MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Do you happen to have a link handy?

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I recall, Nolan et al. ditched super-speed, probably because visually this has to be done in one of two ways. Either the rest of the screen freezes, which contradicts Snyder's kinetic style, or something invisible blows by, which takes the hero out of the picture entirely.

I thought the fight scenes went on too long because I got bored. It takes about one to understand that they are equally invulnerable to their environment. The only way that they can hurt each other is by Kryptonian flesh, which is so much tougher than anything in the landscape. The question then is why these people don't just duke it out? Because Nolan et al. enjoyed landscape demolition in its own right, obviously. I didn't so much, so the fights got a little draggy.

Part of the problem with the annihilation of Metropolis is bad direction/scene plotting. Sometimes it seems as though the entire city is destroyed, others a "just" a few blocks. Since so much of the destruction comes from a pointless attempt to use buildings to hurt Kryptonians, it easily seems like indifference. And on another level, Superman being so powerless undermines the whole point of the Superman figure, a daydream of invincibility.

But for my part the most stunning depowering of Superman for allegedly dramatic purposes was Superman gasping on the deck of the ship. The opposite effect, Kryptonians having trouble in Earth's atmosphere, was clumsily handled. Did we really see Superman removing masks as a tactic? The results seemed decidedly variable.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

4. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Especially because they didn't seem to have any problems with the vacuum of space.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And yet, my original statement and example still stands while your example of superman floating next to Lois works much better if you replace "trajectory" with "velocity".

Regardless, Superman has been shown to change trajectory and velocity without affecting those near him.

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dunno, but previous movies are no more or less relevant to Clark's "innate powers" than old comic stories are.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, after sitting through the incredibly tedious and mindnumbing action of the Pirates and Transformers sequels, I thought the action here flew by relatively quick.

It's definitely fast and intense and "in your face", but the actual length didn't seem that bad to me at all.

And I also thought there was also enough variety in the action too. The only one that threatened to become a bit "monotonous" was the final one between Superman and Zod, where it seems like they just take turns throwing each other through buildings for awhile. But even then you had that awesome sequence at the construction site with the steel girder, and the sequence with the satellite. So there was at least a little bit of variety there.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I thought it was a nice dose of realism, seeing them have to struggle a bit in the different atmospheres of their planets. Because it doesn't matter how strong you are; if you can't breathe, you're not going to be a whole lot of use to anybody.

And I think Jor-el explained that the nutrients in Earth's atmosphere have as much to do with Clark's powers as the yellow sun. So apparently both things need to work together for him to get the full effect.

And Zod and Faora both seemed to struggle about the same amount when exposed to Earth's air, it seemed to me (with Faora even wincing in pain at one point).

9. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

D

I just came back from watching the Man of steel, and I must said I was disappointed.

The story was boring, it went too slow and the CGI looked fake. The action scenes were quite boring as fell. An explosion here, another explosion there, punch punch, bodies flying through walls, rinse and repeat. A real snooze fest.

Disliked how Jonathan Kent died. Really, send Clark with the girl and the dad gets the dog? It was too convenient how Zod requested Lois to tag along, and then throw here in a cell where she could connect the USB-thingy.

The new Spiderman reboot was way better than this movie. Spiderman actually entertained. This movie felt more like the last Spiderman before the reboots, with Venom and emo Parker.

I didn't mind that Lois used here skills to find Supermans identity, that was good, but thought the whole movie could have been better.

I doubt I'll ever watch this movie again

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw MoS a few days ago and I loved every minute of it.
    I can't wait to see it again and see what they'll do with the next one.

Voting A

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ha!

13. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't matter. Made half a billion! :p

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, that "one way" is "someone dies" it was just a matter of who it is.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's a badly written line though. "There's only one way this ends, Kal. With one of us dead!" says the same thing without the new math. ;)

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll settle this the old Navy way: whoever dies first, loses.

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

IDK man compared to preventing a gravity enhancing terraforming machine on opposite sides of the planet is no small feat. By comparison laying the hurt on aliens riding scouters who were vulnerable to arrows and bullets seems like a cake walk for someone with Superman's powers.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Supes is Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man combined. He would have been able to beat up all those Leviathans, beat Loki to a pulp and take care of all those minions.

Actually, it would be fun to see the Avengers battle recreated with Superman. Anyone got a couple of millions left?

19. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Supes vs the cube: Top of stark towers goes thru the portal, cube and emitter included.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Iron Man had gone up against the Kryptonians, Tony Stark would be a greasy streak on the street now - this is a three-second problem for Zod. :lol: