Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Okay, are these mini DV tapes or something else? I'm really only set up to handle mini DV or pre-captured footage, so assuming you would want to use my assistance, that would obviously be a limiting factor.

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

They're mini-DVs, yes. I tried to get Tom to upload the footage he captured from them, but he says it would take too much time to upload. So we're waiting for the return of the tapes.

3. USS Intrepid

Okay. That's a lot of footage, so I'd agree it'd take a long time to upload. How long is the episode itself supposed to be?

4. Potemkin_Prod

35 mins -- we shot a lot of footage over 6 days of filming

5. USS Intrepid

Okay, one last question. Is this standard definition footage, or high def?

6. Potemkin_Prod

Standard Def, HQ, 720p I believe. I'm hoping to have the tapes today.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

SD is not 720p. That's low-end HD. SD is 720x480(ish). 1270x720 and 1920x1080 are hi-def.

8. Potemkin_Prod

Maurice, I can only tell you what the camera says it is. It says HQ. Std Def. 720p.

It is clearly NOT Hi-Def.

I should add the picture quality is excellent, and the camera could be set to Hi-Def. We're just not wanting all the wood grain on the set walls to show. :D

9. Potemkin_Prod

worked on the lirpas today. First one was a bit rough because I realized that the coroplast needed to be cut to size. The first one, I tried a soldering iron to cut it out, and it was rough. I realized then I needed to go with a laser to cut it, so I've taken it to Impressions Made Easy. Tom says he'll give it a go with the laser. That'll be really cool if it works!

Meanwhile, Dave Eversole's been doing a few more tweaks on the script. He'll have it finalized for the shoot tomorrow morning at 9:00am. I'll be posting it tomorrow to SugarSync in PDF form. I'll be printing up at least a dozen of the final version tomorrow for Saturday's shoot.

I'd also like to announce that Sara and Bill MacKenzie, and Christin Woods will be joining the cast of "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky." Sara will be playing T'Hima, the wife of Paral. Bill will be playing Lieutenant Quinton Caley, an astrogeologist who's part of the landing party. Christin will be playing T'Noshi, a Vulcan science officer also a member of the landing party. We'll be posting bios on the main website as soon as they send them in.

Lastly, we'll begin filming Saturday morning. Cast is requested to show around 8:30am for costuming. Sara will be on-hand for alterations. Christin and Eric will be getting their ears. Jeff, Bill, Christin, Eric Kalv and Richard Thornton are needed. If anyone else plans on attending, you'll be more than welcome. But please let me know if you're attending so that I can order enough doughnuts, coffee, sodas, water and fruit.

One more thing: Potemkin crewmembers: do not forget your black slacks, socks and shoes. Please wear a comfortable undershirt (one without a pattern/design which could show through). If I need to be reached, I'll be on-line most of the day Friday and most of the evening as well. Saturday morning, you'll need to call me on my cell phone.

I look forward to seeing you there!

10. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Break a leg, y'all.

Sir Rhosis

11. Maurice

What's the camera model?

12. Potemkin_Prod

It's a Panasonic that belongs to one of the local colleges. Today we set it for NTSC, 720x480, 4:3, 29.97 fps, which is not HD even though the camera can be set for it. Like I said, the camera has a variety of rates. It's very nice. For our next episode, we'll probably try something different. So far, we've used four different cameras, not including one which has a broken zoom function so we couldn't use it.

13. Potemkin_Prod

The shoot when very well today! A special thanks to Sara Higgins Mackenzie who went above and beyond the call of duty serving as on-site seamstress as well as camera operator!!! Also thanks to Dennis Proulx who was our boom operator, William Searcy who was our still photographer. Our cast was terrific as well: Jeffrey Green did a great job as Captain Grigory as well as serving as director and director of photography. Christin Woods did terrific as T'Noshi, Bill Mackenzie was superlative as Caley, and Richard Thornton did extremely well as Frazier. Eric Holt was definitely well cast and was quite a sport considering he was the there the whole time and didn't get into the action except for the last shot. Still, it was a memorable scene.

The temperatures shooting underneath the canopy of an ancient pecan tree were quite tolerable, and we managed to shoot the three pages of the teaser. We had plenty of refreshments (and some really tart apples, LOL), but everyone seems to have had a good time.

Again, thanks to everyone for making the first day of shooting a joy!

We'll be posting a variety of pictures to our home page shortly.

14. Maurice

Yes, but what's the MODEL #?

15. Potemkin_Prod

Maurice, I've no idea what model number it is--I think you've asked before and I still haven't thought to look. There's a picture of it on the Potemkin website somewhere if it's so important. We spent five hours in the South Georgia heat to get 17 minutes of footage. My setup checklist is two pages long (and I'm awake right now because I've got to add SUNSCREEN to that list for Friday's shoot). My list of duties includes makeup and appliances (i.e. ears), prop master (phasers, tricorders, communicators, lirpas), assistant costumes (pins--rank and Starfleet as well as IDIC), continuity, assistant camera man (and lose the assistant when Sara left at 1130am), script boy, caterer, gaffer (LOL -- it was 1200 feet of extension cords today -- Jeff's talking about buying a $1500 generator) among other things. We started setting up at 8:10am this morning, started filming at 10:15am or so, wrapped at noon, and managed to have things cleaned up and repacked at 1:15pm. To me, that's all far more important than which bloody model number the camera (which is never left in my possession) happens to be. Sorry for the terse reply, but it was a long day.

16. JohnnyE4

JohnnyE4 Lieutenant Red Shirt

sounds like one heck of a day and almost a mini movie in itself

17. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Pics look great, congrats on a successful first day's shoot.

Sir Rhosis

18. Maurice

If you have the realization that you're being terse you oughta have enough sense not to push SEND. I was merely trying to be helpful by looking up the camera specs, but now forget it.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Maurice, it didn't come across that way to me. It came across as nagging me about the model number of the camera we used back in November. You've asked repeatedly (hell, you asked twice in the past few days), and I've been quite honest: I don't know the model number. I didn't think about it back in November, and I don't know it now. When we're shooting, it's probably the furthest thing from my mind. And frankly, I just don't think it matters now either.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And someone as generally helpful and professional as DS9Sega would do that because...?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011