World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Captain Matthews

Captain Matthews Commander Red Shirt

Purchased my tickets for the 7pm May 7th premiere here in Buffalo, NY!

Not sure if anyone asked this question yet...but do they show Enterprise being launched for the first time?

2. TOS

TOS Cadet Newbie

I have been trying to follow this thread but I have just read the first 30 or so pages. Pehaps this has already been answered. Ok, here it goes... If this movie takes place in an alternate reality were the future is changed and things are happening different, why having William Shatner appear as old Kirk was not possible. This is not the original timeline so for all we know Shatner could have been shown as the old Kirk of THIS timeline or something like that.

Showing Shatner was not going to going to break the, AT LEAST FOR ME, official, my true love, real continuity/canon.

3. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

yes :) and it's hella funny ;)

4. GulDucati

GulDucati Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

There are a couple of reasons. For one, this movie takes place in an alternate reality that is created by characters in the existing Trek reality - namely old Spock and Nero, and in that reality, Kirk died in Generations. Second, the alternate reality takes place in the very earliest days of the Enterprise crew, it does not flash forward to the "Next Generation" era of this reality. To do so would defeat the purpose of starting over again, so that stories can now be told without the burden of continuity.

5. indranee

IMO, the only hindrance to the Shatman's appearance in the movie was his growing (read, unstoppable) girth.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm gonna say it--post your weight when you're in your late 70's. Gravity catches up with everyone.

7. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

^ Not everyone. My Dad is in his late 70's, and was diagnosed with diabetes a couple years ago.

He went on a diet all by himself, and lost the weight he needed to by eating right and exercising. Lost a good bit, and he's back to the weight he was years ago.

But, some metabolisms just can't work as fast as they did when they were younger.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

that or Kirk has a low opinion of beer not Budweiser related.

9. Spinstorm

Spinstorm Ensign Newbie

Listen guys... I am sorrry but Shatner is past it and not in good physical condition. He would have made the film lose credit and become a joke in anyone who wasn't a star trek fans eyes.

I loved him in Boston Legal but he would have turned Star Trek into a joke.

I don't want him in the film or any other films... HE is finished as far as I am concerned and all those people stuck up over him not being in it are all for nothing.

He isn't needed. He isn't in it and I am very very happy he wasn't in it.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna say it - you're talking through your hat.

Most people I know who are in their late 70s and beyond are not obese. Shatner, at least as of last weekend, is. The so-called "obesity epidemic," in the U.S. at least, is much more noticable among people of my generation and the cohort just ahead of us - in other words, the blessed "Baby Boom" - and younger. No doubt the percentage of elderly who are really fat will skyrocket in the next twenty years, but there you go.

11. Borgminister

I see, your anecdotal evidence against mine--although I'm presenting none.

All I'm saying is it is easy to gain weight, increasingly so as you age and are otherwise healthy and hearty.

The battle of the bulge is never ending. Well it does end. But never happily.

12. indranee

I'll probably be even thinner. my family tends to follow that pattern. it's very genetic. weight gain in terms of aging.

plus, look at Nimoy.

the Shatman is more the Brutus type than the Cassius.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I noticed that last part.

14. Borgminister

As opposed to your extensive presentation... :lol:

15. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Michelob is also produced by Anheuser-Busch. Shatner's preference for Labatt showing through, perhaps,

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, it's Anheuser-Busch InBev, now. Which means not only the AB products, but Beck's, Stella Artois, and a huge number of other brands across the globe. Heck, by the 23rd century they may be the only brewer on Earth.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

A division of the RAMJAC Corporation?

Edit:

Heh. Amusingly enough...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  18. Quark's Lobe

Quark's Lobe Commander Red Shirt

Double-post. Sorry.

19. Quark's Lobe

Quark's Lobe Commander Red Shirt

I had the pleasure of getting to watch the movie last night at a Denver advance/press screening. A few random observations, and apologies for the lack of spacing, but my paste is formatting strangely:

- First off, I absolutely loved the movie. Yes, I was bummed when I found out (ahead of time) about Vulcan. But I'm telling you, Vulcan's destruction absolutely gives this film the emotional impact and gravitas it needs and elevates this movie so far above every other Trek film in the last couple of decades. I'm angry that Vulcan got destroyed, but I'm not angry with JJ, Orci, etc. On the contrary, I applaud them for their boldness. Instead, I'm angry with Nero. And isn't that the whole point? I CARE about what happened in this movie - it has resonance, it MATTERS. When Kirk and Sulu are trying to take out the drill, I'm actually sitting there hoping against all odds that they can succeed. When they don't, it sucks. It sucks that Vulcan is gone. But it also means the events of this film have meaningful implications. No lazy reset button. And Star Trek is better for it.

- With one exception, every actor was fantastic. I'll stop short of saying that Chris Pine now "owns" the role that William Shatner originated, but I will say that Pine was absolutely wonderful in the part and will very likely vault himself to superstardom as a result. His role as a developing Kirk involves a lot more physical and subtle comedy than Shatner had to do, and Pine knocks it out of the park. Quinto is equally brilliant as he struggles to balance the emotion and the logic. Nimoy is heartbreaking as Spock, in a good way. Saldana brings Uhura to life in a way that I've never seen before. Her very unexpected romance with Spock is great, as you see her dancing around his emotional control problems. That said, Spock never takes anything out on Uhura. She's basically his rock, it seems. Urban is like watching DeForest reincarnated - 'nuff said. Yelchin actually made Chekov likable again, which is a high praise from me as I was not formerly a Chekov fan. Yelchin's wide-eyed excitement is infectious. Simon Pegg was the big surprise for me. I expected his Scotty to absolutely pale in comparison to Doohan, but Pegg was fricking hilarious! Definitely a slightly "goofier" Scotty that I'm used to seeing, but Pegg just nailed the excitable nature of Scotty. I'm sure his little assistant will annoy some folks (particularly when he shows up on the Enterprise at the end as a crewman, apparently), but I thought the little guy was awesome. Especially when he seemed to tear up when Scotty leaves him earlier in the film. John Cho lacks the bass rumble of Takei, as many have stated, but he also brings a new badassedness and overall humor to the character. In fact, their initial moment leaving spacedock almost seemed like a bit of a nod to Galaxy Quest, when the helmsman didn't seem to know what he was doing for a sec. But all doubt about Sulu's abilities is erased by the end of the film, and his swordfight atop the drill was, in a word, awesome. Ryder brings a quiet dignity to Amanda. Would have liked to see a bit more screentime for her, and I'm sorry that the baby Spock stuff was cut. That said, when her section of the cliff begins to fall just as the transporter tries to take hold, it's absolutely gut-wrenching. That scene really stayed with me, particularly when Spock rematerializes on the transporter pad, hand outstretched, shock etched on his features. Bana is interesting as Nero. His character seems a bit all over the place, sometimes very formal, sometimes almost comically casual with how he addresses people. But 100% scary when he's mad. The only weak point for me was Ben Cross as Sarek. For some reason, he just didn't do it for me, lacking the deeper qualities that Mark Lenard could convey in the role with a mere look.

- Architecturally, the hanging buildings on Vulcan were visually interesting, descending down from various rock formations. The Vulcan training pods, where young Spock has a fight, were a little "Attack of the Clones-ish" for my taste, but okay.

- I loved all the Kelvin stuff. Seeing George Kirk in action is well worth the wait, even if his final dialogue with Winona is a little soap opera-ish as it progresses. Also, the eyes of baby Jim's delivery nurse = pure weirdness. :)

- I know the Klingon stuff got cut, but I was very surprised at the lack of well-known alien Federation races. I didn't see any Andorians, Tellarites, etc., though maybe I just missed them in the crowd scenes. The new aliens are great, some subtle, some very imaginative, but I would have loved a glimpse at more of the "classic" aliens.

- The brief 2 minute scene that establishes Nimoy Spock's and Nero's history together is seriously waaaay too brief and could have used a lot more explanation for the average movie-goer. I had read the Countdown prequel comic series ahead of time, which I'm very grateful for, as Nero's hisotry and motivations are so much better explained there. I think they did Nero a severe disservice in this film but not devoting a little more time to his backstory. Don't get me wrong - I want to watch Kirk and Company most of all (in other words, I don't want another Shinzon-style villain where he's being given more screentime than the main characters), but I do think they should have devoted just a bit more time to Nero to flesh him out. As it stands, his personality remains slightly unclear if you're going just by the movie.

- I'd heard there was going to be lots of humor in the film, but I was pleasantly surprised that A) it actually WAS funny, and B) they were able to work in the funny moments in unobtrusive ways. Such as the looks on Kirk's and Scotty's faces when they witness Spock and Uhura kissing on the transporter pad. Or Kirk and Spock's quick conversation before they decide what to do about Nero at the end. And lots of little "physical comedy" bits that really played well. It's when they go the other extreme - Kirk's swollen hands, Scotty's trip through the engineering tubes - that the humor falls a bit flatter. That said, I'm sure some of the audience will still love that stuff too.

- Love the new warp effect. I don't mean the warp tunnel itself, which I also like. I'm talking about watching a ship going into warp. It's literally like a gunshot. Very cool effect.

[I've removed the size tags and added lines between paragraphs to make it a little easier to read. - M']

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  20. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Something's been bothering me a bit as I think about it. Can someone who's already seen the movie help me out, here?

The gravitational field of the black hole they create to destroy Nero's ship traps the Enterprise, too. So I'm wondering, where was the Enterprise while Vulcan was falling in on itself? Close? Far away? How did they avoid getting trapped by that black hole's gravitational field?