Crysis Warhead

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Rii, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I never got into Crysis last year after the demo left me unimpressed, but between early indications that Warhead significantly improves upon Crysis in almost every respect and the low price point (USD $30 on Steam) I admit to being rather tempted.

Is anyone else here picking this one up, or thinking about it?

2. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Heh, After loading the demo up on my last system and not being too impressed, I forgot to try Crysis on this machine that I just built. Shows how interested I was in it.

There a demo for it?

3. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

I quite enjoyed Crysis; I wasn't really thinking about Warhead but the reviews are looking really good so I'll probably pick it up. Though maybe not right away, Spore and Warhammer are taking up most of my very limited free time :p

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

No demo that I'm aware of, I guess they figure the original Crysis demo suffices there. Warhead is basically a standalone expansion pack.

5. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I'm over Spore. Warhammer is tempting, especially since Mythic - unlike the developer of a certain other high-profile MMO - is offering Oceanic servers. I'll wait to see how it performs post-launch, though. Age of Conan had a lot going for it too, and look what happened there. :lol:

6. Arrqh

I've been playing the Warhammer beta on and off for the past month and I'm enjoying it quite a bit... the RvR stuff is fun enough that I've actually got into PVP for the first time in the past week. And the Public Quests are so much more enjoyable for me then instances in WoW ever were.

That said, I tend to get tired of MMOs after a month or two anyway.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Crysis had one of the worst shooting engines ever, it could decide if it wanted to be a realisic ballistics game like STALKER or general FPS game like COD.

The system requirements were stupid and hurt sales bad but PC's have caught up more in the past year but still no way am getting this even when I get my new PC simply because of EA's habit of still making lackluster shooting engines.

8. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Crysis was developed by Crytek, not EA.

9. JonathonWally

Isn't it just evolved from from the engine from Farcry?

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I know but FarCry was decent and it just seems anything associated with EA sucks. Battlefield from Dice/EA and Crysis. Did EA buy the Crytek studios or just partner up ?

11. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crytek is still indie as far as I know. In fact, Warhead is actually developed by a satellite studio they opened up recently.

They're just part of the EA partners program.

12. Arrqh

It's just a partnership. EA had nothing to do with development.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Well still curse of EA just being involved by name :p

14. firehawk12

For better or worse, EA is the good company now. That's how sad it is now. :p

15. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Rage is being published by EA too, so let's hope you're wrong. Having id turn out a game with sub-par gunplay would truly be the end of civilisation as we know it. :lol:

16. JonathonWally

Carmack would destroy the world if that ever happened.

17. firehawk12

Let's be honest though... have we cared about an id game since Quake 3?
    Rage really is just a demo for developers to get them to switch off UE3 and move back to idtech.

18. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I'm interested in Quake Live, not so much Rage at the moment. I only meant that id missing the mark with regard to satisfying gunplay would be like Polyphony Digital missing the mark on some basic... car... handling... thing. I love listening to Carmack, though, he just goes on and on until someone switches him off. :lol:

19. Twilight

Twilight Vice Admiral Admiral

I personally thought the gunplay in Doom 3 was sub-par. :p

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Doom 3 biggest problem was the 100% scripted events, everything felt so forced that you never forgot you were playing a game. Shooting engine was average at best though kudos on the graphics/atmosphere.