Green Arrow
    [​IMG]
    Brightest Day and Smallville Green Arrows (BD's GA lost his bow)
    [​IMG]
    Brightest Day and Smallville Green Arrows Hooded
    [​IMG]
    The Quiver!
    [​IMG]

10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice collection, but that last pic made me think they're going to break out in song! "We're men! We're men in tiiiiiiiights!" :guffaw:

11. cooleddie74

I might have a lead on some of the new 3.75" Black Series (Wave 1) figures so I'll be checking in a little while. If I can get some of them I'll let you guys know what I think of them and which characters I managed to pick up.

12. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I picked up some of the Walking Dead figurines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, I take it you're a fan of Green Arrow? ;)

You're missing the DCUC Wave 20 Brightest Day version, by the way.

14. cooleddie74

Didn't find any new Black Series in either size/scale, but I did score the four new Mission Series 2-pack sets. For the level of articulation and the price per figure (you get two figures for $9.99, making each character roughly the same price as your average Saga-line figure from 2002-2004 and the Original Trilogy Collection basic carded figures that immediately followed) they're a good deal, plus the Clone Troopers and Battle Droids included make for good army builder/background/diorama fodder. They're not exquisitely detailed but they have a remarkable amount of detail and apps for a figure that's made of decidedly inferior plastic and aimed much more at kids and budget-conscious parents than adult collectors.

The Vader/Seeker Droid is my least favorite of the four sets, but even it has its charms and was worth picking up.

15. 6079SmithW

^ I got the Coruscant pack today. I'm actually more interested in the Mission Series than I am in the Black Series. This is due to price point and actually having characters I'm interested in, though I'm not thrilled with wave 2's selections. I also got two Episode 1 peasant outfit Padmes from my local comic store.

16. cooleddie74

I do like the fact that you get two figures for $9.99 and that four of the eight figures in the first wave are color-coded Clones and Battle Droids, so these sets make for excellent army building and diorama fodder considering you can get multiple 212th and 501st troopers and two different droid flavors for just five bucks each, the price of a regular basic figure about ten years ago.

There will be other Mission Series sets later, including a Han and Chewbacca 2-pack based on the original film and the first Death Star, and I imagine once they enter deeper OT territory their appeal will only expand with some people. They have reduced articulation and the plastic's decidedly inferior compared to the more expensive premium/collector figures, but in this day and age $5 isn't a bad deal at all for a Star Wars figure that looks pretty much just like the film character. The critics can say what they want, but these look a whole lot better than the figures we were getting in the late nineties and the very beginning of the 2000's.

17. 6079SmithW

The next wave will have Han and Chewie as you've stated, C-3P0 and R2 (Tantive IV) and Obi-Wan/reborn Darth Maul (Clone Wars). This may sound blasphemous but I'm more interested in PT than OT figures. What you say about the late nineties/early 2000's seems to be true as my local comic store has lots of Phantom Menace, Power of the Force and a few AOTC figures which to me look pretty crappy. On a side note, when I started collecting I promised my self that I wouldn't get into Star Wars but I guess I broke that promise this week.

18. cooleddie74

I've seen a couple of pictures of the Mission Series C-3PO. He's really nice and if the Comic-Con and Celebration Europe display copies of the figure are any indication then they did a better job with Threepio's eyes than they've done on most previous figures of the character dating all the way back to the classic Kenner era.

Plus, Threepio's one of those characters that doesn't really need 14 joints since protocol droids tend to have a somewhat stiff design and way of carrying themselves. It's not as if Threepio could weightlift or do squat thrusts anyways.

19. cooleddie74

Brand new images of the six exclusive carded figures in the cancelled Droid Factory / Legacy Collection packaging that was supposed to be the design seen on store shelves and pegs this year before plans for the two other 3-D prequel releases were squelched (and Hasbro had to consequently retool its figure lines and packaging designs for most of 2013). These will be an online-exclusive set on Amazon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Clint and Tasha join Thor on the Enterprise- Loki is loose!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]