So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Titan: Fallen Gods last night. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, considering that Sieze the Fire was such a struggle. It wasn't as repetitive as StF, and I liked the overall story. I did have a hard time picturing the Ta'ithans and I was disappointed that there wasn't really any closure for the Ta'ith storyline or the
    transporter duplication of Titan's Andorian crew
    . Hopefully that last part will be picked up on in another novel.

Up next is Supernatural: Right of Passage by John Passarella. I'm really looking forward to it due to my enjoyment of Passarella's previous Supernatural novel, Night Terror. I hope this one is just as good, if not better.

2. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished Plagues of Night and started reading Raise the Dawn. Bought Fallen Gods and Brinkmanship on my bday so they are sitting on my shelf ready to go.

Aside from the potential fallout of the Andorians seceding does Fallen Gods tie in with the current Typhon Pact story?
    I ask because Im not sure if it matters in which I order I read, was thinking about going to Brinkmanship after Raise the Dawn unless I should knock Fallen Gods out first?

3. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone know where I can find relatively complete synopses of Trek books, specifically of Vanguard? I want to play some catch-up, but don't have the time I'd like to re-read the whole series.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished It's Hour Come Round, the last book in the STTOS: Mere Anarchy miniseries. I really enjoyed the book. I especially enjoyed the focus on McCoy and Urhura, two of my favorite TOS character.
    My Rating: 8/10
    Here's my review of the overall miniseries on Shelfari:

5. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm finally gonna get caught up on the latest 24th century trek novels. The last ones i had read was the Destiny trilogy. I had bought all the books up to what's come out in the last month, just haven't read them yet. So i have quite the backlog of VOY/TTN/Typhon Pact/TNG books to wade through.

6. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished The Sorrows of Empire, which was fantastic. Really enjoyed it, great focus on Spock. I also read "The Black Flag" in situ of Sorrows. Fairly strong.

Just now finished up "The Traitor" from Shards and Shadows. Of the Mirror Universe shorts I've read so far, it was probably the worst. At best, it's just too tangential to the MU to be very interesting except to Stargazer fans, at worst, there's a needless double-reveal that makes the whole adventure feel moot, perhaps even meaningless. I'm not one to lightly defame a story, but coming off the high of Sorrows and my general feeling of "great" about the ENT/TOS era MU stories, I was expecting more.

I got about 1% through "Freedom Angst" from Seven Deadly Sins. It's good so far, my Mirror Universe read through continues apace!

7. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Is The Best and the Brightest contradicted by any other source.

8. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, I cannot really remember "Best and Brightest" (I guess I am not so much so). Just finished reading "The Patrian Transgression" by Simon Hawke (1994) and while it does not exhaustively treat paranormal psi abilities, it has many interesting ideas. The subject of "intent to transgress" and security intelligence areas of "conspiracy to commit a felony" are not that far apart. Separation between policing functions and security intelligence are suggested as maybe needed.

Oh, I also read "What Money Can't Buy" by Michael J. Sandel (2012) which was a very entertaining short read. Really. Tomorrow I shall see "Dredd 3D" and hope that it is at least somewhat more morally viable than many 18A films. Also currently reading "The Green Guide" by David Suzuki.

Perhaps next ST = "To Reign in Hell" by Greg Cox (2005) which is also subtitled "The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh" and seems to be reputable.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Glad to hear it! :)

10. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read Part One of TRIH and am now very eager to read the rest of the book. Now it is not just based upon reputation. Oh, and sorry but the only Milton I have read is "Samson Agonistes" though PL & PR have long been on my todo list. Thanks for what looks to be a very good read. Also have "The Black Shore" in my living room too. Happy Thanksgiving! (Only in Canada you say?... Pity.)

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving, but not until next month, alas.

(Although I've already had at least one slice of pumpkin pie!)

12. Psi'a Meese

Psi'a Meese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I came across several used copies of Trek paperbacks last week. The Trek section is not that much. And what I found was outside on a bargain cart. As I looked over them, it occurred to me that this was someones collection having been recently contributed. I thought to myself, I'd die before giving up my Star Trek books. Well. I think that is what happened here. A Trekkie passed away and that disturbed me somewhat. While I couldn't buy up all the books I saw, I managed to snag a handful (all first printings) that I had seen mentioned in topics here.

• Lost Years
    • Ex Machina
    • Articles of Federation
    • Encounter at Farpoint
    I found that I wasn't impressed enough with Lost Years to finish it. Something about Spock getting a tarot reading rubbed me the wrong way, heh. So I sat that one aside for now. I hope to try it again later.

I had met Nan Bacco in Typhon Pact and DTI novels. I have been curious about her for a while. So I skipped to Articles of Federation. For some reason I envisioned the late Nancy Parsons (TNG's Sovereign Marouk) the entire time as Bacco. She is every bit as dynamic as I had hoped she would be. This one is, IMO, amongst the best Star Trek novels I've ever read. This book sets next to Prime Directive, Final Reflection and Vanguard.

Currently, I'm reading Ex Machina. It helps that I do watch my Director's cut of TMP once in a while. So I'm really immersed at the moment. Thus far, this story captures well the loose threads of character development the movie had suggested. Not to mention the impact of V'ger's evolutionary display. It's the only book that I've read which acknowledges it.

13. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just started Brandon Graham's King City. The fat oversized collection from Image/Tokyo Pop. Cool funky comics with a seemingly omnipotent cat. Loving it so far :techman:

14. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Rereading Zero Sum Game as a start to get back into the swing of current Trek. I still find all the changes in the jump ahead in time very disconcerting. I hate not knowing how people got into the circumstances we find them in. :p

15. ElaysianInvasion

ElaysianInvasion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The last Trek novel I read (over 2 years ago I think), was David Mack's Destiny:Lost Souls. I need to hurry up and finish off the Discworld series so I can go back to reading some Trek. :P

16. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Supernatural: Rite of Passage yesterday, and I'm now reading Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide.

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Ice Trap by L.A.Graff I'm really enjoying reading this book.I've never read this TOS novel before .I'm looking forward to reading Startrek TNG Into the nebula by Gene De Weese and Startrek Voyager Unworthy by Kristen Beyer.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished a couple more stories in Dark and Stormy Knights, "Even a Rabbit Will Bite" by Rachel Caine" and "The Dark Lady" by PN Elrod. I enjoyed both stories quite a bit, although my favorite story in the collection is the first, "A Questionable Client" which is a part of Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series. I've decided to take a break from this for a couple weeks to focus on finishing up the other two books I'm reading.

19. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here, the last 24th century book i read was Destiny Book 3 when it first came out. I've been buying all the books since, and have everything up to "Brinkmanship" but just never got around to reading them. So i'm now re-reading the Destiny trilogy, and will finally get all these other books knocked out. I'm enjoying Destiny so much more than I did the first time i read it.

20. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I highly recomand Unworthy.